Homemade Ranch Dressing is an all-natural, tangy, creamy dressing loaded with flavor that comes together in minutes!
Whether served as a salad dressing for a tossed salad or a Buffalo Chicken Salad, as a dipping sauce for fresh veggies, Air Fryer French Fries, or Instant Pot Chicken Wings, you will love this Easy Ranch Dressing Recipe!
If your family is like mine, they may be obsessed with ranch dressing. From dressing salads to dipping fries, ranch dressing is a staple in many American households. And while you can find endless varieties of ranch dressing at any grocery store, homemade is the way to go!
why homemade ranch dressing is best
- Easy Recipe. It takes less than five minutes to make homemade ranch dressing that is creamy and tangy, just like good ranch dressing should be!
- Quality Control. Because you are making the dressing, you are in charge of the ingredients. That means that you can leave the added sugar, MSG, and preservatives on the shelf!
- Family-Approved. The flavor in this homemade dressing is far superior to any store-bought ranch. It is creamy, tangy, and filled with the right combination of dried spices to give this dressing its signature ranch flavor.
Ingredients in Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Greek yogurt (or Mayonnaise): You can use plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise for this recipe. I tend to opt for yogurt to keep this ranch dressing lower in fat and egg-free.
- Sour Cream: Use regular or reduced-fat sour cream, NOT fat-free as the flavor will not be the same.
- Dried Spices: Use a combination of dried parsley, dried basil, dried dill, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, which are the same dried spices found in my recipe for Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Milk + Lemon Juice or Buttermilk: Buttermilk gives ranch dressing its signature tanginess. But there is no need to purchase buttermilk just to make ranch dressing. This recipe calls for adding fresh lemon juice, which when added to milk will replicate the flavor of buttermilk. For best results, be sure to use fresh lemon juice, not jarred lemon juice.
How To Make Homemade Ranch Dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream with the seasonings and yogurt or mayonnaise until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- Place the dressing in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using, as this allows the flavors to develop.
Homemade Ranch Dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Be sure to shake well before each use.
Homemade Ranch Dressing is the obvious choice for dressing salads, dipping veggies, and serving with Air Fryer Chicken Wings or Baked Fries. But don't stop there! I have a lot more suggestions below on how to use this ranch dressing recipe!
- Use to top a simple tossed salad or pair with Buffalo Chicken Salad for a delicious entree.
- Tame down the spiciness of Buffalo Chicken Bake or Buffalo Chicken Tacos with a drizzle of this homemade ranch dressing.
- Serve Instant Pot Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Chicken Wings, or Boneless Chicken Wings with a side of ranch dressing in place of bleu cheese dressing.
- Instead of ketchup, serve Homemade Oven Fries or Air Fryer Potatoes with a side of this easy ranch dressing.
- Make your kids happy and serve Fish Sticks, Chicken Tenders, or Air Fryer Zucchini Fries with a side of ranch.
More Easy Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
If you tried this easy recipe for homemade ranch dressing, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
Easy Homemade Ranch Dressing
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch finely cracked pepper
- ¼ cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice about 1 fresh lemon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt (or mayonnaise) with sour cream, dill, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and lemon juice until well incorporated.
- Place the dressing in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using, to allow the flavors time to develop.
- After 30 minutes serve as desired or store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Shake before each use.