Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup: An easy, healthy soup made in less than an hour with the help of the pressure cooker.
I was cleaning out my pantry this past week, when I spotted a bag of pearl barley in the bottom of one of my bins–yes, I have bins to organize things in my pantry!
I thought to myself, What barley recipes do I have that my whole family loves?
Given that it was 20 degrees outside, I decided upon soup. When paired with a crusty homemade bread or even a grilled cheese sandwich, my family does love a good soup. I, of course love to serve soup with a salad too–like this Winter Salad with Balsamic Viniagrette or Kale and Apple Salad.
It had been years since I had made Beef Barley Soup, but I knew that barley I had found would shine in soup.
Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
Ah, my Instant Pot.
I love thee. As you probably can tell by my collection of easy, healthy Instant Pot recipes. If you are still intimidated by your Instant Pot, check out my Instant Pot 101 to help you overcome your fears.
Making my traditional Beef & Barley Soup in the Instant Pot would mean I could have dinner on the table from start to finish in under an hour–and after working up my appetite cleaning my pantry, I was grateful for a quick dinner.
Okay I am ALWAYS grateful for a quick dinner, aren’t you?!
Notes on Pressure Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
- I used sirloin steak to keep this Beef and Barley soup low in fat. You can use stew meat or strip meat as well–just cut any meat into 1 inch chunks.
- I omitted celery, which is traditional in most barley soup recipes, because my kids hate it! Feel free to add in 1/4 cup chopped celery to the soup.
- It is not necessary to saute the meat and onions first, it just enhances the flavor and texture of the meat. Feel free to skip that step, just omit the oil as well.
- I am often asked if Barely is gluten-free. Barley contains gluten and therefore, is NOT gluten-free. Nor is worcestershire sauce, so this soup is NOT gluten-free.
- I have used tomato sauce in place of the diced tomatoes before. Again, this helps with picky kids who hate the texture of cooked tomatoes–I have experience with picky kids.
What if your beef is frozen when you want to make this Barley Soup?
- If your meat is pre-cut into 1 inch chunks, increase the cooking time by 10 minutes and skip the step of browning the meat.
- If your meat is in one full piece (like 1/2 inch thick Sirloin Roast or Round Steak), place the frozen piece of meat into your pressure cooker with the beef stock, thyme, bay, salt and pepper. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to release 15 minutes then remove meat and cut into 1 inch cubes. Add the meat back into your Instant Pot, along with the diced tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and barley. Seal the pressure cooker and cook for 20 additonal minutes on high pressure. Allow to release pressure for 15 minutes before serving.
What if you want to make Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup?
Don’t have an Instant Pot? I feel bad for you–LOL!!!!
But totally get it–it is NOT for everyone. You can make this Slow Cooker Beef and Barley soup easily!
- Brown your beef in on the stove over medium-high heat in 1 tablespoon oil. Once meat is browned, add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients, except for worcestershire sauce.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours.
- Stir in worcestershire at the end.
How to make Beef and Barley Soup in the Instant Pot:
Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
A hearty, healthy beef and barley soup made in the pressure cooker.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 pound beef cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 cups beef stock low sodium
- 1 15.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pearl barley rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce optional
Turn pressure cooker to saute function. Once heated, add in oil, beef chunks and onion.
Saute until beef is browned on all sides and then add in garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
Add in carrots, stock, diced tomatoes, barley, bay, thyme, salt and pepper.
Place lid on Instant Pot and close valve to sealed. Set to cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
Allow pressure to release for 15 minutes.
Before serving, reomove bay and thyme and stir in 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce.
- I used Sirloin for this recipe to keep the Beef and Barley Soup light, you can use stew meat of chuck roast as well.
- If you omit worcestershire sauce, use 1 teaspoon kosher salt instead of 1/2 teaspoon.
- Time to come to pressure 15 minutes.
- Time to cook 20 minutes.
- Time to release pressure 15 minutes.
- Total Time 50 minutes.
To Make Easy Beef and Barley Soup You May Need:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!
(And in case you misplace your Floating Valve, you can get an extra to fit your model on this here.)
If you liked this Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup you may like: