White Bean Chicken Chili is one of our favorite family meals ever! This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is hearty, creamy, and made in a fraction of the time that the traditional recipe takes. Directions for dried and canned beans!
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
With the help of the pressure cooker, White Chicken Chili is EASIER than ever!
You can make this White Bean Chili with dried beans or canned beans. It also can be made with frozen or fresh chicken. Versatile and delicious, this Instant Pot White Bean Chili just can’t be beat!
- Chicken–fresh or frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Chicken Stock
- Canned Green Chiles
- Cumin–adds a rich depth of flavor.
- White Beans–dried or canned beans
- Cream Cheese–optional, but this adds creaminess to the white chicken chili.
How to Make Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
To make White Chicken Chili, you have several options. You can start with dried beans or you can use canned beans to make this meal even faster.
Step One: Cook Dried Beans (SKIP if using Canned Beans)
- Add 1 cup great northern beans and 4 cups water to the pressure cooker.
- Close the pressure cooker and be sure the vent knob is sealed.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 25 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes and then release pressure.
- Drain beans.
- Return empty inner pot back to pressure cooker.
Step Two: Prepare Chicken Chili
- Turn instant pot to saute and allow to heat.
- Add in 1-2 teaspoons olive oil and heat.
- Add in onions, chilies, and cumin and saute for 2-3 minutes or until onions begin to soften and spices are toasted.
- Turn Instant Pot OFF.
- Add in chicken stock and scrape off browned bits on bottom of inner pot.
- Add in cooked dried beans or drained canned beans.
- Nestle chicken into liquid.
Step Three: Pressure Cook White Chicken Chili
- Seal Instant Pot and be sure vent knob is pointed to sealed.
- Cook on HIGH pressure.
- Fresh Chicken: 15 minutes if using fresh chicken breasts/thighs
- Frozen Chicken: 20 minutes if using frozen chicken breasts/thighs
Step Four: Add in Cream Cheese (optional)
- Once cook time as elapsed, let pressure release naturally for at least 20 minutes.
- Open Instant Pot, remove chicken to cutting board.
- Leave the Instant Pot on the “Keep Warm” default setting.
- Add cream cheese to inner pot and close lid on instant pot–this lets the cream cheese melt into the chili.
- Shred chicken and return to Instant Pot.
- Mix together, until cream cheese has melted into the chili.
*For a healthier white chicken chili, omit the cream cheese. The chili will still be delicious, just not as thick and creamy.
Step Five: Serve
Serve chicken chili with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro and corn chips if desired.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 4.5 oz cans green chiles chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked great northern beans or 1 cup dried beans
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs boneless, skinless
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened and cubed
If Using Dried Beans:
- Add 1 cup great northern beans and 4 cups water to the pressure cooker. Close the pressure cooker and be sure the vent knob is sealed.Cook on HIGH pressure for 25 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes and then release pressure. Drain beans. Return empty inner pot back to pressure cooker, keeping prepared beans off to the side.
Instant Pot Chicken Chili Instructions
- Heat Instant Pot by turning pressure cooker to saute function and waiting until it reads Hot.
- Add in oil, small onion,, green chiles, cumin and oregano and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until onion is softened. Turn Instant Pot OFF.
- Pour in the chicken stock and scrape off any browned bits on bottom of Instant Pot.
- Add cooked or canned white beans, and salt. Nestle chicken into liquid.
- Close Instant Pot and be sure vent knob is sealed.
- Cook on HIGH Pressure for 20 minutes if chicken is fresh, 25 minutes if chicken is frozen.
- Once cook time elapses, let pressure release for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from inner pot. Add in cream cheese to inner pot if using. Close lid on Instant Pot to keep the heat inside the chili--this will help melt the cream cheese.
- Shred chicken and stir back into soup, stirring until cream cheese is well distributed through chili.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro.
- See Instant Pot High Altitude Conversion if cooking 2500+ feet above sea level.