The EASIEST version for Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. This hearty soup is made in less than 30 minutes from start to finish! You won't believe how easy it is to make this delicious chicken noodle soup with the help of your pressure cooker.
There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
But by taking a few shortcuts, like using chicken breasts and pre-made chicken stock, Chicken Noodle Soup can be ready in less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
While fast sometimes means sacrificing flavor, this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is every bit as delicious as a soup you would slave over all day long. Even my critical husband agrees!
With tender veggies, plump, juicy chicken, and a rich broth seasoned with thyme and dry wine, this recipe is guaranteed to hit the spot!
- Chicken: Chicken thighs or chicken breasts both work for this chicken noodle soup, just be sure either option is boneless or skinless. In fact, you can make this recipe with leftover shredded chicken. Instead of using raw chicken breast or thighs, feel free to use leftover chicken instead Add cubed cooked chicken, shredded instant pot chicken, leftover rotisserie chicken, or even leftover Turkey, when you add the noodles to the soup.
- Chicken Stock: Use homemade chicken stock, instant pot chicken stock, or store-bought chicken stock for this soup. Choose low sodium or regular based on your dietary needs.
- White Wine: I love to add dry white wine to add incredible depth and flavor to this chicken noodle soup. You can omit the wine and add additional chicken stock in its place.
- Veggies: Carrots, onions, and celery are traditional for Chicken Noodle Soup, but feel free to omit one based on your family's preferences.
- Noodles: You can use any noodles you like for this soup, but I recommend egg noodles for the best texture and taste. This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup's cook time is based on using egg noodles. If you want to change up the type of noodles, the timing may change. (Set cook time for HALF the suggested time on pasta's package and let rest for 5 minutes BEFORE releasing pressure.)
- Herbs: Fresh herbs really help this simple soup have WOW factor. Fresh thyme and rosemary add earthy, slightly floral notes to this chicken soup perfectly complement the chicken soup. Bay is a great addition as well, and this soup is excellent finished minced parsley.
- Lemon Juice (optional): To add brightness to Instant Pot chicken soup, finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Only use FRESH lemon juice, jarred juice will not work!
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Step One: Saute Veggies
While you can skip sauteing the vegetables, this extra step helps to develop really great flavor in this chicken noodle soup. It only takes a few minutes for the Instant Pot to heat up, and just a few minutes for the vegetables to begin to soften and render out their juices.
Step Two: Saute Chicken
If using raw chicken, it is best to saute the chicken. By searing the chicken, you seal in the juice of the chicken, helping the meat to stay tender. There is no need to cook the chicken fully, just allow it to brown on all sides. The chicken will finish cooking under pressure.
If you are using leftover cooked chicken, there is no need to sear the meat. Simply add cubed or shredded chicken right into the pressure cooker.
Step Three: Deglaze Pan
It is crucial to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot to prevent a burn warning. To do this, add in the liquid and use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape up browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot.
I use white wine to deglaze the pan because it adds great flavor and depth to this soup. Feel free to omit the wine and use chicken stock in place of the wine.
Step Four: Pressure Cook the Soup
Once the pan has been deglazed, add in the chicken stock, herbs, noodles, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the soup on HIGH pressure for 3 minutes. Because of the pressurized cooking, it only takes 3 minutes for the chicken and noodles to be perfectly cooked and the soup to develop a rich, delicious flavor.
Step Five: Release Pressure
Once cook time has elapsed, let the Instant Pot release pressure for 5 minutes. The time will allow the noodle to finish cooking. Any longer the noodles may be over-cooked.
To do a quick release when preparing soup, caution needs to be exercised. The soup will be boiling, and you do not want to stand next to the vent knob when releasing pressure. To do a quick release, place a kitchen towel over the vent knob to prevent splatter and hit with a long utensil.
Step Six: Serve Chicken Noodle Soup
To serve this chicken noodle soup, remove the sprigs of thyme. I highly suggest adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to this soup. The lemon juice will really help all the flavors to pop and adds brightness to this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
I hope you enjoy a bowl of comfort with this easy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup! And please leave a comment and review below.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- ½ cup onion minced
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots thinly sliced
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or thighs cubed
- ½ cup dry white wine or additional stock
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups egg noodles
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice optional
- Heat Instant Pot by turning pressure cooker to saute function and allow to heat up for a minute or two.
- Add in butter and let melt. Add in diced carrots, onions and celery and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cubed boneless, skinless chicken into pressure cooker. Cook until chicken is browned, 1-2 minutes. Turn Instant Pot OFF.
- Add in dry white wine and scrape up any bits of browned pieces off the bottom of the instant pot.
- Pour in chicken stock. Season with herbs and salt and pepper. Add in noodles and stir well.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Hit Manual/Pressure Cook and adjust the cook time using the +/- buttons.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Then do a quick release, being sure to place a kitchen towel over vent knob to prevent splatter.
- Remove sprigs of thyme. To add brightness to your chicken soup, finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve.
- If you want to change up the type of noodles, the timing may change. (Set cook time for HALF the suggested time on pasta's package and let rest for 5 minutes BEFORE releasing pressure.)
- For dry white wine, use Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, or Riesling.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts, or leftover shredded chicken.
- To keep this soup dairy free, use olive oil in place of butter.
- If cooking at higher elevations, refer to Instant Pot High Altitude Conversion.