Overnight Strawberries and Cream Steel Cut Oatmeal: Mix all the ingredients together in a slow cooker and set it before bed and wake up to a hearty, gluten-free slow cooker oatmeal! This crock-pot strawberry and cream oatmeal is a creamy delicious way to start any day!
If there is one thing that I am incredibly ashamed of from my high school days, it is the fact that I skipped breakfast almost every single day.
Wait, if THAT was my biggest regret in High School, I am one lucky girl. But I will save my serious regrets for another time….or not–LOL!!!
But in all seriousness, I NEVER left time to eat breakfast in the morning and about 10 am at school, I would hop in line to buy some freshly baked cookies from the cafeteria–real healthy, huh?!
Nowadays, if I even wait an hour to eat breakfast after getting up, I turn into the grump of all grumps and if I am really not careful, I will pass out from blood sugar issues. So NOW I make breakfast a priority–for myself AND for my family, hence why I have a huge arsenal of easy, healthy breakfast recipes.
And as you know, oatmeal or any recipe with oats, happen to be one of my favorite go-tos for healthy meals.
Slow-Cooker Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
The problem with having breakfast on the table for my family, once again is TIME.
My youngest needs to leave the house at 6:50 to get to school–that is early!!!
And between getting her dressed, hair combed (I have long given up on braids and bows, as she takes them out of her hair by the time I drop her off at school), I have little time to throw together breakfast.
I am all about the make-ahead breakfasts to make my life easier!
I love to have Freezer Egg and Ham Breakfast Sandwiches and Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins stashed in the freezer for eat and run breakfasts, but my family also really loves oatmeal for breakfast–be it Overnight Banana Pudding Oatmeal or Overnight Morning Glory Oatmeal for a cold treat.
Or for a warm, filling breakfast, we love this Overnight Strawberries and Cream Steel Cut Oats.
I am pretty sure if y’all have been around here much, you KNOW how much I love Oatmeal.
I love that it is a whole grain that is packed full of fiber and known to help regulate blood sugar and keep you full for hours! I also love the varieties and options for oatmeal are endless–like Oatmeal Pancakes, Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal, or even Oatmeal Cookies.
I also love that you can make crockpot oatmeal. My new favorite oatmeal for the slow cooker is Slow Cooker Strawberry Oatmeal.
I love this crock-pot oatmeal is made with steel cut oats for a chewier, heartier texture and I absolutely adore the strawberry flavor. The Greek yogurt helps boost protein and creaminess and the cinnamon wakes the dish up with flavor. But the BEST part???? This oatmeal is made in the SLOW-COOKER while I sleep. Talk about a time-saver!
I get to wake up to my house smelling like strawberries and cream and have a few extra minutes to help tie shoes, or heaven forbid–sleep!
Notes on Crock-Pot Oatmeal
- Use any milk you like for this oatmeal recipe. I have used almond milk and regular milk with delicious results.
- It is a really good idea to either grease insert in your slow-cooker or use a slow-cooker liner for easy clean-up.
- I have never had an issue with the steel cut oats burning in my slow cooker. However, each slow cooker is different. If your slow cooker burns the bottom of the oats, just don’t stir the burnt bottom into the remaining oatmeal and you can eat the rest of the strawberry oatmeal. In the future, cut back cooking time by 2 hours.
- Feel free to use ANY fruit you like for this slow cooker steel cut oats recipe. Blueberries, peaches, and raspberries have all been huge successes at my house.
- The strawberries make this dish perfectly sweet for my family, but a drizzle of honey or maple syrup will sweeten perfectly if desired.
How to Make Strawberries and Cream Slow Cooker Oatmeal
Overnight Strawberries and Cream Steel Cut Oatmeal (Slow Cooker)
Steel cut oats made in slow cooker for an easy, healthy breakfast.
- 2 cups steel cut oats no substitution
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups milk I used almond milkhttps://amindfullmom.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=8010&action=edit#
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt--plus additional for topping use coconut yogurt if dairy free
- 2 cups strawberries divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of sea salt
- honey or maple syrup if desired
Mix oats, water, milk, 1 cup yogurt, 1 1/2 cups strawberries, cinnamon, vanilla and sea salt together in large slow cooker (grease with coconut oil or spray for easier clean-up). Place lid on slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on low for firm texture and 8 hours on low for softer texture. Alternatively, cook on high for 3-4 hours.
To serve, dish up oats and top with additional strawberries, a dollop of yogurt and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup if desired.
If you like this Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe, you may like these: