This is an easy recipe for a classic sausage breakfast casserole that has been modified for the pressure cooker. This Instant Pot Breakfast casserole is quick and easy to prepare, making this hash brown egg bake perfect for busy mornings.
I love breakfast casseroles.
The great thing about breakfast casseroles is that they can be prepped ahead of time and baked in the morning for an easy, hearty breakfast perfect for a crowd.
But when using the Instant Pot, a breakfast casserole can be ready in less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
Hash browns, sausage, eggs and cheese are the stars in this easy gluten free breakfast dish.
This breakfast casserole is hearty, filling, cheesy, and EASY to make.
How To Make Instant Pot Hash Brown Casserole
Step One: Saute Sausage
- Turn pressure cooker to saute and let heat.
- Add in sausage and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Remove cooked breakfast sausage from instant pot.
- Add in 1 cup water to inner pan of instant pot and add trivet into pressure cooker.
Step Two: Make Egg Mixture
- Whisk together eggs with milk and seasonings until well combined.
Step Three: Layer Breakfast Casserole
- Lightly grease an oven safe 6 inch by 4 inch baking dish.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with defrosted hash browns.
- Sprinkle sausage over hash browns.
- Pour eggs over sausage and hash browns.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Step Four: Cook Breakfast Casserole
- Tightly cover baking dish with foil.
- Place casserole on trivet in pressure cooker.
- Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes, using manual button.
- Allow pressure to release manually for 5 minutes and then do a quick release
A Few Notes on Instant Pot Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- I like to use Turkey or Chicken Breakfast Sausage for this breakfast casserole, but pork sausage or even cooked bacon is a great option.
- It is best for your hash browns to be defrosted for this casserole.
- Use any sharp, melting cheese to top this casserole. I think cheddar, Colby, or Swiss are perfect options for this casserole.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Instant Pot Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Hash
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
- 3 cups hash browns defrosted
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup colby cheese shredded
- Turn pressure cooker to saute and let heat. Add in sausage and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove cooked breakfast sausage from instant pot. Add in 1 cup cold water to inner pan of instant pot for 6 quart instant pot and 1.5 cups cold water to the instant Pot for an 8 quart instant pot and add trivet into pressure cooker. Scrape up any browned bits on bottom of inner pot to prevent burn notice.
Prepare Breakfast Casserole
- Whisk together eggs with milk and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Lightly grease an oven safe 6 inch by 4 inch baking dish. Cover the bottom of the pan with defrosted hash browns. Sprinkle sausage over hash browns. Pour eggs mixture over sausage and hash browns. Sprinkle with cheese and cover with foil.
- Place casserole on trivet in pressure cooker. Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes, using manual button.
- Allow pressure to release manually for 5 minutes and then do a quick release and serve.
- Be sure your hash browns are fully defrosted. If not, this casserole will take MUCH longer to cook.
- If you use a super heavy duty foil to cover this casserole, you will want to increase cook time by 5 minutes.