Honey Lemon Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry: In less than 15 minutes, make a quick and easy delicious meal that features chicken and asparagus glazed in a sweet and tangy honey lemon sauce.
This post is sponsored by BJ’s Wholesale Club, but as always, my opinion is 100% my own.
Friends, I have some super exciting news to share.
I am allowed to grocery shop again!!!
For those of you who have been following along with me on Instagram or Facebook, you know that I have been a bit of a hermit during this cold and flu season, as my husband has been a bit fearful that I may get the flu and it would not be pretty for me since I deal with Cystic Fibrosis.
Well, this past week the doctor’s told me to use caution (and common sense!) and to get back out in public.
The very first place I stopped was BJ’s Wholesale Club on my way home from my doctor’s appointment.
I was so anxious to stock my freezer back up with healthy freezer essentials to grab fresh produce and meat at a value.
As I walked around BJ’s, I was impressed again at their amazing selection of fresh produce. From avocados, to beets, to even fresh dates, I was able to find just what my family needed. And while it felt so good to be the one selecting the produce again (my husband is NOT the best at choosing produce), I didn’t have to do much inspection, as all the produce at BJs was in beautiful condition.
I was especially excited to find spring asparagus in stock, just in time for Easter dinner an for my easy chicken and asparagus stir fry.
Honey Lemon Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
There is something magical about a quick stir fry recipe.
In just minutes, dinner is on the table with a quick stir fry. And who does not love a family meal that is ready in less than 30 minutes?
In this chicken asparagus stir fry, chicken becomes fork tender while asparagus remains crisp tender and both are glazed with a delicious honey garlic sauce that is kissed with brightness from fresh lemons.
How to make Honey Lemon Chicken Stir Fry
This easy lemon chicken stir fry is as simple as having a well stocked pantry with a few fresh ingredients.
I always keep Wellsley Farms minced garlic, Wellsley Farms Avocado Oil, Wellsley Farms honey, and soy sauce on hand. Those ingredients paired with fresh lemons, fresh asparagus (or any seasonal vegetable), and some fresh chicken breasts, are the perfect makings of a quick and easy chicken dinner.
And if you are like me, you have rice on hand as well, to round out this chicken stir fry.
Of course you could purchase fresh cauliflower (BJ’s always has it!) and make cauliflower rice as well if you are following a low carb or keto diet.
First Step: Make the Honey Lemon Sauce
The magic in this chicken and asparagus stir fry is in the honey lemon sauce.
This sweet and tangy lemon garlic sauce forms the perfect glaze over the chicken and asparagus.
It is amazing to me that a sauce made with 5 ingredients has such deep flavor and makes fresh chicken and vegetables shine.
How to cut thinly cut chicken breasts
Before you begin making the chicken stir fry, an essential step to restaurant quality stir fry, is to thinly cut chicken breasts.
To do so, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Remove from freezer and cut chicken width-wise into strips no thicker than 1/4 inch.
By cutting the chicken so thin, the result will be extremely tender chicken. The thin strips also allow more surface area for the rich honey garlic glaze to coat the chicken as well, resulting in a more flavorful recipe.
Stir-Frying the Chicken and Asparagus
Once the honey lemon sauce is made and the chicken is sliced, it is time to bring the dish together by quickly sautéing or stir-frying.
I love to use a wok, but any large skillet works for this easy chicken stir fry.
Heat your wok or skillet over high heat and add in avocado oil (or another oil that has a high heat index like coconut or peanut oil). Once the oil is heated, add in the chicken and quickly sauté until browned–about 3 minutes. Add in the chopped asparagus and the honey lemon stir fry sauce and stir to coat the chicken and asparagus in the sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the honey lemon sauce has thickened and glazed the vegetables and chicken.
Serve this easy chicken stir fry with asparagus over rice or cauliflower rice or alone.
Notes on Lemon Chicken Stir Fry
- I prefer to use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but boneless chicken thighs can be substituted as well.
- Avocado oil is my go to for cooking quick stir-frys because it has a high heat index and does not impart much flavor to a dish, letting the honey and lemon flavor shine in this chicken stir fry. BJ’s carries avocado oil, but they also carry coconut oil, peanut oil and canola oil which all can be substituted for the avocado oil
- Asparagus is a perfect marriage with the lemon in this stir fry, but any fresh vegetable can be substituted. BJ’s has a great selection of fresh produce and on my last visit I spotted fresh broccoli and fresh green beans which would also be perfect for this honey chicken recipe.
- I use reduced-sodium soy sauce that I purchase in bulk at BJ’s. This keeps the dish from being high in sodium, but still packs a delicious umami flavor from the soy sauce.
- The fresh lemons are a must for this Honey Lemon Chicken. BJ’s always stocks fresh lemons, so you can make this sauce year round with no issue. Always zest lemons BEFORE juicing. You can see my tip for juicing lemons here.
- Trim off the woody bottoms of the asparagus before chopping for the stir fry.
Don’t forget to join BJ’s Refer a Friend Program–for every person that joins using your link, you will earn a $25 gift card! Gotta love when it pays to share a good deal with your friends!
15 Minute Honey Lemon Chicken Recipe
Honey Lemon Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
An easy 15 minute chicken stir fry that features crisp-tender asparagus and a honey lemon glaze.
Honey Lemon Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Wellsley Farms honey
- 1 tablespoon Wellsley Farms minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice about 1 lemon
- zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the Stir Fry
- 1 pound Wellsley Farms boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 1 pound fresh asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon Wellsley Farms Avocado Oil
For the Honey Lemon Sauce
Whisk together all the ingredients and set to the side.
For the Stir Fry
Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat and add in the oil.
Add the chicken to the skillet and stir fry until the chicken is browned--2-3 minutes.
Add in the asparagus and the honey lemon sauce (stir again before pouring into the skillet)
Stir the sauce and the chicken and asparagus for 2-3 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the honey lemon sauce has thickened.
Serve plain or over rice or cauliflower rice.
Feel free to use peanut, coconut, or canola oil in place of avocado oil.
Be sure to trim and discard the woody bottoms of the asparagus before chopping for the stir fry.