This Slow Cooker Pork Roast will become a family favorite in no time! Made with a pork loin roast, apples, and a savory rub, this recipe for crockpot pork roast creates intense flavor with minimal ingredients.
Why This Recipe Works
Pork loin has to be one of my favorite cuts of meat, but it can have a reputation of being a flavorless, dry, or tough cut of meat.
However, when braised low and slow in the crockpot, pork roast becomes tender, juicy, and easily absorbs the flavor it is being cooked in. Which in this recipe the pork roast is cooked with sweet apples, tangy mustard, and savory herbs, giving the pork amazing flavor.
Not to mention that using the slow cooker is a hands-off method of cooking, making this pork roast perfect not only for Sunday dinners but also for busy weeknights as well.
This slow cooker pork roast with apples is one of the EASIEST, most flavorful meals you will ever make, and if your family is like mine, they will beg you to make it again and again.
Notes on Ingredients
- Pork Loin Roast--For this recipe, a boneless pork loin roast is best, but of course you can use a bone-in pork loin roast if that is all you can find or have on hand.
- Apple Cider--use fresh apple cider or hard apple cider. Do NOT use apple cider vinegar--that is a COMPLETELY different product! Apple juice can be substituted for the cider with great results. Chicken Stock can be substituted with good results, just not quite as much flavor.
- Mustard--Dijon mustard is best, but you can use any variety of brown mustard, just not yellow mustard.
- Apples--Granny Smith, McIntosh, or Gala apples work well with this pork loin roast. I would not recommend using Red Delicious, as they get mushy and mealy when cooked.
- Onions--Use yellow or sweet onions in this recipe. I don't recommend red onions, as the flavor is not the same.
- Spice Rub--the spice rub is made with garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, thyme, kosher salt, and pepper. If you do not have those spices or do not care for one of them, omit them. Just be sure to at least use kosher salt to season the pork loin well.
How to Cook a Pork Roast in the Slow Cooker
- Cut 6 to 8 three-inch slits in the pork roast.
- In each slit, place an apple slice.
- Combine spices and rub evenly all over the pork roast.
- Place pork in the slow cooker.
- Add remaining apple slices and onion slices to the slow cooker.
- Mix together apple cider with mustard and pour in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or 8-10 hours on low.
- Remove the pork and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
The flavors in this Slow Cooker Pork Roast pair well with Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes, or Hasselback Sweet Potatoes. I love adding a Kale Salad, or Brussels Sprouts Salad on the side as well to round out the meal.
If you don't care for sweet potatoes, classic mashed potatoes work as well.
Store any leftover pork roast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Be sure to add the leftover cooking liquid to the container, which will help to keep the pork roast moist.
Alternatively, you can freeze any leftover cooked pork roast with the cooking liquid in a sealed freezer-safe container (leaving a bit of room for the liquid to expand) for up to 3 months. Defrost in refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the slow cooker on low until warmed through, or heat in the microwave in 1-minute intervals until heated through.
Yes! However, I would only cook the pork tenderloin for 4 hours on low in the slow cooker.
I prefer a leaner cut of meat for this apple pork roast, however, you can use a pork butt, or pork shoulder, and cook for 10 hours on low.
More Pork Loin Recipes
- Crock Pot Pork and Sauerkraut
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you enjoyed this Crockpot Pork Roast, I would love for you to share a comment and a review.
Slow Cooker Pork Roast
- 3 pound pork loin roast
- 1 apple Gala, Golden Delicious, or Granny Smith
- 1 onion quartered
- 12 ounces hard apple cider or regular apple cider
- ¼ cup Dijion mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onioin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Cut 6-8 3 inch slits in pork roast. In each slit, place an apple slice. Combine spices and rub all over pork.
- Place pork in slow cooker. Around pork roast, lie the remaining apple slices and onions.
- Mix together the mustard and cider and pour into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.
- To serve: remove pork from slow cooker. Strain out onions and apple from broth and shred or slice pork and serve with strained braising liquid.