Tortellini and Kale Soup: A dinner that comes together in no time with pantry and freezer staples.
This post has been updated check it out here.
- 2 cups chicken stock--canned or use my homemade recipe
- 4 cups tomato sauce--or spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes--optional, but highly recommended
- 2 teaspoons dried garlic (or 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 12 ounce bag frozen whole grain cheese tortellini (or any tortellini you have on hand)
- 2 cups frozen kale
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese--optional
- Bring the chicken stock, tomatoes, and seasonings to a boil. (Or use spaghetti sauce in place of tomatoes and omit seasonings, since the sauce is already seasoned.)
- Drop in tortellini and kale and cook according to package directions. For me, this was 10 minutes.
- Top with freshly grated cheese.
- *If time permits, allow the stock to simmer with added seasonings for up to 1 hour. I think even an extra 20 minutes helps intensify the flavors. And then bring back up to a boil to cook pasta and kale.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Combine all ingredients, but tortellini, kale, and cheese in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. Turn to high and add in the tortellini and kale. Cook for 30 minutes and serve.