Leave the store-bought ranch dressing on the shelves and make your own homemade ranch dressing in a matter of minutes! This recipe for Ranch Dressing is tangy, creamy, perfectly spiced, and absolutely delicious.
Why Homemade Ranch Dressing is Best
If your family is like mine, you may be a bit obsessed with ranch dressing.
It is creamy, tangy, and is my go-to dressing for salads and for dipping.
However, store-bought Ranch Dressing is often filled with preservatives, sugar, and MSG. Which, when you use ranch dressing as much as my family--that's not such a good thing!
Thankfully, it only takes minutes to make homemade ranch dressing that not only can you feel better about serving to your family, but also, in my opinion, tastes much better than bottled ranch dressing.
Notes on Ingredients
- Greek yogurt (or Mayonnaise): You can use plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise for this recipe. I personally tend to opt for yogurt in place of the mayonnaise for a homemade ranch that is lower in fat, egg-free, and has a bit of protein. Plus I find the tang of Greek yogurt pairs nicely with the ranch flavoring.
- Sour Cream: Use regular or reduced-fat sour cream, NOT fat-free as the flavor will not be the same.
- Dried Spices: I use the same dried spices that I use to prepare Dried Ranch Seasoning.
- Milk/Buttermilk: Ranch dressing is traditionally made with buttermilk, but because this recipe calls for fresh lemon juice as well, you can omit the buttermilk and use regular milk if that is what you have on hand.
- Lemon Juice: Be sure to use the juice of FRESH lemons, not jarred lemon juice, as the flavor is not the same.
How To Make Homemade Ranch Dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, yogurt or mayo, with the seasonings until well combined.
- Slowly wisk in the milk and lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- Place the dressing in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using, as this allows the flavors to really develop.
Homemade Ranch Dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Be sure to shake well before each use.
At my house, we use ranch from everything to dressing salads to dipping to topping pizza and casseroles. Be inspired by the suggestions below.
- Use to top a simple tossed salad or pair with Buffalo Chicken Salad for a delicious entree.
- Tame down the spiciness of Buffalo Chicken Bake with a drizzle of this homemade ranch dressing.
- Serve Instant Pot Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Chicken Wings, or Boneless Chicken Wings with a side of ranch dressing in place of bleu cheese dressing.
- Add a drizzle of ranch dressing to a baked Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
- Instead of ketchup, serve ranch dressing with Homemade Oven Fries or Air Fryer Potatoes.
- Make your kids happy and serve Homemade Fish Sticks or Homemade Chicken Tenders with a side of ranch and watch them dip away!
More Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
If you tried this recipe for homemade ranch dressing, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch finely cracked pepper
- ¼ cup buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice about 1 fresh lemon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, yogurt/mayonnaise with the dill, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in the buttermilk/milk and lemon juice until well incorporated.
- Place the dressing in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using, to allow the flavors time to develop.
- After 30 minutes serve as desired or store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.