Add a little magic to your oatmeal with this recipe for Hot Chocolate Oatmeal! Creamy, rich, and satisfying, this chocolate oatmeal recipe will make the big and little kids happy!
Hot Chocolate Oatmeal
If you are looking for a way to get kids out of bed and excited for breakfast even on early school mornings, this recipe for Hot Chocolate Oatmeal is sure to do the trick.
Seriously, chocolate for breakfast is never a bag thing! Especially when it is healthy!
This oatmeal is rich and decadent and filled with chocolate, but yet is also packed full of fiber, calcium, whole grains, and antioxidants.
Chocolate oatmeal is seriously a win-win. Healthy and Decadent!
Throw on some marshmallows and this chocolate oatmeal is transformed into a cozy bowl that is reminiscent of hot chocolate.
I mean Marshmallows for breakfast!! I may have one the greatest mom award with just a few nuggets of sugar!
So grab a spoon or two and treat your kids to a special breakfast. Or enjoy a bowl of this Hot Chocolate Oatmeal and let yourself feel like a kid again!
How to Make Chocolate Oatmeal
Making chocolate oatmeal is as simple as adding cocoa powder and a bit of sweetener into oats while they cook. I find that this oatmeal recipe does not need much sugar added at all–especially when topped with marshmallows! I use just a bit of maple syrup to bring out the chocolate flavors. You can of course use granulated sugar in place of maple syrup, but I love the flavor that maple imparts to oatmeal as well.
The only thing that is important to remember while making chocolate oatmeal, is to be careful to not scorch the milk while cooking. To avoid this pitfall, I add a bit of water to the milk and whisk often while the mixture is coming to a boil.
You can use any milk you like–almond milk, coconut milk, dairy milk, or soy milk. Because we are just using cocoa powder, not actual chocolate, it is easy to make this oatmeal dairy free by just using dairy-free milk.
While not as decadent as my recipe for Homemade Hot Chocolate, this Hot Chocolate Oatmeal still feels like indulgent way to start the day!
More Oatmeal Recipes
Hot Chocolate Oatmeal
- 3 cups milk of your choice
- 1 cups water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cup maple syrup use 1/3 cup if like really sweet
- 2 cups oats old fashioned
- dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- marshmallows if desired
- Mix together the cocoa powder in 1/2 cup water until the cocoa powder is dissolved and smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder mixture to a medium saucepan, along with the milk, remaining 1/2 cup of water, and maple syrup. Bring the mixture to a boil, while whisking frequently, to not scorch the milk.
- Stir in the oats and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes or until the oats are thickened and creamy. Stir in vanilla and a dash of salt. Top with marshmallows if desired.
- Use any milk you like for this chocolate oatmeal. I have used regular milk, coconut milk and almond milk with great success.
- I only needed to add 1/4 cup maple syrup to this recipe for Chocolate Oatmeal. If you are used to really sweet things, you can increase the maple syrup up to 1/3 cup.
- I used old fashioned oats for this recipes, but quick cooking oats work as well.
- I love these vegan marshmallows because they have no food color added or high fructose corn syrup or gelatin, but use any marshmallows you