Skip the expensive chain’s lattes and make your own at home! This easy recipe will show you how to make a latte step by step without ANY fancy equipment needed.
Start with a basic latte recipe and then let your imagination go wild to flavor up your latte exactly how you like! Make a vanilla latte, peppermint latte, mocha latte–you get the idea. And the best part about this recipe? You can use any type of milk you like–so dairy-free latte, non-fat latte, a rich decadent latte–the choice is yours!
I am willing to bet a large percentage of you reading this right now, will agree that a good cup of coffee is hard to beat. In fact, for most of us, myself included, that latte is not only a desire but has become most definitely a NEED to function most days.
While I would love to hit up a drive-thru of a fancy coffee shop every day, my wallet will NOT allow that, nor will my frugal nature. So I reserve visits to coffee shops to just special occasions.
But that does not mean that I reserve special coffee for special occasions!
No way!! I start each and every day with a Homemade Latte.
- Coffee: Espresso or strongly brewed coffee is essential for a flavorful latte. Decaffeinated works just the same.
- Milk: Any variety you like. Skim milk, whole milk, reduced-fat. Or for a Dairy-Free/Vegan Latte use non-dairy milk such as almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk. You can even use a flavored creamer for a rich, sweet, flavored latte.
You only need one simple kitchen tool to make a perfectly frothy latte–a small kitchen whisk that fits inside your coffee mug. That’s right–no fancy equipment is necessary!
I find an aluminum whisk works better than a silicone whisk.
How to Make a Latte
- Brew the coffee or espresso of your choice.
- While the coffee is brewing, heat the milk of your choice for 30-45 seconds in a microwave-safe coffee mug.
- Once the milk is heated, take a small whisk and vigorously whisk back and forth for 15-30 seconds until the milk is frothy.
- Pour the coffee into a mug. GENTLY, pour the frothed milk on top of the coffee.
- The foam will rise to the top of the mug, giving you a pretty close replication of a traditional latte.
Alternatively, you can heat the milk in a glass measuring cup and then froth. Pour coffee or espresso into a mug and then gently pour the frothed milk over the coffee. Spoon the remaining foam on top of your latte.
Flavored Homemade Lattes
I prefer plain lattes. However, many people prefer flavored lattes.
- Sweetened Latte–add 1-2 teaspoons your choice of sweetener to your milk of choice BEFORE heating milk.
- Vanilla Latte–add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract to milk before after heating milk but before you add coffee.
- Chocolate/Mocha Latte–add 1-2 tablespoons chocolate syrup to milk BEFORE heating milk.
Enjoy this Latte Recipe with
- Cinnamon Streusel Muffins–Tender, moist, and gluten-free muffins made with a delicious cinnamon streusel topping.
- Cream Cheese Danish–An easy, decadent cream cheese danish made with puff pastry.
- Quiche Lorraine–A classic quiche loaded with bacon and Swiss cheese.
- Breakfast Casserole–This hash brown breakfast casserole is a crowd favorite!
Even on the busiest days or on the tightest of budgets, you can indulge in your caffeine cravings with this simple Homemade Latte.
- 1/2 cup milk ANY variety
- 6 ounces strongly brewed coffee any variety
- Heat the milk for 30-45 seconds in your microwave in the cup you intend to drink your coffee from.
- Once the milk of your choice is heated, take a small whisk and vigoursly whisk back and forth for 15-30 seconds until the milk is frothy.
- Pour the coffee directly over the frothed milk or brew over the frothed milk.
- Alternatively, you can heat the milk in a glass measuring cup and then froth. Pour coffee or espresso into a mug and then gently pour the frothed milk over the coffee. Spoon the remaining foam on top of your latte.
- For a dairy-free/vegan latte, use non-dairy milk such as almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk.
- Sweetened Latte--add 1-2 teaspoons your choice of sweetener to your milk of choice BEFORE heating milk.
- Vanilla Latte--add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract to milk before after heating milk but before you add coffee.
- Chocolate/Mocha Latte--add 1-2 tablespoons chocolate syrup to milk BEFORE heating milk.