These Peanut Butter Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips are a perfect, healthy banana muffin. Made with peanut butter, bananas, and chocolate chips, these Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are healthy enough for breakfast, yet decadent enough for dessert.
I truly think bananas and peanut butter are a match made in heaven. Add in some chocolate and I find the combination irresistible.
That magical combination of peanut butter, bananas, and chocolate are what make these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins the best!
Not to mention, they have been made with no oil, no refined sugar, and whole-grain flours–so these Banana Muffins are on the healthier side.
Of course, you can leave the chocolate chips out for a Peanut Butter Banana Muffin–but let’s be honest, chocolate makes everything a bit better!
Notes on Key Ingredients
- Ripe Bananas–the riper the more sweet these muffins will be!
- Peanut Butter–adds so much flavor and richness to this muffin without the need to add in additional oil. I use natural peanut butter, but any variety works.
- Chocolate Chips–totally optional, but as I said earlier, chocolate always pairs well with peanut butter.
- Honey–feel free to use maple syrup but the honey really pairs well with the flavors in these banana muffins.
- Flour–I use whole white wheat, but whole wheat pastry flour and all-purpose flour work. Even gluten-free 1:1 flour works for a gluten-free banana muffin.
- Milk–dairy or non-dairy varieties work equally well.
- Eggs--feel free to use a flax egg substitute if you have an egg allergy.
- Salt–omit if using salted peanut butter
How to Make Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
Step One: Prepare Muffin Tin
Step Two: Prepare Banana Muffin Batter
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana well.
- Add in applesauce, milk, eggs, honey, peanut butter, and vanilla and mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt well.
- Add in chocolate chips and toss in the flour mixture to coat. This helps the chocolate chips not sink to the bottom of the banana muffins.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Step Three: Bake Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Pour 1/4 cup muffin batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Storing Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- These banana muffins will last for 2 days at room temperature.
- Any longer than 2 days, store these banana muffins in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- You can freeze peanut butter banana muffins for up to 3 months as well.
More Banana Recipes
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Sushi
- Gluten-Free Banana Oat Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bars
Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 2 large bananas
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter unsalted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk any variety
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line muffin tin with silicone liners.
- In large mixing bowl, mash banana. Add in peanut butter, applesauce, honey, vanilla, egg, vanilla, and milk and mix well.
- Stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in another small bowl. Add in chocolate chips if using and toss with flour mixture.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into each of the 12 muffin cups. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes in muffin tin and then remove from muffin pan and cool completely on wire rack.