These Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are a simple, marshmallow-free version of Classic Rice Krispie Treats. They are full of rich, creamy peanut butter, naturally sweetened, and then finished with a thick coating of chocolate, for one irresistible treat.
If you love peanut butter and are looking for an easy, no-bake treat, then these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are for you!
Just like my PB Oat Bars, these Peanut Butter Rice Cereal Treats are a no-bake treat made with just 4 ingredients. They come together with less than 10 minutes of hands-on prep work and are finished with a thick layer of chocolate. And really, what better combination is there than chocolate and peanut butter?
Seriously these Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are truly spectacular and totally better than the original recipe!
Notes on Ingredients
Now, I am not claiming these rice cereal treats are healthy in any way, BUT this recipe does swap out the processed marshmallows and butter for natural peanut butter and honey, so in my book, I feel A BIT better about enjoying an extra serving.
- Crisp Rice Cereal: Use the classic Rice Krispies brand of cereal, or opt for Brown Crisp Rice Cereal for a dose of whole grains.
- Peanut Butter: I prefer to use an all-natural, creamy style of peanut butter. You can use shelf-stable peanut butter, just but keep in mind there are often added oil and sugar.
- Honey: The honey keeps these bars intact and adds sweetness to the recipe.
- Chocolate: Melted chocolate tops off these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats to take them over the top, but is totally optional. Use milk, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate. You can also use dairy-free chocolate if needed.
How to Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Line an 8x8 or 7x11 baking dish with parchment paper and set it aside. The mixture is sticky, so you need parchment paper to keep the cereal treats from sticking to the pan.
- Bring the honey to boil over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Once the honey begins to boil, IMMEDIATELY turn off the heat. This allows the texture of the honey to change a bit and get thicker and stickier, which will help keep the bars intact.
Cooking Tip👉To measure out the honey, grease a ½ cup measuring cup with oil or nonstick spray, and then pour in the honey. This will make the honey slip right out of the measuring cup.
- Stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, and a pinch of salt into the honey until just combined. Add in the cereal and stir the cereal into the peanut butter mixture until the cereal is well coated. Have a bit of patience. Just like classic Rice Krispie treats, it takes a little bit to coat the cereal with the mixture.
- Once combined, firmly pat down the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Pop the Rice Krispie Treats in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to harden before eating or topping with chocolate.
The chocolate layer is optional and these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie treats are delicious without this added layer. However, adding chocolate really makes these treats irresistible.
- Place the chocolate chips or chunks into a heat-safe bowl.
- Microwave the chocolate in 20 to 30-second intervals, stirring in between each interval until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth consistency.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the Peanut Butter Rice Krispie treats and use a spatula or spoon to spread the chocolate out and evenly coat the bars.
- Place the treats back into the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to allow the chocolate to set up.
- Slice into squares and enjoy.
Without the layer of chocolate, Peanut Butter Rice Krispie treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
With the addition of chocolate, I recommend storing the treats in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats: Use dairy-free chocolate chips or omit the chocolate from the topping.
- Peanut-Free Rice Krispie Treats: Replace the peanut butter with sunflower seed butter or almond butter.
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats: Be sure your crisp rice cereal is certified gluten-free.
More Peanut Butter Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Pancakes
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Peanut Butter Coffee
- Peanut Butter Balls
If you enjoyed these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Cover an 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Grease a ½ cup measuring cup with oil or nonstick spray and measure out the honey into a large saucepan.
- Bring the honey to boil over medium-high heat and then IMMEDIATELY turn off the heat.
- Add the peanut butter, vanilla, and salt into the honey and stir until smooth. Add in the cereal and stir to evenly coat the crisped rice with the mixture.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared pan and firmly flatten out the mixture. Place the treats into the fridge to harden for 10-15 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is melted.
- Reomove the chilled peanut butter bars from the refrigerator. Pour the chocolate over cereal mixture and spread out with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Return the treats to the refrigerator and for 15-20 minutes to fully firm up before slicing.
- Remove from fridge and cut into squares.