If you love Garlic Texas Toast, you will LOVE this recipe for Homemade Garlic Toast! Not only does it taste better than store-bought garlic toast, but it also is extremely easy to make!
why you will love this recipe
- Incredible Flavor. Buttery, garlicky, and crispy--what is NOT to love about Garlic Toast?! And trust me when I say, homemade Texas Toast tastes EVEN better than store-bought!
- Quality Ingredients. Store-bought garlic bread, garlic toast, and Texas toast are made with tons of additives and preservatives. This recipe for homemade garlic toast is made with only 5 simple ingredients!
- Super Easy Recipe. Making homemade garlic toast only requires a few minutes of time. In fact, it is just about as easy to whip up as it is to open a package of Frozen Garlic Toast. And the flavor is FAR superior!
- Adaptable. When you make Texas Toast at home, you can easily adapt the recipe to accommodate food allergies or preferences.
- Freezer-Friendly. That's right! You can replace the box of Texas Toast with a bag of your own homemade garlic toast ready to be ready and waiting for you to enjoy when the craving strikes or to pair with Instant Pot Spaghetti for an easy dinner!
- Bread: You can opt to use thickly sliced bread or a loaf of store-bought or homemade Italian Bread to make Garlic Toast.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is best so that you can control the level of sodium added yourself. If using salted butter, omit salt from seasonings.
- Garlic Powder: While you may think using fresh garlic is best, it can burn easily when toasted, so I find that using garlic powder eliminates that risk and still flavors the garlic toast perfectly.
- Oregano: I like to use either a pinch of oregano or Italian Seasoning to add additional flavor to the garlic toast. Feel free to omit this addition.
- Salt: Kosher salt is best, as it will help to enhance the flavor of the garlic toast without making it taste overly salty.
How to Make Garlic Toast
The process for making homemade garlic toast is nearly as easy as popping frozen Texas Toast in the oven.
Step One: Prepare Garlic Butter. Mix together softened butter with garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt. Be sure to mix well so that everything is evenly incorporated.
Step Two: Spread Bread with Garlic Butter. Spread an even, thin layer of garlic butter on each side of the bread and place the buttered garlic bread onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
Step Four: Bake Garlic Bread. Just like frozen Texas Toast, you will want to flip your homemade garlic toast, halfway through baking, so that each side becomes golden and evenly toasted.
Garlic Toast pairs well with ENDLESS meals. From pasta dinners like Vegetable Pasta to Instant Pot Fettuccine Alfredo, to soups like Broccoli Cheddar Soup to Instant Pot Tomato Soup, to more creative pairings like topping this Garlic Toast with cooked Instant Pot Italian Beef or Crockpot Pulled Pork, your family will NEVER tire of this recipe.
How to Freeze Homemade Garlic Toast
Don't let your leftover bread go to waste! Use it to make a batch of Homemade Garlic Toast to stock in your freezer and enjoy whenever the craving strikes.
- How to Freeze: Spread sliced bread with the garlic butter and then place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Pop the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze for 20-30 minutes, or until the garlic bread's surface if frozen solid. Remove slices of garlic bread from parchment paper and place in a freezer-safe bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To Bake Garlic Toast From Frozen: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove as many slices of garlic toast as desired from the freezer and place it on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Bake for 7 minutes on one side, flip and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until golden.
- Dairy-Free Garlic Toast: If you are dairy-free, use olive oil in place of butter for Dairy-Free Garlic Bread.
- Softer Garlic Toast: If you like your garlic toast softer, bake at 375 degrees for 4-6 minutes per side, instead of at 400 degrees F.
- Lower Fat Modification: You can opt to only spread one side of the bread with the garlic butter, using half the amount this recipe calls for.
Meals that Pair well with Garlic Toast
- Easy Baked Rotini
- Bolognese Pasta
- Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Lasagna
- Oven-Baked Meatballs
- Tuscan Pasta
If you enjoyed this simple recipe for Homemade Garlic Toast, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
- Preheat oven to 400℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix together softened butter with garlic, salt, and oregano until evenly combined.
- Spread each side of bread with the prepared garlic butter and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and toast for 4-5 minutes. Flip the bread, and continue to bake for 3-5 minutes, or until the bread is fully golden and toasted.