30 Minute Healthy Potato Corn Chowder is a simple vegetable chowder that comes together in 30 minutes with pantry staples. This creamy potato corn soup is full of flavor, yet made with wholesome, low-fat ingredients.
Potato Corn Chowder
There really is nothing better than a delicious soup on a cold winter’s night, especially when it is made with wholesome pantry ingredients and is on the table in less than 30 minutes.
This recipe for Potato Corn Chowder is the perfect way to slip into comfort–it is healthy, yet still tastes rich and creamy.
Plus this soup is made with ingredients that are not hard to find and extremely inexpensive.
How to Make Potato Corn Chowder
Start by sauteing shallots in a tiny bit of butter. Shallots lend a mild onion and garlic flavor to the soup that is not overpowering but still adds depth to the soup.
Add vegetable stock, red potatoes, fresh thyme, vinegar, and either canned corn or frozen corn, to pan and bring to simmer over medium heat.
Cover and let cook for 20 minutes.
In the meantime, whisk together flour and milk. Remove soup from heat and whisk in the milk mixture to soup. Return to heat and cook for an additional 5 minutes on medium high heat to let soup thicken.
Serve with crusty bread or a big spoon.
And be ready to experience pure comfort with this Healthy Corn Chowder.
Is it necessary to add vinegar to corn soup?
Adding vinegar to soup may seem a bit odd. But that bit of acidity adds balance to the soup, and you do not taste the bit of vinegar added. I love to add vinegar to quick cooking soups for balance and depth in flavor. It works perfectly in this Healthy Corn Chowder and in my 30 Minute Baked Potato Soup.
Is it necessary to add flour to milk before adding to Potato Corn Chowder?
The flour helps to thicken this Corn and Potato Chowder. By adding it to the milk, the milk helps to dissolve the flour, preventing lumps in your soup.
It is best to add the flour and milk towards the end of cooking so that the milk and flour will not scorch as the chowder cooks.
How can I make Potato Corn Chowder Gluten Free?
To make this easy vegetarian chowder gluten-free you have two options.
- Instead of flour, add 1 tablespoon cornstarch to milk.
- Omit thickening agents, and just add milk at end of cooking. This will create more of a potato corn soup than thick chowder, butit is just as tasty.
How can I make Potato Corn Chowder Dairy-Free?
If you need this Corn and Potato Chowder to be dairy-free, you need to make two substitutions.
- Instead of sauteing the shallots in butter, use olive oil.
- Instead of adding milk to the soup, use additional stock in place of the milk.
Can I make Potato Corn Chowder in the Slow Cooker?
Yes! To make Slow Cooker Corn Chowder, add all ingredients (except milk and flour) to slow cooker. Set on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Whisk together the flour and milk and add to slow cooker, turn to high, and cook an additional 30 minutes.
Notes on Easy Potato Corn Chowder:
- I prefer to use a stalk of fresh thyme in this Corn Chowder. However, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme may be substituted as well. I would just suggest sauteing the dried thyme with the shallots to help develop the flavor of dried herbs.
- I used my homemade vegetable stock in this Creamy Corn Chowder, but College Inn® Vegetable Broth is a great pantry option.
- It is not necessary to saute the shallots in butter, but it does help to develop flavor. If you want to eliminate a few calories or grams of fat, you can skip this step and add shallots directly to stock and omit the butter. Or if you have picky eaters omit the shallots completely.
- Feel free to use frozen corn in place of canned corn–both work great in this Corn Chowder.
- This Potato Corn Chowder will keep for 4-5 days in the fridge, but it does lose taste and quality of texture after being frozen.
- This soup doubles very easily–just double each ingredient and follow instructions as directed.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
- 4 Ingredient Tortellini Soup
- Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
- 30 Minute Baked Potato Soup
- Healthier Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
30 Minute Healthy Corn and Potato Chowder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small shallot minced
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 15.25 ounce Sweet Whole Kernel Corn or 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups red potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Over medium heat, melt butter and saute shallots for 3 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, stock, thyme, vinegar, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove sprig of thyme.
- Whisk together the milk and flour.
- Remove soup from heat and whisk in milk mixture. Return to heat, turn heat to high, whisk, and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until creamy and bubbly.