Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup: A classic Italian Soup, featuring a tomato base, fresh vegetables, beans and pasta, is simmered to perfection in the crockpot.
Minestrone is one of my all time favorite soups.
From the rich broth, to fresh vegetables, to the hearty pasta, it is a light, yet filling soup that is easy to prepare, especially when made in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
This Minestrone Soup recipe is my tried and true version of this classic Italian soup.
It’s not my mom’s minestrone recipe. Not a restaurant copy-cat recipe.
This is the BEST Minestrone Soup Recipe that I have adapted for all 4 picky eaters at my house, so that we all lick the bowl clean and ask for seconds, thirds, or even fourths!
How to Make Minestrone Soup in the Crockpot
- Put broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, red beans, zucchini, carrots, green beans, and diced cabbage in the slow cooker.
- Add red wine if using.
- Add in seasonings.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Turn slow cooker to high and add elbow noodles to minestrone and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Adding Spinach to Minestrone Soup
I love spinach in Minestrone Soup at times instead of the cabbage.
- Omit the cabbage.
- Add the spinach to the Minestrone with the pasta.
- If you are using FROZEN spinach, add at the beginning of the cooking process.
Modifications for Minestrone Soup
- If you have textural issues with diced tomatoes, replace with tomato puree.
- To keep kids happy, I choose to use onion powder instead of diced onions. Feel free to use 1 small diced onion instead of the onion powder.
- Add any vegetables you like to this soup–chopped zucchini, carrots, green beans, yellow squash, celery, etc–whatever your family likes or you have on hand.
- Instead of kale, you can use spinach or broccoli rabe in slow cooker minestrone. If you use fresh, add it in for the last 30 minutes of cooking. If using frozen greens, add it to the beginning of the slow cooking process.
- Kidney beans, cannellini beans, northern white beans and pinto beans all work in Minestrone.
- I love the addition of red wine in this soup–give it such flavor, but feel free to use extra stock.
- If you don’t have Vegetable stock and are not vegetarian, chicken stock works just as well in this soup.
- It is traditional to top Italian Minestrone with shaved Parmesan, but to keep this vegan, just omit cheese.
Delicious Soup Recipes
- Healthier Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- Easy Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Topper
- 4 Ingredient Tortellini Soup
Minestrone Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Minestrone
A classic Italian Soup made in the crockpot.
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cabbage sliced into thin ribbons
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup red wine optional
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups red beans pre-cooked or canned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 pound green beans cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 large zucchini diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow noodles
- Parmesan cheese for serving
Place all ingredients expect for Pasta and cheese in slow cooker.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
Turn the slow cooker to high. Add the pasta and greens and cook for 20-30 minutes until pasta tender.
Remove bay leaf and serve with a generous grating of Parmesan.