Butternut Squash Chili makes a delicious meatless chili. This hearty, slow-cooker, vegetarian chili is made with butternut squash, white beans, beer and just the right amount of heat. This Vegan Chili is spicy, tangy, creamy, filling and warming to the soul!
When I told my husband we were having butternut squash chili for dinner, he told me he was going to order pizza.
He is more of a Classic Chili made with beans and ground beef kind of guy.
I get that, but I am happy to report, he did NOT order pizza and he actually enjoyed this meatless chili.
Butternut Squash Chili
Tender chunks of butternut squash and white beans are immersed in a rich, thick, and spicy tomato broth, making this meatless chili both hearty and full of bold flavors.
Butternut squash adds a bit of sweetness that pairs perfectly to the contrast of the heat from the chipotle peppers and chili seasoning. This chili is full of so much more flavor and depth than one would think to have in a vegetarian chili. It is really quite tasty.
Ingredients in Butternut Squash Chili
- Butternut Squash
- 1 medium squash, peeled and diced into 1 inch chunks.
- This is about 3 cups of squash.
- White Beans
- Any beans work in this chili, but I find the white beans are mild enough to not overtake the butternut squash’s flavors.
- Diced Tomatoes
- I love to use fire-roasted tomatoes for an extra kick of flavor, but regular diced tomatoes work.
- If you do not like the texture of diced tomatoes, use tomato sauce in it’s place.
- Beer adds amazing dimension to chili, but by all means use vegetable or chicken stock in place of beer.
- If gluten -free, use stock!
- Chipotle Peppers
- Optional, but chipotle peppers add depth of flavor and heat to this chili.
- Chili Seasoning
How to Make Butternut Squash Chili
This is about the easiest chili recipe ever. There is no browning of meat, no sauteing of peppers and onions. Everything is dumped into the crock-pot and allowed to simmer. How is that for EASY?!!
- Place all ingredients in large slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, or fresh pico.
More Chili Recipes
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Vegetarian Chili
- Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chili
Butternut Squash Chili Recipe
Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
A hearty vegetarian chili made with butternut squash and beans.
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and diced into 1 inch chunks
- 1 onion finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups white beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper from a can
- 8 ounces bottle dark amber beer or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Chili Seasoning Mix
Place all ingredients in slow cooker and set to low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours (or until squash is tender.)
Serve with sour cream, cheese, chips, limes, avocados, etc
Be sure to use stock in place of beer if you need this Butternut Squash Chili to be gluten-free.