Homemade Pumpkin Butter is an easy recipe that can be ready in less than 30 minutes when prepared on the stove or made in the slow cooker for a hands-off simple recipe. Filled with warming spices and sweet maple syrup, this pumpkin butter is the perfect fall treat.
Pumpkin butter is a lot like apple butter, a thick, rich, sweetened spread that is filled with flavor.
My secret to the BEST pumpkin butter is apple cider. The apple cider works to flavor and sweeten the pumpkin butter. Along with maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg, this pumpkin butter is
How to Make Pumpkin Butter
Pumpkin Butter is so simple and quick and can be prepared on the stove or in the slow cooker.
Stove Top Directions
- Bring ingredients to boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer , stirring frequently, and simmer for 30 minutes. You are looking for the pumpkin butter to be shiny and have a dark orange color.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Stir together all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours in the slow cooker.
- Slather it on toast, English muffins, Pumpkin Muffins, Apple Spice Bread, or even pancakes.
- Stir into cooked oatmeal and top with chopped nuts.
- Steam some milk and stir in a tablespoon of the pumpkin butter and top with strong coffee--your own Pumpkin Spice Latte.
- Stir in a few tablespoons into the coating for french toast.
- Make a sharp cheddar quesadilla and dip into the pumpkin butter--that sweet and savory combination is so good.
- Eat it by the spoonful.
- Give it as a gift.
More Pumpkin Recipes
Homemade Pumpkin Butter
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 1 cup apple cider
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Place all ingredients into large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Store in glass jars for up to 2 weeks.
- You can use pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger--just use 3 teaspoons. I personally like more of a cinnamon and nutmeg flavor.
- You can use cooked pumpkin puree instead of canned pumpkin puree. Pumpkin puree is one canned product, I take the convenience of.
- Be sure to use 100% pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling.
- Pumpkin Butter will store in the fridge for 2 weeks or freezer for 3 months.