Enjoy pizza the easy way using this Pita Bread Pizza recipe! Made with pita bread and your favorite pizza toppings, these pita pizzas are a simple spin on homemade pizza that comes together in minutes!
If your family is like mine, pizza is a staple!
But when I don't have the time to whip up homemade pizza dough and the craving for pizza strikes, I love making quick and easy Pita Bread Pizzas.
Why You Will Love Pita Pizza
- Super Simple Recipe. Top, bake, devour! That is all there is to make this pita bread pizza recipe. Super easy, yet always delicious.
- Make it Your Way. Pita bread is the perfect size for an individual pizza, meaning each person can top their pizza with whatever toppings they want. Everyone is happy!
- Perfect for Lunch, Dinner, or a Hearty Snack. Paired with a salad and fresh fruit, pita pizzas are filling enough to be a complete meal. But because they come together with such minimal effort, they make a great option for a filling snack as well.
What You Need To Make Pita Pizzas
- Pita Bread: Use whole wheat pita bread or regular pita bread. For a smaller pita pizza, use mini pita bread. If you can't find pita bread, Naan bread is the perfect substitute. Use gluten-free pita bread if you want to keep this pizza recipe gluten-free.
- Sauce: Whether topping with marinara sauce, pizza sauce, salsa, Buffalo sauce, or BBQ sauce, you need a sauce to complete your pita pizza.
- Cheese: Use shredded cheese, like mozzarella, Colby, or cheddar. Or use parmesan cheese, fresh mozzarella cheese, or feta cheese.
- Pizza Toppings: Keep it classic and use toppings such as pepperoni, cooked Italian sausage, sliced mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc. Or use one of the variations I share, like Kalamative olives, taco meat, or leftover chicken or pork, to put a creative spin on your pita bread pizza.
- Spices: You may want to add dried spices or fresh herbs to amp up the flavor in this simple pita bread pizza recipe. Add crushed red pepper flakes for a bit of heat, Italian seasoning or dried oregano, for added depth, or fresh basil or minced cilantro for a fresh, vibrant finishing taste.
How To Make Pita Bread Pizza
This process for making pizzas using pita bread is insanely easy. In fact, this is a perfect recipe for kids to make for themselves.
- Top pita bread with toppings of your choice.
- Bake until the cheese is melted.
- Cool slightly, slice into wedges, and enjoy!
Topping Ideas for Pita Pizzas
Cheese Pita Pizza: Top one or more pitas with a thin layer of pizza sauce. Sprinkle with a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Pepperoni Pita Pizza + More: Jazz up a plain cheese pita pizza by adding pepperoni or other classic pizza toppings, like veggies, pepperoni, or cooked Italian sausage. To take the flavor up a bit, sprinkle each pita with a bit of dried oregano or Italian seasoning.
BBQ Pita Pizza: This pita bread pizza recipe is a great way to use leftover Instant Pot Pulled Pork, Slow Cooker Pulled Pork, or Instant Pot BBQ Chicken. Spread a thin layer of your favorite BBQ Sauce over pitas. Toss cooked shredded pork or chicken with a small amount of additional BBQ sauce if needed. Spread the BBQ meat over the pitas, top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and bake until the cheese is melted. Top with freshly minced cilantro if desired.
Greek Pita Pizza: Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce or marinara on one or more pitas. Top with sliced grape tomatoes, roasted peppers, crumbled feta cheese, and sliced kalamative and Spanish olives. Sprinkle with dried oregano or Greek seasoning and bake until cheese melts.
More Topping Ideas for Pita Bread Pizzas
- Taco Pita Pizza: Spread a thick layer of refried beans on pita bread and sprinkle with a bit of taco seasoning. Add store-bought or homemade salsa over the refried beans to cover. Add leftover taco meat or shredded chicken taco meat if you have it on hand. Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and bake until the cheese is melted. Top with sour cream, diced tomatoes, or diced avocado as desired.
- Buffalo Chicken Pita Pizza: Toss shredded Rotisserie Chicken with buffalo sauce to coat. Layer the chicken over the pita bread, top with shredded cheddar or Coby, and bake. Finish with a drizzle of ranch dressing or bleu cheese dressing.
- Savory Strawberry Pita Pizza: Spread a thin layer of goat cheese, cream cheese, or ricotta cheese on the pita bread. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese and pepper and bake. Top with sliced fresh strawberries and then drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Margherita Pita Pizza: Spread each pita with a thin layer of marinara sauce. Top with fresh mozzarella slices and bake until the cheese has melted. Before serving, drizzle with olive oil, and top with salt, pepper, and fresh basil.
- Dessert Pita Pizza: Spread a thin layer of peanut butter over pita bread. Sprinkle marshmallows and chocolate chips evenly over the peanut butter and bake until the marshmallows are toasted and the chocolate begins to melt.
More Easy Pizza-Inspired Recipes
- Easy English Muffin Pizzas
- Air Fryer Bagel Pizzas
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Pizza Bread
- Air Fryer French Bread Pizza
If you tried out this recipe for pita bread pizzas, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
- 6 whole or mini pita bread
- 1 cup pizza sauce (or BBQ sauce, salsa, etc)
- 2 cups cheese shredded mozzarella, sliced mozzarella, crumbled feta, shredded cheddar
- optional toppings pepperoni, sliced mushrooms, olives, cooked sausage, refried beans, leftover pork, chicken, buffalo sauce, spinach, roasted red peppers, Italian seasoning, Greek seasoning, etc
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Spread a thin layer (about 1-2 tablespoons) of sauce of choice or refried beans on each pita bread. Top with toppings of choice (pepperoni, olives, cooked chicken, sausage, taco meat, tomatoes, etc) and shredded cheese of choice. Place the assembled pita bread pizzas on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pita pizzas from the oven and let them rest for 2-3 minutes before slicing and enjoying.