Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole is a quick and easy recipe made with layers of hash browns, sausage, cheese, and eggs.
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole is a spin on a family and fan-favorite recipe-Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole. With layers of sausage, cheese, and potatoes, it is easy to see why everyone loves this recipe!
I took the classic recipe and made it Instant Pot-friendly and the results are spectacular!
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole is hearty, filling, cheesy, and super easy to make! It is a great option when you don't want to use your oven, don't have access to an oven, or just want to enjoy a simple, yet flavorful, brunch!
Notes on Ingredients & Equipment
- Hash browns: You can use defrosted shredded or cubed hash browns. Plain or O'Brien-style hash browns both work well in this recipe.
- Cheese: Use any sharp, melting cheese, like cheddar, Colby, or Swiss.
- Cream: Use milk, cream, or half and half--whatever you have on hand.
- Sausage: I love using homemade breakfast sausage to add flavor and bulk, but you can opt to omit the sausage and add cubed ham or sauteed vegetables in place of sausage.
- Cake Pan: In order to cook the breakfast casserole in the Instant Pot, you need to have a cake pan that will fit! This recipe uses a 7x3 or 7x4 inch cake pan. You will also need to use the trivet that came with your pressure cooker to raise the pan above the water as it cooks.
How to Make Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
Step One: Saute Sausage
- Turn the pressure cooker to saute and let heat.
- Add in the sausage and cook until browned, breaking it into bite-sized pieces as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is browned, remove the cooked breakfast sausage from the instant pot and set it aside to use for the casserole.
Step Two: Deglaze the Pan
- To the inner pot, add water and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot. This is crucial to preventing a burn notice.
- Add the trivet into the inner pot. You want to keep the baking dish/cake pan lifted above the water while pressure cooking.
Step Three: Prepare Breakfast Casserole
- Lightly grease an oven-safe 7 inch by 4 inch baking dish. To make the casserole easier to remove from the pan, I like to line the bottom of the dish with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit.
- Spread the hash browns out in an even layer in the prepared pan and top with the cooked, reserved sausage.
- In a medium mixing bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and hash browns.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the casserole.
Step Four: Pressure Cook
- Tightly cover the baking dish with foil.
- Place the prepared casserole onto the trivet in the inner pot.
- Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release naturally for at LEAST 5 minutes, 10 minutes is best, and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the pan from the inner pot and remove the foil.
Step Five: Serve
I find it is easiest to serve this casserole dish if I invert the casserole onto a serving platter. This makes for beautiful slices and protects my pans from being scraped up by knives. I will say if planning to do this, it is best to line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper AND grease the sides with nonstick spray or butter.
- Gently loosen the casserole from the sides of the pan using a rubber spatula or knife.
- Place a plate or platter on top of the casserole and flip it over, remove the parchment paper and then invert the casserole again, so it is cheese side up.
- Slice in wedges or squares as pictured earlier. Serve as desired.
More Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes
- Instant Pot Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
- Instant Pot Egg Bites
I would love for you to give this fast breakfast casserole a try and be sure to leave a review below. I love to hear from you!
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
- 3 cups cubed or shredded hash browns defrosted
- ½ pound ground breakfast sausage
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup cream or milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar or Colby cheese shredded
- Turn the pressure cooker to saute and let heat. Once heated, add in the sausage and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove the cooked breakfast sausage from the instant pot. Turn the Instant Pot OFF.
- Add 1.5 cups cold water to the Instant Pot and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot to prevent burn notice. Place the trivet inside the inner pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs with cream, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Spray an oven-safe 7x3-inch or 7x4-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and if desired, line the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit.
- Spread the hash browns over the bottom of the pan and then top with the cooked sausage. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and hash browns. Sprinkle with cheese and cover with foil.
- Place the prepared casserole on the trivet in the pressure cooker. Using the manual or pressure cook button, set it to cook on high Pressure for 20 minutes, using the manual button. If you use heavy-duty foil to cover this casserole, you will want to increase the cooking time by 5 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release manually for 5 to 10 minutes and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Remove the foil, gently loosen the sides of the casserole dish with a silicone spatula or knife and then invert the casserole dish out onto a dish. Remove parchment paper if needed and invert the casserole dish out onto a serving platter, so that the casserole is cheese side up. Slice and serve.