Made with sliced turkey, sweet apples, dressed mixed greens, and sharp cheddar cheese this Turkey Apple Sandwich is reminiscent of Panera's seasonal roasted turkey sandwich. It is tangy, sweet, tart, savory, and absolutely delicious!
While Panera may have discontinued their delicious seasonal Turkey Apple Sandwich, it doesn't mean you need to give it up! You can easily recreate a similar masterpiece at home.
Using thinly sliced roasted turkey or deli turkey, cranberry walnut bread, sharp white cheddar, sweet apples, and dressed greens, this turkey apple sandwich is filled with incredible flavor and a symphony of textures.
This sandwich is filled with flavor and texture. It truly is my favorite way to enjoy a turkey sandwich and my all-time favorite recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers.
Notes on Ingredients Needed
- Turkey: Use thinly sliced deli turkey or thinly sliced leftover Roast Turkey, or Instant Pot Turkey Breast.
- Bread: Cranberry Walnut Bread is an amazing base for this sandwich. It is chewy and the flavors of cranberry and walnut make the sandwich pop. However, whole wheat bread or store-bought grain bread are other suitable options for this sandwich.
- Sharp White Cheddar Cheese: White cheddar pairs amazingly well with sweet apples, as it is sharp and flavorful. Muenster or Sharp Cheddar work if you do not have white cheddar cheese.
- Gala Apples: Sweet, firm apples are a must for this sandwich. Gala is a great option, as is Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Golden Delicious. I do not recommend Red Delicious or Granny Smith for this turkey sandwich.
- Greens: The seasonal Panera Turkey Sandwich had a combination of kale and broccoli slaw on the sandwich. Sometimes, I use all broccoli slaw, sometimes I use all kale, and sometimes I take a shortcut and use a bagged Sweet Kale Salad which includes both.
- Poppy Seed Dressing: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade poppy seed dressing. If you opt to use a bag of Sweet Kale Salad for the greens, use the dressing included in the salad kit.
- Add Red Onions: While not original to the Panera Turkey Sandwich, sliced red onions add a nice sharp flavor to the sandwich and pair well with the sweet apples.
- Try it with Honey Mustard: If you aren't a fan of poppy seed dressing, dress this sandwich with honey mustard, which will add just the right sweet and tangy flavor to the overall sandwich.
- Mix up the Greens: Skip the broccoli slaw and kale combination and use green or red leaf lettuce.
- Try it with Ham: If you have leftover baked ham or Instant Pot Ham, use it in place of the turkey. It will be delicious!
More Copycat Panera Recipes
- Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Copycat Panera Greek Salad
- Puff Pastry Quiche Cups
- Cranberry Walnut Bread
If you enjoyed this Turkey Apple Sandwich, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
Copycat Panera Turkey Apple Sandwich
- ½ cup chopped kale leaves
- ½ cup broccoli slaw
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed dressing
- 8 slices cranberry walnut bread or whole grain bread of your choice
- 8 slices sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 large gala apple thinly sliced (or other sweet apple)
- 8-10 ounces thick sliced roasted turkey breast
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the broccoli slaw, kale, and poppy seed dressing, tossing to combine.
- Layer 4 slices of bread with a slice of cheese, followed by the slaw mixture, sliced turkey, sliced apples, and an additional slice of cheese. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread. Slice and serve immediately.
Originally published in September 2017, updated November 2023.