These Veggie Packed Quinoa Burgers are a delicious vegetarian alternative to a classic burger. Made with quinoa, cottage cheese, and fresh vegetables, these quinoa patties are hearty, healthy, high in protein and gluten-free.
Quinoa Burgers are not your typically Veggie Burger.
They are not made with beans. There is no added breadcrumbs or oats. They are not dense or heavy.
Instead, quinoa serves as the base to these burgers, giving them a unique texture and pumping the burger full of protein and fiber. And because quinoa is naturally gluten-free, these burgers are gluten-free as well.
But more importantly, this spin on a veggie burger is absolutely delicious! The quinoa gives this burger incredible texture and the cottage cheese adds tang, a bit of cheesy flavor, and keeps these burgers from drying out. Crisped up in the oven, the exterior gets golden and a bit crispy, giving the burgers the perfect texture.
While a completely different spin-off from traditional Black Bean Burgers, these Quinoa Burgers are a unique and delicious vegetarian burger. Not to mention this recipe is a great way to use up leftover quinoa.
How to Make Quinoa Burgers
Step One: Make Quinoa
You will need two cups of cooked quinoa. You can use leftover quinoa you have on hand, or prepare quinoa in the Instant Pot or on the stove. Just be sure to allow your quinoa to cool to the touch before proceeding with preparing your burgers to prevent the hot quinoa from scrambling the egg. A great hack is to spread the quinoa out onto a sheet pan and pop in the freezer–it will be ready in 5 minutes!
Step Two: Form Burgers
- Once quinoa has cooled, mix together with cottage cheese, egg, veggies, and seasonings.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of burger mixture onto prepared pan.
- Use your hands to form into a patty.
Step Three: Bake
- Bake for 20 minutes on one side.
- Flip burgers and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Serve the Quinoa Burgers on a lettuce wrap or on a bun of with toppings of your choice. I personally prefer tomatoes, lettuce and a bit of mustard.
More Quinoa Recipes
- Chicken Quinoa Fajita Bowl
- Spinach and Lemon Quinoa Salad
- Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 large zucchini grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbs minced garlic
- Prepare quinoa by bringing placing dry quinoa, water, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
- Measure out 2 cups of cooked quinoa and spread out on sheet pan to cool for 10-20 minutes before preparing burgers.
Prepare Quinoa Burgers
- Mix eggs, seasonings, cottage cheese, parsley and carrot together in large bowl until well combined. Add quinoa and thoroughly mix.
- Grease a large sheet pan or 2 cookie sheets and scoop 1/4 cup of mixture unto the tray, forming 12 mounds in total. Using wet hands, form into a burger shape. Spray with a cooking oil on the top of burgers.
- Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes on first side and flip and return to oven for 15-20 minutes.
- These burgers do not hold up well to grilling. They achieve the best texture when baked at a high temperature. However, they can be pan fried over medium-high heat if desired.
- Leftover Quinoa Burgers can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. They are best reheated in a skillet over medium heat or in a 400 degree oven until warmed through.