This is an easy and delicious recipe for Vegetarian Chili. This vegan chili is a hearty meatless chili made with lentils. This chili is high in protein, fiber and taste!
Once the outside temperature begins to drop, I begin to crave warm and hearty chili recipes.
This Lentil Vegetarian Chili recipe may be a bit different than your traditional beef and bean chili, but even my mid-western, meat loving husband enjoys this Vegan Chili.
This Vegetarian Chili is hearty, filling, easy to make, inexpensive, and bottom line: IT IS GOOD!!!
The base for this Vegan Chili is lentils.
Beans and lentils are simmered in a thick and richly flavored tomato sauce. It is a thick chili that sticks to your ribs and fills you up–all while being meatless and low in fat and calories.
How to make Vegetarian Chili
- Saute onions, garlic and spices.
- Deglaze pan with wine for a rich depth to chili.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Serve Lentil Chili:
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- To make this as Crock-Pot Lentil Chili, place all ingredients into your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
What are lentils?
They are a high protein part (called a pulse) of a plant that has been dried.
- Extremely high in fiber and protein
- Great substitute for meat
- Extremely inexpensive
- High in iron and Vitamin B
- Quick cooking
A Few Notes on Vegan Lentil Chili:
- This Vegan Chili is great plain, but if you are not vegan, Lentil Chili is great served with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, maybe some cheese, even scooped up with chips.The red wine is optional in this Gluten-Free Chili, but it adds a rich depth of flavor. If you omit, replace vegetable stock.
- Any variety of lentils work in Lentil Chili.
- Any beans–pinto beans, red beans, black beans, all work in this Vegan Chili.
- I blended one can of tomatoes to give the soup more liquid and for texture preference. This step is not necessary. Or you can blend both cans of tomatoes.
- I like my chili stick to the spoon thick, feel free to thin out with more broth–just be sure to adjust seasonings.
- Sneak in some veggies by adding 1-2 cups of pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling) to this vegetarian chili.
More Chili Recipes
- Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot 4 Bean Chili from Vegetarian Mama
- Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Chili
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Vegetarian Chili Recipe
An easy vegan chili recipe made with lentils and beans.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine optional
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes blended
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes not blended
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup yellow lentils or any variety you prefer
- 2 cups beans canned or dried and cooked
Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and spices. Saute until onion is softened.
Deglaze pan with wine and allow to boil for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and broth (or water). Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
At this point you can allow the broth to simmer for 1 hour to intensify in flavor, or you can add the lentils and beans and cook until lentils are tender--about 15 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Alternatively--you can place all ingredients into the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.