Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is made with basic pantry staples and ready in less than 30 minutes! When the craving for Tortilla Soup hits, this recipe will satisfy your craving quickly!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of the most flavorful, easiest soups to make in the Instant Pot.
From the richly seasoned broth to the hearty chicken to the beans and corn, each spoonful of this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup delivers restaurant-quality taste at home.
Not only is this soup flavorful, but it also couldn't be easier to make. It is This recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup is a no-fuss, versatile recipe made with basic staples and is ready in less than 30 minutes--talk about winning!
Notes on Ingredients
- Chicken: Use either boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts for this recipe. I have included timing for both fresh and frozen chicken.
- Onions and Garlic: I recommend starting this recipe by sauteeing freshly minced onion and garlic for the optimum flavor, but you can opt to use onion powder and garlic powder to keep this recipe super simple.
- Broth/Stock: Use either store-bought or homemade chicken stock. Low sodium is best to control the level of sodium in the soup.
- Diced Tomatoes: To add another dimension of flavor, use diced tomatoes with green chiles (AKA Rotel Tomatoes), instead of plain diced tomatoes.
- Corn: Frozen corn is optional, but adds a nice sweetness to the soup.
- Beans: Use black beans, pinto beans, or a combination of the two for this soup. If starting with dried beans, use my recipe for Instant Pot Beans BEFORE proceeding with the recipe for the soup.
- Spices: This recipe calls for cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt. I typically opt for using 2 teaspoons of homemade taco seasoning instead of the individual spices. Do whatever works best for you.
- Lime: Do NOT overlook the fresh lime, it really adds incredible acidity and balance to the soup and helps the flavors to really pop in your mouth.
- Toppings: Just like tacos, this Taco soup is all about the toppings. Top with tortilla strips or chips, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, etc.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute function and add in a bit of oil and let it heat. Once heated, add in 1 small minced onion and saute until it is nice and soft--it only takes a couple of minutes.
- Once the onion has begun to soften, add in the garlic and saute for just 30 seconds. We just want to toast our garlic, not burn it.
- Once the garlic is toasted, turn off the saute function by hitting cancel.
- In order to prevent a burn notice, it is crucial to scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the inner pot. To do so, add in about ½ cup of the chicken stock and use a wooden or metal spatula to scrape off the browned bits off the bottom of the inner pot.
- Add in the remaining stock, along with the seasonings, corn, and beans, and give everything a good stir to combine.
- Nestle the chicken into the broth and then top with the canned tomatoes.
- Place the lid on the inner pot, seal the lid, and set the cooking time to 9 minutes on high pressure for FRESH chicken or 14 minutes on high pressure for frozen chicken.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release on its own for at least 15 minutes. To do a quick release of pressure would result in tough chicken and a hot liquid spewing all over your kitchen.
- Once the Instant Pot has released pressure, open the lid and remove the chicken to a cutting board. Shred or chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and then stir it back into the soup.
- Finish the soup, by stirring in the juice of fresh lime.
- Dish the Tortilla Soup out into bowls and top as desired with tortilla strips, cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc.
Homemade Tortilla Strips
You can use packaged tortilla strips or you can quickly prepare your own tortilla strips while the soup is cooking if desired.
- Cut corn or flour tortillas into ½" strips using a pizza cutter or sharp knife and place the strips on a large baking sheet.
- Spray with olive oil cooking spray, or drizzle with oil, and then season with cumin and salt. Toss together to coat the tortillas with the seasonings and then spread out evenly on the pan.
- Pop the tortilla strips under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, watching closely, so you don't burn them.
- Serve with the prepared tortilla soup.
Leftover Chicken Tortilla Soup, once cooled slightly, can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Alternatively, you can freeze the leftover soup in an airtight freezer-safe container, being sure to leave 1-inch of space for expansion, for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and heat before serving.
- Vegan-Friendly/VegetarianTortilla Soup: In place of the chicken stock, use vegetable broth. You also will want to omit the chicken and double the number of beans used to bulk up the soup.
- Spicy Tortilla Soup: Add up to one finely minced jalapeno, along with the onion for a spicy version of Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- Speed It Up: If you are really on a time crunch, skip sauteing the onions and garlic. Instead, omit the oil and minced onion from the recipe and add 1 teaspoon of dried onion powder to the inner pot along with the remaining ingredients. Cook as directed.
If you learn better through video and visual presentation, be sure to check out my YouTube video for Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you enjoyed this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ small onion minced or 1 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ounce pinto or black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels optional
- 10 ounces can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Optional toppings: tortilla strips, diced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, etc
- 5 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute function and add in the oil. Once the oil is heated, add in the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until just softened. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add in ½ cup of the chicken stock and using a wooden or metal spatula, scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot. This will prevent a burn notice.
- Add in the remaining chicken stock, along with the seasonings, beans, and corn to the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Nestle the chicken into the soup and then top with the diced tomatoes.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and be sure the vent knob is closed. Set cook time, using the manual or pressure cook button, for 9 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE for fresh chicken OR 14 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE if the chicken is frozen.
- Once cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally.
- Open Instant Pot and remove chicken and place in a large bowl or on a cutting board and shred or cut the chicken into bite-size bites.
- Mix the chicken back into the Instant Pot with lime juice and stir together.
- Serve with cilantro, cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, etc.
- Cut the tortillas into ½" strips using a pizza cutter or sharp knife and place the strips on a large baking sheet.
- Toss the tortillas with oil, cumin, and salt and toss to coat. Spread them out in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes per side, watching closely, so as not to burn. Remove from the oven and serve with the soup.