This Sweet Potato Oatmeal is an easy recipe for baked oatmeal featuring sweet potato puree, rich maple syrup, and warming spices.
If you have ever heard of Amish Baked Oatmeal, this recipe for Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal has a very similar texture. It is thick, hearty, and nearly slices up like cake.
But what sets this recipe for Sweet Potato Oatmeal apart is the flavor. From the sweet, earthiness of the sweet potatoes, paired with rich maple syrup to the warming spices, this baked oatmeal tastes a lot like Sweet Potato Casserole--in breakfast form!
Notes on Ingredients Needed
- Oats: Use old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats, not steel-cut oats for this baked oatmeal recipe.
- Milk: Any variety of milk works. Whole milk, skim milk, almond milk, soy milk, and coconut milk all produce delicious results.
- Maple Syrup: Pure maple syrup pairs really well with the spices and sweet potato in this oatmeal recipe, but feel free to use equal amounts of brown sugar in its place.
- Sweet Potato Puree: Use canned or homemade sweet potato puree. Or simply mashed up leftover baked sweet potatoes.
- Egg: An egg helps to bind this oatmeal together and make it more like a cake texture. Feel free to omit if you have an egg allergy.
- Coconut Oil: Melted butter can be substituted in place of coconut oil if desired.
How to Make Baked Sweet Potato Oatmeal
- Mix together milk, maple syrup, vanilla, egg, flaxseed, coconut oil, sweet potato puree, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together until well combined.
- Add in oats and stir until oats are well incorporated.
- Pour oatmeal into a greased 2-quart baking dish and bake until the oatmeal is set, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serve with additional maple syrup and chopped nuts if desired.
How to Prep Baked Oatmeal in Advance
This oatmeal is a great recipe to make the night before and store in the refrigerator.
- Assemble the oatmeal up to baking and cover and refrigerate overnight (or up to 24 hours in advance.)
- Remove oatmeal from the fridge while the oven preheats to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until oatmeal is warmed through and set.
Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal
If you are not a sweet potato fan or don't have sweet potato puree on hand, canned pumpkin puree works in equal amounts.
- Use 1 cup pure canned or homemade pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) in place of the sweet potato puree.
- Instead of cinnamon and nutmeg add in 1 and ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice OR 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger, and ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Follow the instructions for the remaining ingredients and bake time.
More Oatmeal Recipes
If you gave this Healthy Sweet Potato Oatmeal a try, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Sweet Potato Oatmeal
- 2 cups uncooked rolled oats
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups milk any variety
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter plus more for greasing baking dish
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart or 8-inch square pan with butter or coconut oil.
- Mix together milk, maple syrup, vanilla, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet potato puree, baking powder, flax, melted butter (or coconut oil) and salt together until well combined. Add in oats and stir just until incorporated and oats are coated.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until oats are tender and moisture has been absorbed.
- Serve warm with additional maple syrup and chopped walnuts if desired.
Have you ever adapted this recipe for the slow cooker?
Any thoughts, please?
Hi Karen! The ingredients for this recipe would not work well in a slow cooker without quite a bit of modification--as it is intended to "bake up" and become sliceable. I personally would not use rolled oats in the slow cooker as they can become quite mushy. However, you may love my recipe for Slow Cooker Maple Oatmeal. It would be delicious with the addition of the sweet potato puree.