Homemade Baked Cinnamon Donuts are not only EASY to make, but they are ridiculously delicious! Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donuts are a delicious breakfast recipe that will make everyone smile. These baked donuts are coated with cinnamon sugar for a simple homemade cinnamon donut recipe.
Donuts are NOT my thing. Well, I thought donuts weren't my thing.
I have discovered, I do like, correction I LOVE, some donuts--baked donuts to be exact.
These Cinnamon Donuts are tender and light and full of warm cinnamon flavor. Finished with a sweet cinnamon-sugar coating, these baked donuts are like a cinnamon muffin on steroids.
Not only do I love these baked donuts, but my kids also love them, and I know you will love them as well!
How to Make Baked Donuts
The first step to making baked donuts is that you need to have a donut pan. These pans will form perfectly shaped homemade donuts. Just be sure to generously grease your donut pan with melted butter or coconut oil, being sure to get every nook and cranny, so that your donuts will not stick to the pan.
This donut batter is a simple spiced batter that will bake up light and fluffy. I use whole white wheat flour to add a bit more fiber to these donuts, but by all means, all-purpose flour works just as well.
Once the batter is made, it is time to add your batter to your donut pan. it may seem difficult to get the batter around the center of the donut pan, however, if you use a mini cookie scoop, it makes it easy to distribute the batter around the mold.
You want to make these donuts until the batter is just set, about 10-13 minutes at 350 degrees. Once the donuts have baked, place the donut pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes and then carefully remove it from the donut pan. Let the donuts finish cooling for another 10 minutes before coating in the cinnamon-sugar coating.
Once the donuts have cooled it is time for the best part--the cinnamon sugar coating!
Melt a bit of butter in a shallow dish. Dip each donut in the butter, then the cinnamon-sugar mixture, repeating for each side of the donut. Place the donuts back on the cooling rack and once dry, brush off the excess cinnamon-sugar coating.
More Breakfast Baked Goods
- Carrot Cake Muffins
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Muffins
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake from Sugar Spun Run
- Mini Breakfast Quiches
Baked Cinnamon Donuts
For the Cinnamon Donuts
- 1 cup whole white wheat flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons melted butter plus more for greasing donut mold
For the Topping
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease the donut pan well with butter.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and sugar together in large bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix egg, butter, milk, and vanilla together.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between 6 donut molds. It helps to use a mini cookie scoop to evenly distribute the batter between the donut molds.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then remove donuts from pan and cool for an additional 10-15 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl and melt the butter.
- Dip the donuts into the melted butter and then in the cinnamon sugar, flip the donut over and repeat, coating mixture on both sides of donut. Dust off excess sugar mixture and serve.
- All purpose flour works in place of the white wheat flour.
- Once donuts have cooled, store in sealed container at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 4 days. These donuts can also be frozen for up 3 months after baked and cooled.
- To make Dairy Free Cinnamon Donuts, use almond milk in place of milk and coconut oil or vegan butter in place of butter.