Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup is an easy, healthy, and hearty soup made in less than an hour, instead of the hours it takes to prepare this classic soup on the stove or slow cooker.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
Turn pressure cooker to saute function. Once heated, add in oil, beef chunks, and onion.
Saute until beef is browned on all sides and then add in garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add in stock and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Add in carrots, diced tomatoes, barley, bay, thyme, salt and pepper.
Place lid on Instant Pot and close valve to sealed. Set to cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
Allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes.
Before serving, remove bay and thyme and stir in 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
Notes on Pressure Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
- I used sirloin steak to keep this Beef and Barley soup low in fat. You can use stew meat or strip meat as well–just cut any meat into 1-inch chunks.
- I omitted the celery, which is traditional in most barley soup recipes because my kids hate it! Feel free to add in 1/4 cup chopped celery to the soup.
- It is not necessary to saute the meat and onions first, it just enhances the flavor and texture of the meat. Feel free to skip that step, just omit the oil as well.
- I am often asked if Barely is gluten-free. Barley contains gluten and therefore, is NOT gluten-free.
- I have used tomato sauce in place of the diced tomatoes before. Again, this helps with picky kids who hate the texture of cooked tomatoes–I have experience with picky kids.
- Leftover Instant Pot Italian Beef? Use the cooking liquid and leftover beef in place of the beef stock and meat. It will be delicious!
- What if your beef is frozen when you want to make this Barley Soup? Skip searing your stew meat and
- If your meat is pre-cut into 1-inch chunks, increase the cooking time by 10 minutes and skip the step of browning the meat.
Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
Don’t have an Instant Pot? You can make this Slow Cooker Beef and Barley soup easily!
- Brown your beef in on the stove over medium-high heat in 1 tablespoon oil. Once the meat is browned, add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients, except for Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours.
- Stir in Worcestershire at the end.
Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 pound stew meat
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 cups beef stock low sodium
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pearl barley rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce optional
- Turn pressure cooker to saute function. Once heated, add in oil, beef chunks and onion.
- Saute until beef is browned on all sides and then add in garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Turn Instant Pot OFF. Add in stock and scrape up bottom of the pressure cooker to remove any browned bits.
- Add in carrots, diced tomatoes, barley, bay, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and close valve to sealed. Set to cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes.
- Before serving, reomove bay and thyme and stir in 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce.
- I used Sirloin for this recipe to keep the Beef and Barley Soup light, you can use stew meat or chunks of chuck roast as well.
- If you omit Worcestershire sauce, use 1 teaspoon kosher salt instead of 1/2 teaspoon.
- Time to come to pressure 15 minutes. Time to cook 20 minutes.Time to release pressure 15 minutes. Total Time 50 minutes.