Chicken Parmesan Salad: A favorite classic has been given a fresh update in this Chicken Parmesan Salad. Crispy baked chicken sits atop a base of a salad tossed with a creamy dressing, finished with fresh tomato sauce. This dish knocks it out of the park!
I love Chicken Parmesan. I love the crunch of the breading on the chicken, the thick, gooey cheese that stretches for miles when you cut off a piece, and the rich tomato sauce that brings the dish all together.
However, it is not a dish I want to have in the summer. It is simply too heavy. (Let’s be honest it is a heavy dish even in the winter if prepared in the traditional manner, but oh so good.)
Lucky for you, this Chicken Parmesan Salad that I am featuring today is a wonderful fresh dinner for the summer–okay, really ANY TIME of the year!
It is light enough for the hottest of days and the chicken on the salad give you protein to keep you satisfied and full for hours.
It takes the flavor profile from Chicken Parmesan that we all love, and revamps it into a mouth-watering salad that still provides crunch from the light breading on the chicken, melted cheese, and the wallop of fresh tomatoes to bring the salad together.
All on a base of healthy romaine greens tossed in a dressing reminiscent of a Caesar Salad or Creamy Italian Dressing. Oh yum!!
So now that your mouths are sure to be watering, let’s get cooking!!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken cutlets, pounded thin to ⅛"
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 2" long pieces
- ½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, washed and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a cooling rack on top of it (this allows the breading on the chicken to become crisp on all sides.
- Place a piece of mozzarella cheese in each chicken cutlet and roll up the chicken, securing with toothpicks.
- In 3 pie dishes, mix together the panko, parsley, and 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper in one dish, the flour and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a second, and whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon water in the last dish.
- Roll each piece of chicken in the flour, coating completely. Then dip the chicken into the egg wash, and finally into the panko mixture. Place the breaded chicken onto the cooling rack that has been placed on the cookie sheet. I like to mist the chicken breasts with my oil mister or non-stick spray. This step is not necessary, it just adds a richer color to the dish.
- Roast the chicken for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting, puree the tomatoes with the red pepper flakes and onions until only slightly chunky. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high and add the tomato mixture to the oil. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Blend together the lemon juice, yogurt, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and ½ teaspoon pepper. Toss with the romaine lettuce.
- To serve, divide the lettuce between 4 plates. Top the lettuce with the chicken cutlets (sliced or un-sliced.) Divide the tomato mixture evenly on top of the chicken. Top with fresh grated Parmesan.
- Enjoy a fresh spin on a classic!