Monte Cristo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce: A gussied up version of a grilled cheese sandwich is a Monte Cristo, or a fried ham and cheese sandwich. But this is not just any Monte Cristo–this one has been dipped in a french toast batter and then topped with a fresh blackberry syrup.
Monte Cristo. Sounds to me like it should be a movie. Maybe it is, I am not really up to date with movies.
But the definition of a Monte Cristo is a just a fried ham and cheese sandwich. Sounds like a great version of a grilled cheese sandwich, doesn’t it?
And since April is Grilled Cheese Month (we find every reason to celebrate don’t we?!), it would be a great time to make a gussied up grilled cheese, right?
Plus, you may have a bit of leftover ham from Easter, and if you don’t there is great deli ham everywhere now. So what better time to make a fried ham and cheese sandwich?
However, let’s just not make a simple fried ham and cheese sandwich, let’s really go all out. Let’s dip the sandwich in a french toast batter, fry it up, and top it with a homemade blackberry syrup.
Yep, thought so. My son thought this was the best grilled cheese EVA!!!! I may have gotten an extra large hug from him. And in my book I am happy to do just about ANYTHING to get a hug from my boy–especially when it is something I can enjoy as well.
Be sure to check out all my Easy Healthy 30 Minute Family Meals!
Monte Cristo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce #SundaySupper
- 6 oz fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 slice whole wheat bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 oz ham thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- powdered sugar optional (for dusting)
For Blackberry Sauce:
Combine berries, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and lemon juice in small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Let simmer until berries only begin to slightly break down, only about 5 minutes.
Spread 4 slices of bread with Dijon mustard. Layer the remaining 4 slices of bread with the ham and cheese, dividing ham and cheese evenly. Place slice of bread that has been spread with mustard on top of slice with ham and cheese--making four sandwiches.
Heat butter in large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, nutmeg and remaining maple syrup. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, flipping to coat on both sides of the sandwich.
Place each sandwich in melted butter in skillet, and pan fry on each side until golden--about 5 minutes per side.
Place one sandwich on a serving plate, dust with powdered sugar, if using. And divide the blackberry sauce evenly between the sandwiches.
Sunday Supper Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
Not You Average ‘Wiches
- Inside Out BBQ Ribs Grilled Cheese by The Freshman Cook
- Mozzarella Stick Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Patty Grilled Cheese Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Ramen Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
Protein Filled ‘Wiches
- Avocado Bacon Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Crazed Mom
- Bacon Cheddar Grilled Chip Butty by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Dill Havarti and Salmon by My World Simplified
- Grilled Liz Lemon Sandwich by Cricket’s Confections
- How to Make Reuben Paninis by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Shrimp and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Sweet and Savory ‘Wiches
- Applewood Gouda and Pear Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bacon, Apple, Brie Panini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
Veggie Loaded ‘Wiches
- Apricot Poblano Grilled Cheese Sandwich by My Life Cookbook
- Arugula Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese by Helpful Homemade
- Caprese Grilled Eggplant Roll Ups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Brie With Smoky Portobellos and Caramelized Onions by Simple and Savory
- Banana FluffaNutella Grilled Cheese by Soulfully Made
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- The Ultimate Doughnut Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots