Do you want to know the key to my heart?
A good latte and a few new cooking magazines.
To me, I consider it pure bliss to sit curled up and slowly sip on my latte while dreaming up new recipes. Throw in a piece of dark chocolate and I am in a little bit of heaven. I am pretty easy to please, aren’t I?
That probably is NOT your definition of bliss. But I am willing to bet a large percentage of you reading this right now, will agree that a good cup of coffee is hard to beat. In fact, for most of us, myself included, that cup of joe is not only a desire, but has become most definitely a NEED to function most days.
While I would love to hit up a drive-thru of a fancy coffee shop everyday, my wallet will NOT allow that, nor will my frugal nature. So I reserve visits to coffee shops to just special occasions.
But that does not mean that I reserve special coffee for special occasions!
No way!! I start each and everyday with a Homemade Latte.
How to Make a Latte
There are only two essential ingredients to a good latte and you only need one simple kitchen tool to make a perfectly frothy latte.
That’s right–fancy equipment is necessary!
Ingredients for Homemade Latte
- Milk (any variety)
How to Make a Latte at Home
- Start with 1/2 cup milk. ANY variety. I have made my lattes with almond milk, skim milk, whole milk, coconut milk, and even my homemade Maple Coconut Creamer (PS that was GOOD!)
- Heat the milk for 30-45 seconds in your microwave in the cup you intend to drink your coffee from.
- Once the milk of your choice is heated, take a small whisk and vigorously whisk back and forth for 15-30 seconds until the milk is frothy.
- Pour your coffee over your frothed milk or brew from your k-cup right into the mug.
- Then take a seat and enjoy a small pleasure in life.
Dairy Free Latte
- For a dairy-free/vegan latte, use non-dairy milk such as almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk.
Flavored Homemade Lattes
I prefer plain lattes. However, many people prefer flavored lattes.
- Sweetened Latte–add 1-2 teaspoons your choice of sweetener to your milk of choice BEFORE heating milk.
- Vanilla Latte–add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract to milk before after heating milk but before you add coffee.
- Chocolate Latte–add 1-2 tablespoons chocolate syrup to milk BEFORE heating milk.
Enjoy this Latte Recipe with
- Peppermint Mocha Scones
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
- Easy Paleo Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
- Naturally Sweetened Blueberry Muffins
How to Make Homemade Lattes
A super simple recipe for a homemade latte using no special equipment.
- 1/2 cup milk ANY variety
- 6 ounces strongly brewed coffee any variety
Heat the milk for 30-45 seconds in your microwave in the cup you intend to drink your coffee from. Once the milk of your choice is heated, take a small whisk and vigoursly whisk back and forth for 15-30 seconds until the milk is frothy.
Pour the coffee directly over the frothed milk or brew over it.