Butternut Squash Chili makes a delicious meatless chili. This hearty, slow-cooker, vegetarian chili is made with butternut squash, white beans, beer and just the right amount of heat. This Vegan Chili is spicy, tangy, creamy, filling and warming to the soul!
Butternut Squash Chili
Tender chunks of butternut squash and white beans are immersed in a rich, thick, and spicy tomato broth, making this meatless chili both hearty and full of bold flavors.
Butternut squash adds a bit of sweetness that pairs perfectly to the contrast of the heat from the chipotle peppers and chili seasoning. This chili is full of so much more flavor and depth than one would think to have in a vegetarian chili. It is really quite tasty.
In face, when I told my husband we were having butternut squash chili for dinner, he told me he was going to order pizza. He is more of a Classic Chili made with beans and ground beef kind of guy. I get that, but I am happy to report, he did NOT order pizza and he actually enjoyed this recipe and told me I could make it ANYTIME I wanted–that is called winning!
Notes on Key Ingredients
- Butternut Squash: You will need 1 medium butternut squash, or about 3 cups. Pro-Tip: Check out cost of cubed butternut squash in the produce section. Sometimes it is CHEAPER than a full squash–and the work is done for you!
- Beans: Any beans work in this chili, but I find the white beans are mild enough to not overtake the butternut squash’s flavors.
- Diced Tomatoes: I love to use fire-roasted tomatoes for an extra kick of flavor, but regular diced tomatoes work. And if you have picky eaters that despise the texture of diced tomatoes, use tomato sauce in it’s place.
- Beer: Beer adds amazing dimension to chili, but by all means use vegetable or chicken stock in place of beer. And if you need this recipe be gluten free, be sure to use stock!
How to Make Butternut Squash Chili
This is about the easiest chili recipe ever. There is no browning of meat, no sauteing of peppers and onions. Everything is dumped into the crock-pot and allowed to simmer. How is that for EASY?!!
- Place all ingredients in large slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, or fresh pico.
More Chili Recipes
Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and diced into 1 inch chunks
- 1 onion finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups white beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper from a can
- 8 ounces bottle dark amber beer or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Chili Seasoning Mix
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and set to low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours (or until squash is tender.)
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, chips, limes, avocados, etc