Take a trip to the tropics with this easy Caribbean Salad! Grilled chicken is paired with fresh mangoes, pineapple, mandarin oranges, and a bright orange vinaigrette for a fresh, hearty, healthy salad reminiscent of Cheesecake Factory's Luau Salad.
Recreate a favorite restaurant meal with this Copycat Luau Salad--just don't forget to finish off your meal with a slice of Classic Cheesecake or Instant Pot Carrot Cake Cheesecake for a true Cheesecake Factory experience.
What is Luau Salad?
Cheesecake Factory's Luau Salad was a fresh salad made with grilled chicken, fresh mangoes, tortilla strips, and a bright dressing. Sadly, it has now been discontinued, but thankfully you can easily recreate this recipe at home.
I gathered inspiration from Cheesecake Factory's Salad to create a Caribbean Salad. It is filled with fresh produce, flavor, and tastes like a tropical vacation!
Step One: Prepare Orange Vinaigrette
- Whisk together the ingredients or shake together in a glass jar.
Step Two: Marinate Chicken
- Remove ¼ cup of the dressing.
- Place the chicken in a sealable bag or air-tight container and pour the ¼ cup dressing over the chicken.
- Refrigerate the chicken in the marinade for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. You do not want to do longer than 4 hours as the citrus will begin to break down the chicken.
Step Three: Grill Chicken
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on grill.
- Discard marinade.
- Grill chicken for 6-8 minutes per side, or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Step Four: Assemble Salad
- Chop up lettuce, pineapple, mango, and red pepper.
- Drain canned mandarin oranges well.
- Toss lettuce with fruit and then top with grilled chicken.
- Sprinkle with poppy and sesame seeds and serve with the tortilla strips and reserved dressing.
- I love the burst of flavor that mandarin oranges give this salad, but feel free to omit or use fresh, segmented mandarin oranges.
- Tortilla strips are found typically next to croutons at your grocery store but crushed up tortilla chips work just as well.
- The poppy seeds and sesame seeds are completely optional but do add a nice crunch to the salad.
More Healthy Chicken Salad Recipes
If you enjoyed this light and fresh Caribbean-inspired Chicken Salad, I would love for you to leave a comment below.
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 head romaine lettuce diced
- 1 mango diced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple diced
- 1 cup mandarin oranges rinsed and drained
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ cup tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips
- ¼ cup Orange Juice Concentrate defrosted
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Prepare Orange Vinaigrette
- Make the dressing by whisking the orange juice concentrate with the vinegar, honey, oil, and salt.
- Remove ¼ cup of dressing and pour over chicken. Marinade chicken for 30 minutes up to 4 hours in fridge, prior to grilling.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Remove chicken from marinade and grill for 6-8 minutes per side, depending on thickness of chicken.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes and then dice into strips.
- Toss together the lettuce with pineapple, mango, red pepper, and oranges. Top with grilled chicken and sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
- Serve the salad with reserved dressing and tortilla strips.