Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is a quick and easy soup recipe filled with hearty sausage, rich tomato broth, and tender pasta. It is one of the best one-pot meals around and is ready in just 30 minutes thanks to the Instant Pot.
All of the flavors that you love in classic lasagna are featured in this simple recipe for Instant Pot Lasagna Soup. Pair with a tossed Greek salad and homemade garlic toast for a delicious meal the entire family will rave about.
I will never forget the first time my mom made Lasagna Soup for me. I was a bit skeptical, as her lasagna was one of my all-time favorite meals. But after one bite, I fell head over heels in love with this Italian Soup.
I have been making my mom's lasagna soup recipe for decades now on the stovetop. But I have updated the recipe to create an Instant Pot version that is RIDICULOUSLY fast to make.
Filled with Italian Sausage, carrots, onions, and pasta in a rich tomato-based sauce, this hearty Italian soup is comforting and soothing to my soul. It is so incredibly flavorful, so hearty, and downright delicious. Not to mention incredibly easy to make.
- Sausage: Use any Italian flavored sausage you like--chicken, turkey, or pork.
- Tomato Sauce: I recommend using pre-made spaghetti sauce or marinara gives this soup so much more flavor than using plain canned tomato sauce.
- Noodles: Use 1 cup of any variety of noodles you like. Broken up lasagna noodles, elbow noodles, bow-tie noodles, etc.
- Spinach: Feel free to use kale in place of spinach. You can also use defrosted and drained frozen spinach but add to the soup BEFORE pressure cooking for the best results.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute function and add in a bit of oil.
- Once heated, add in the sausage, onions, and carrots and saute until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 1 minute longer and then TURN the Instant Pot off.
- Drain off excess grease if needed and return the inner pot back to the Instant Pot.
- Add in the chicken stock and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot to prevent a burn warning.
- Add stewed tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, seasonings, and pasta to the pressure cooker and stir to combine.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and turn the knob to the sealed position and cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes.
- Once cook time has elapsed, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. This is the perfect amount of time to cook the noodles perfectly.
- After 5 minutes have elapsed, do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Normally, I state to do a natural pressure release when cooking soups, as the inner pot is filled with hot liquid. But in order to not overcook the noodles, you only want to release pressure for 5 minutes. Just be sure to stand away from the vent knob when you do a quick release of pressure to protect yourself from hot steam or liquid that may escape from the vent knob. You may even opt to place a kitchen towel lightly over the knob to prevent splatter.
- Stir spinach into hot Lasagna soup, allowing the spinach to wilt.
- Serve Lasagna Soup with shredded or fresh Mozzarella Cheese and shredded Parmesan Cheese.
Leftover Lasagna Soup may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. You may need to add in a bit of extra stock to reheat, as the noodles will absorb the liquid as they sit.
- Gluten-Free Modifications: Be sure the sausage and chicken broth you use are both gluten-free and use Barilla gluten-free noodles. Other brands give off too much starch and do not hold up well in this Instant Pot recipe.
- Low-Fat Version: To cut back on the fat in this soup, opt to use lean chicken Italian sausage and/or be sure to drain off any excess grease after sauteeing. Alternatively, don't drain off the excess grease rendered from the sausage for a really rich and decadent soup.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Lasagna
- Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- Instant Pot Creamy Italian Pasta
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
If you enjoyed this recipe for Instant Pot Lasagna Soup, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- ½ tablespoon oil
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 large carrot peeled, and diced
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 16 ounces Italian Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup dried pasta such as rotini, campenelle, elbow noodles, etc
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese for serving
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute function and add in the oil.
- Once heated, add in the sausage and brown until almost no longer pink, breaking up sausage as it cooks.
- Add in onions, carrots, and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes longer. Turn Instant Pot off. Drain off any excess grease IF NEEDED and then return the inner pot back to the instant pot.
- Add in the stock in stock and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot.
- Add tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and noodles to Instant Pot and stir to incorporate.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and turn the vent knob to the sealed position. Cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes, using the manual or pressure cook function.
- Once cook time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Be sure to stand away from the vent knob, to protect yourself from steam and liquid that may escape.
- Stir in spinach to soup and let just wilt.
- Serve soup with cheese as desired.
This post was originally published in 2018 but was updated in 2021 with new photos and a video.