This is hands down the BEST Pork and Sauerkraut recipe ever! Succulent, tender pork is flavored with sauerkraut that has been sweetened with apples. This Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut is incredibly easy to make and delicious to eat.
If there was one meal I hated when I was growing up, it was Pork and Sauerkraut.
Wouldn’t you know that after more than two decades of being out of my parent’s house, I not only can eat Pork and Sauerkraut, I LOVE it.
Pork and Sauerkraut
New Years Day always meant Pork and Sauerkraut at my house as a child. My parents always made me take one bite of the sauerkraut for good luck. I felt like the bite of sauerkraut was ANYTHING but lucky in my book–I truly hated it!
I loved the pork and the mashed potatoes that was served alongside the pork and sauerkraut, but forget about the sauerkraut.
Don’t tell the 10 year old stubborn child I was, but it was in fact the sauerkraut that gave the pork all it’s delicious flavor. As the pork loin cooks in the sauerkraut, the sauerkraut helps to break down the pork into a juicy, succulent cut of meat.
And now that my taste buds have expanded a bit, I have to say, I enjoy the sauerkraut as well.
The Best Pot Pork and Sauerkraut
There are a few secrets to the BEST Pork and Sauerkraut.
Pork loin is best when it is braised over a long period of time with the sauerkraut, as the tenders in the meat are broken down and the pork loin becomes tender and juicy. I love to use my slow cooker when making pork and sauerkraut to set it and forget it for a hands off meal.
I also am a firm believer that the flavors in sauerkraut need to be balanced out with a bit of sweetness to round out the flavors. My mom always used a bit of brown sugar in her pork and sauerkraut recipe, but I am a firm believer in apple juice is KEY! The apple juice keeps the pork moist and flavors the sauerkraut with just the right amount of natural sweetness.
Crock Pot Pork and Sauerkraut
Step One: Season Pork Loin
- To ensure really good flavor, liberally season the pork loin with salt and pepper on all sides.
Step Two: Sear Pork Loin
- Heat a large skillet or dutch oven over high heat. I like to use a dutch oven to keep oil from splattering on my stove.
- Sear pork loin for 2-3 minutes per side, or until browned and easy to flip.
- Place seared pork loin in slow cooker.
Step Three: Slow Cook Pork and Sauerkraut
- Add apple juice to slow cooker.
- Add in apples, onions, and garlic around pork loin.
- Top with sauerkraut.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
Tips for the BEST Pork and Sauerkraut
- Use fresh sauerkraut that you find in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. It is much better tasting than canned sauerkraut.
- If you don’t have apple juice, use chicken stock in it’s place, but add in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to help balance the flavors in this pork and sauerkraut. But I am telling you, the apple juice makes this dish incredible.
- One pound bag or sauerkraut is enough for a 2-4 pound pork loin. Any larger pork loin, you will want to use 2 pounds of sauerkraut.
- Pork and sauerkraut is a great served with the cooking juices over mashed potatoes!
- Pork and sauerkraut is gluten free, paleo, low carb and dairy free, making it a great meal to serve to those with dietary restrictions.
More Pork Loin Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork and Homemade Coleslaw
- Slow Cooker Apple Pork Roast
Pork and Sauerkraut Recipe
Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut
- 3 pound pork loin trimmed of excess fat
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 apple sliced
- 1 cup apple juice
- Liberally season the pork loin with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat oil in large skillet or dutch oven. Sear pork loin on all sides, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add seared pork to slow cooker.
- Pour in apple juice.
- Place onions, apples, and garlic around pork loin. Top with sauerkraut.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
To Make Pork and Sauerkraut, You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!