Hot Chocolate Oatmeal: Healthy Hot Cocoa Oatmeal is the MOST fun way to eat oatmeal! A decadent, yet healthy way to start the day! Creamy, rich and satisfying. This chocolate oatmeal recipe will make the big and little kids happy!!
Yes, I went there. HOT COCOA OATMEAL.
Well, can you blame me? It was the perfect way to deal with a week of “Snow Days.” AKA Ice Days.
And this chocolate oatmeal is so tasty, you may want to start everyday with this. Even the sunny and warm days.
Let me just say that I had 2 grumpy kiddos until I served them up this healthy oatmeal. I mean like they woke up like Oscar the Grouch.
One bite of Hot Chocolate Oatmeal, and there were squeals of joy and smiles the size of Texas.
Hot Chocolate Oatmeal
Marshmallows for breakfast!! I may have one the greatest mom award with just a few nuggets of sugar!
And can I dare say this is HEALTHY too?
I know, you are squealing for joy right now too!!
I mean oatmeal is a super food and the chocolate gives you antioxidants!! It is a win, win!!
Notes on Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal:
- Use any milk you like for this chocolate oatmeal. I have used regular milk, coconut milk and almond milk with great success.
- I only needed to add 1/4 cup maple syrup to this recipe for Chocolate Oatmeal. If you are used to really sweet things, you can increase the maple syrup up to 1/3 cup.
- I used old fashioned oats for this recipes, but quick cooking oats work as well.
- I love these vegan marshmallows because they have no food colorings or high fructose corn syrup or gelatin, but use any marshmallows you like.
So grab a spoon or two and treat your kids to a special breakfast. Or let yourself feel like a kid again! Come on, remember the excitement we felt when we had a snow day!!
And if you are looking for a dairy free version–check out Allergy Girl Eats Vegan Chocolate Oatmeal!
My Breakfast Recipes
Hot Cocoa Oatmeal
- 4 cups milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cup maple syrup use 1/2 cup if like really sweet
- 2 cups oats old fashioned
- dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- marshmallows if desired
- Bring milk, cocoa powder and maple syrup to a boil.
- Add in oats and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Stir in vanilla and a dash of salt. Top with marshmallows if desired.
For More Oatmeal Recipes: