This Spiced Vanilla Chai Oatmeal tastes like your favorite chai latte! Flavored with a blend of black tea, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and vanilla this creamy bowl of wholesome oatmeal is a delicious, flavorful way to start your day!
Spiced Vanilla Chai Oatmeal
Combining Chai Latte with my morning oatmeal has quickly become a favorite at my house.
Perfectly sweet, a tiny bit spicy, and filled with warmth from the blend of spices, this oatmeal takes on the flavor of a chai latte, yet makes a much heartier and filling breakfast than a latte alone!
How To Prepare Chai Oatmeal
- Mix together the dried spices to form homemade chai seasoning.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, milk, chai seasoning, and tea bags to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring occassionally, until oatmeal has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Prepare a large batch of homemade chai seasoning and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the pantry. Use to flavor oatmeal, tea, or make homemade Chai Lattes by adding 1 teaspoon homemade chai seasoning to 1 cup freshly brewed black tea along with ½ cup of warmed, frothed milk.
- You can use any milk you like in this Chai Oatmeal recipe. I love to use unsweetened vanilla almond milk for the extra vanilla flavoring, but coconut milk, cow's milk and soy milk all work.
- Be sure to use decaffeinated black tea if serving to your children for breakfast, or keep the caffeine to get your morning fix all from your bowl of oatmeal.
- If you would like to use Chia tea bags in place of black tea bags, I recommend still adding ½ to 1 teaspoon homemade chai seasoning to your oatmeal for optimal chai flavor.
- To keep this healthy oatmeal recipe gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats.
- If like your Chai spicy, add in a dash of ground black pepper to this oatmeal.
More Oatmeal Recipes
- Slow Cooker Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Overnight Oats
- Healthy Baked Sweet Potato Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Oatmeal
If you enjoyed this recipe for Chai Oatmeal, be sure to leave a comment and review below.
Spiced Vanilla Chai Oatmeal
For the Spiced Vanilla Chai Oatmeal
- 2 black tea bags
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chai seasoning
- 2 cups old fashoned oats
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seed optional
- 3 cups milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Homemade Chai Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
For the Chai Seasoning
- Mix all the spices together and store them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
For the Chai Oatmeal
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, milk, chai seasoning, and tea bags to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds so that milk does not scold.
- Discard tea bags and stir in oats. Cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract and serve.
- Use any milk you like.
- In place of a black tea bag you can use a chai flavored tea. I would still add in ½ to 1 teaspoon chai seasoning for flavor.
- If you don't want to make chai seasoning to have on hand, use ¾ teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, cardamon, and all spice and a pinch of cloves.
- To keep this gluten-free, be sure to use gluten free oats.
- Nutrition facts are based on using almond milk.