You will never buy Garlic Texas Toast again! Homemade Garlic Toast is easy to make at home with a few ingredients and simple steps. This simple garlic toast recipe is perfect to serve with pastas, soups, or on it’s own!
Homemade Garlic Toast
My family loves Garlic Texas Toast.
I mean, really what is not to love about buttery, garlicy, crispy thick toast?
But I am not really a fan of all the ingredients that come along with store bought frozen garlic bread and garlic toast.
Thankfully, with just a few simple ingredients, making homemade Garlic Toast is incredibly simple.
Whether you call you it garlic bread or garlic toast, toasted bread that has been smeared with a garlic butter is a must when pasta is served. Well, at least my house it sure is!
Making homemade garlic bread at home is NOT hard at all, in fact it is just about as easy to whip up as it is to open a package of Frozen Garlic Toast.
How to Make Garlic Toast
Step One: Prepare Garlic Butter
- Mix together softened butter with minced garlic, dried oregano, and salt.
- If you are dairy free, use olive oil in place of butter for Dairy Free Garlic Bread.
Step Two: Slice Italian Bread
- I love to use homemade Italian Bread for Garlic Toast. However, store bought Italian Bread works.
- It is best to use day old bread, as it slices easier.
- Slice the Italian Bread into 1 inch thick slices.
Step Three: Spread Bread with Garlic Butter
- Spread a thin layer of the garlic butter on each side of bread.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Step Four: Toast Garlic Bread
- Place the buttered garlic bread onto a baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet into a preheated oven and toast for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip slices of bread over and toast for 2-3 minutes on the remaining side.
How to Freeze Garlic Toast
I love to prep a batch of this Homemade Garlic Toast to keep on hand for pasta meals.
Freeze Homemade Garlic Toast by
- Prepare garlic toast up to baking in the oven.
- Place the buttered garlic bread on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Freeze until just solid–about 20 minutes.
- Remove slices of garlic bread from parchment paper and place in freezer safe bag.
How to Bake Frozen Garlic Toast
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place frozen garlic toast on baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes on one side, flip and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until golden.
A few tips on The Best Garlic Bread
- Feel free to melt the butter and then mix with seasonings. Simply brush each side of your bread with the melted butter using a pastry brush.
- Use unsalted garlic bread. If using salted butter, omit salt from seasonings.
- If you like your garlic toast softer, bake at 375 degrees for 4-6 minutes per side, instead of at 425 degrees.
- It is NOT necessary to spread both sides of the bread with the garlic butter. By buttering both sides, it is more like store-bought Garlic Texas Toast.
Serve Garlic Toast with:
- 1 pound loaf Italian Bread sliced into 1 inch thick slices
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together softened butter with minced garlic, salt and oregano.
- Spread each side of the sliced Italian Bread with the garlic butter.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese if desired.
- Place baking sheet into a preheated oven and toast for 3-4 minutes. Flip slices of bread over and toast for 2-3 minutes on the remaining side.
- If you want Dairy Free Garlic Bread, use olive oil in place of butter and omit Parmesan Cheese.
- Feel free to use 1 teaspoon dried garlic powder in place of fresh garlic. Fresh is best for taste, but dried will work.