This Simple Healthy Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry comes together in less than 15 minutes! This chicken stir fry recipe makes a quick and delicious meal that features chicken and asparagus glazed in a sweet and tangy honey lemon stir fry sauce.
When you need a quick meal on the table, this Healthy Chicken Stir Fry is a great option. It is ready in less than 15 minutes and made with ingredients you probably keep on hand.
In this Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry, chicken becomes fork tender while the asparagus remains crisp-tender. Both are glazed with a delicious honey garlic stir fry sauce that is kissed with brightness from fresh lemons.
The ingredients are simple, yet the result is spectacular.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Fresh asparagus--feel free to sub your favorite vegetable for the asparagus.
- Fresh lemons
- Soy Sauce--reduced-sodium soy sauce is best
- Corn Starch--to thicken stir fry sauce
- Oil--for frying
Stir Fry Sauce
The magic in this chicken and asparagus stir fry is in the honey lemon sauce.
This sweet and tangy lemon garlic sauce made with only 5 ingredients forms the perfect glaze over the chicken and asparagus.
How do you cut Chicken for Stir Fry?
An essential step to restaurant quality stir fry is to thinly cut chicken breasts.
To thinly slice your chicken breasts or thighs, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and cut chicken width-wise (against the grain) into strips no thicker than ¼ inch.
By cutting the chicken so thin, the result will be extremely tender chicken. The thin strips also allow more surface area for the rich honey garlic glaze to coat the chicken as well, resulting in a more flavorful recipe.
What Oil is Best to use for Stir Fry?
Avocado oil is my go-to for cooking quick stir-frys because it has a high heat index and does not impart much flavor to a dish, letting the honey and lemon flavor shine in this chicken stir fry.
However, coconut oil, peanut oil, and canola oil all can be substituted for the avocado oil, as they all have high heat indexes. I would NOT recommend olive oil.
15 Minute Meals
Honey Lemon Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
Honey Lemon Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice about 1 lemon
- zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the Stir Fry
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 1 pound fresh asparagus woody ends discarded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil or canola or peanut oil
- Whisk together the honey, garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat and add in the oil.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and stir fry until the chicken is browned--2-3 minutes.
- Add in the asparagus and the honey lemon sauce (stir again before pouring into the skillet)
- Stir the sauce and the chicken and asparagus for 2-3 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the honey lemon sauce has thickened.
- Serve plain or over rice or cauliflower rice.