Waldorf Chicken Salad: An easy and healthy chicken salad made with apples, grapes, walnuts, celery, and a bright and tangy Greek yogurt dressing. This is a healthy, high protein spin on a classic Waldorf salad.
In my book chicken salad is meant to have grapes in it. I love the sweet contrast the grapes add to the hearty salad.
It wasn’t until recently, I decided to change up my Chicken Salad with Grapes recipe and add in apples, celery, and walnuts. And WOW! This is perfect chicken salad recipe.
Waldorf Chicken Salad
Waldorf Salad came about at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in 1893. This all-American salad recipe is traditionally made with diced apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts in a mayonnaise dressing.
I took the idea of the traditional salad and lightened it up with a Greek yogurt dressing in place in of mayonnaise dressing. I also added in chicken for a hearty dose of protein.
How To Make Chicken Waldorf Salad
Ingredients for Waldorf Chicken Salad
- Chicken–leftover rotisserie chicken or Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Apples–I prefer a sweet apple like Gala apple, but Granny Smith apples work as well.
- Grapes–green or purple seedless grapes
- Toasted Walnuts
- Greek Yogurt Dressing
Step One: Prepare the Ingredients
- Chop up the chicken and apples in 1/2 inch pieces.
- Slice the grapes in half.
- Toast walnut in dry skillet for 1-2 minutes. Chop up walnuts.
- Slice the celery into thin slices.
Step Two: Prepare the Dressing
- Mix together the Greek yogurt with lemon zest, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
Step Three: Toss the Salad with the Dressing
- Pour the Lemon Yogurt Dressing over the Waldorf salad ingredients.
- Toss until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate until serving.
How to Serve Waldorf Chicken Salad
- This salad is best after being refrigerated for 1-2 hours, but can be served immediately.
- Serve in lettuce cups.
- As a stand alone entree.
- In wraps, sandwich, or pita bread like traditional chicken salad recipes.
Notes on Chicken Salad with Apples
- Waldorf chicken salad will last for 2-4 days in the fridge.
- Chicken Waldorf salad does NOT freeze well.
- Feel free to omit nuts if you need a nut free chicken salad recipe.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Easy Avocado Tuna Salad
- Shredded Brussel Sprout Salad with Apples
- Quinoa Spinach Salad
Waldorf Chicken Salad Recipe
Waldorf Chicken Salad
A healthy chicken salad recipe with apples, grapes, walnuts and celery finished with a bright Greek yogurt dressing.
For Waldorf Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast cubed
- 1/2 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1 cup grapes halved
- 1 cup apples cubed
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts chopped
For the Lemon Dressing
- 1 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Whisk together the yogurt, lemon and salt.
Toss the chicken, celery, apples, grapes and walnuts together until evenly combined. Dress with the lemon dressing.
Refrigerate for 1 hour before 24 hours before serving.