Fresh spring vegetables are sauteed with bacon and then baked with cheesy eggs for a hearty, healthy frittata. This Asparagus Frittata is a perfect light option for brunch or breakfast.
Frittata's make a great item to feature at any brunch. They are easy to make, affordable, and gluten-free. While I love my recipe for Spinach Frittata, Instant Pot Frittata, and Oven Baked Potato Frittata, in the spring, this Asparagus Frittata is my absolute favorite version. Paired with a Strawberry Spinach Salad, it makes for a healthy brunch that celebrated the beautiful produce spring has to offer.
I love frittata's just about any way I can get them!
But this Asparagus Frittata is perfect for spring.
Crisp tender asparagus and broccoli are sauteed with a bit of bacon for a rich, smokey base. And then baked up with fluffy, creamy eggs, for a delightful gluten-free frittata.
The bacon adds just the right flavor to the crisp green vegetables, making this frittata appeal to even vegetable opposed eaters. It is a delicious, easy combination that is not only great for brunch but also makes a great option for lunch or a light dinner.
- Eggs--Use standard large eggs. any variety. If you are watching cholesterol, feel free to use 9 egg whites in place of the 6 whole eggs.
- Bacon--The bacon adds a smokiness that really compliments the vegetables. Use pork or turkey bacon. If you are vegetarian, omit the bacon and saute the vegetables in olive oil instead of the rendered bacon fat.
- Vegetables: Fresh asparagus, broccoli, and minced onion are a fabulous combination. Feel free to omit the onion if desired. You can also replace the asparagus with additional broccoli and vice versa.
- Cream: Feel free to use milk, half and half, or heavy cream in this recipe. If using non-dairy milk, unsweetened soy milk works best.
- Cheese: Parmesan, feta, or Swiss are all great options for this Frittata. Of you may omit the cheese altogether if desired.
How to make Asparagus Frittata
- In a large oven-safe skillet or cast iron skillet, saute bacon, until crisp-tender.
- Remove bacon from skillet and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain all but ½ tablespoon bacon grease.
- Add in broccoli, asparagus, and sweet onions.
- Mix eggs, cheese, cream, and spices together until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables.
- Place frittata into the oven to bake until eggs are set up.
More Brunch Recipes
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Hash
- Easy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- The Best Classic Quiche Recipe
- Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Gluten Free Savory Asparagus Tart from Fearless Dining
Whether gathering with friends, looking for a light meal, or entertaining for a holiday brunch, this Asparagus frittata makes a great option.
- 3 strips thick bacon chopped
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 1 cup asparagus chopped
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup cream or milk
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oven to 350.
- Saute the bacon over medium heat in an oven proof skillet to render out the fat. Remove the bacon from the skillet and add the asparagus and broccoli into the rendered fat. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon back into the skillet and then pour the egg mixture over the vegetables.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake fro 20 minutes until the eggs are set and the top is browned.
- If you would like an even crispier crust, broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Feel free to use milk, half and half, or heavy cream in this recipe. If using non-dairy milk, unsweetened soy milk works best.
- In place of Parmesan cheese, use Swiss or Feta.
- If you are watching cholesterol, feel free to use 9 egg whites in place of the 6 whole eggs.
- Use pork or turkey bacon. If you are vegetarian, omit the bacon and saute the vegetables in olive oil instead of the rendered bacon fat.
- Feel free to omit the onion if desired. You can also replace the asparagus with additional broccoli and vice versa.
- IMPORTANT You must use a 10 inch oven safe skillet to make this frittata. If you do not have an oven safe skillet, saute vegetables as indicated and then transfer the veggies to a 9 or 10 inch pie plate and pour eggs over the vegetables and bake. You may need to add 3-5 minutes to bake time.
- Frittatas can be served warm, cold, or at room temperature. They are safe to leave out for 2 hours at room temperature. Store leftovers for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
This post was originally published in 2016 but has been updated in 2020 with new pictures and a video.