Wonton Tacos are a delicious mini version of a taco! Wonton wrappers are baked into little cups and then stuffed with taco meat, cheese, and topped like any taco. These Wonton Tacos make a perfect party treat or appetizer.
Whenever there is a party at my house, I always default to serving Mexican Recipes. I mean, everyone loves Mexican Food–right?!
One of my party favorites is Wonton Tacos. Wonton Cups fit the bill for each and every party! And EVERYONE loves them–always!
These cute little cups look elegant and fancy and like I put so much effort into them, but guess what? They are a breeze to make!
And they can be prepped ahead of time, which crucial for entertaining! The more you can do ahead of time the better. I want to visit with my guests, not be stuck in the kitchen!
How to Make Wonton Tacos
The basics are simple. You need to bake up wonton wrappers into little cups and then fill with your favorite taco fillings. I typically use Taco Meat and cheese and then leave a selection of toppings on the side so everyone can dress up the wonton tacos as desired.
Let me break this down for you in three easy steps, with some ideas for modifications to fit your dietary needs/preferences.
Step One: Bake the Taco Shells
For these wonton taco shells, I sprayed a mini cupcake pan with non-stick spray and then carefully folded wonton wrappers into the mold. One wonton wrapper is enough to fit into each muffin cup.
If you need these mini taco cups to be Gluten-Free, cut corn tortillas to fit in cupcake tin, as I have yet to find decent gluten free wonton-wrappers.
At this point you can allow the wonton cups to cool and store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days before serving.
Step Two: The Filling
Sprinkle each cup with some shredded cheese, and pop back into the oven to warm through and melt the cheese. If serving dairy-free guests, prepare without the cheese and leave the cheese on the side. Or do one tray of wonton tacos with cheese and one without.
Step Three: The Toppings
Let the fun begin. Guacamole, diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, sour cream, olives, salsa, queso–whatever your heart desires! A great ideas is to set out a bar of your favorite taco toppings and let guests customize.
More Delicious Party Appetizers
- 1 package square wonton wrappers
- 1 pound ground beef or chicken or 3 cups beans
- 2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Desired toppings: avocado, tomato, onion, sour cream, etc
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shape wonton wrappers in mini-cupcake liners and bake for 8-10 minutes or until browned.
- While wrappers are baking, cook ground meat and taco seasoning over medium high heat until meat is cooked through.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of meat mixture into each wonton cup. Top with cheese and return to oven 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with desired toppings.
- Prepare Wonton Cups up to 3 days in advance. Fill with desired taco filling and bake immediately before serving.
- You can also prepare taco filling up to 3 days in advance and store in refrigerator. Right before serving, pop the filling into the prepared cups, top with cheese and bake until warmed through, about 15 minutes at 350 degrees.