Tacos meet pizza in this delicious Taco pizza recipe! Made with refried beans, salsa, taco meat, cheese and topped with all your favorite taco toppings, this Taco Pizza is a delicious spin on pizza night.
Raise your hand if you LOVE tacos? Raise your hand if you LOVE pizza?
So it just makes sense that Taco Pizza is a good thing. A really good thing.
I remember the first time I had Taco Pizza. It was during a football game that my parents were watching with my aunts and uncles and my Dad had picked up a Papa Murphy’s Taco Pizza.
This Mexican Taco Pizza was made with refried beans, taco meat, and cheddar cheese that we topped with tomatoes lettuce and sour cream.
It was love at first bite–for my whole family.
But when I started making Taco pizza at home–GAME CHANGER!!!
Taco pizza is extremely easy to make, especially if you happen to have leftovers from taco night!
While you can prep this Taco Meat pizza from start to finish with ease, this meal
- Pizza Dough–Feel Free to use any pizza dough you like. I opt for homemade pizza dough, but store bought works in a pinch.
- Refried Beans–Refried beans form a hearty, flavorful base on this pizza. Either homemade refried beans or canned refried beans work well.
- Salsa–Salsa adds a pop of flavor and some moisture to this pizza. It works a lot like pizza sauce on traidtional pizzas. This is one instance where fresh is NOT best. Jarred salsa is best because it is thicker and will not water down the pizza as much as a fresh salsa would.
- Taco Meat–I use my recipe for homemade taco meat or if I am creating a meatless taco pizza, I top this pizza with sofritas. This is a great time to use leftovers. Even 1/2 cup of leftover taco meat or sofritas is all you need to create a delicious taco pizza.
- Cheese–Use sharp cheddar cheese or a Mexican blend cheese, as it pairs best with the Tex Mex flavor. However, if you want a Vegan Taco Pizza, omit the cheese and use sofritas as the meat.
- Toppings–Just like tacos, taco pizza is more delicious when served with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocados, sour cream, etc. Use whatever you like!
How to Make Homemade Taco Pizza
Step One: Prepare your Pizza Dough
- Roll out your pizza dough onto a 12 inch round pizza pan.
Step Two: Top your Taco Pizza
- Spread an even layer of refried beans over pizza dough.
- Sprinkle with even layer of taco meat or sofritas.
- Dollop salsa over pizza.
- Cover with cheese.
Step Three: Bake
- Bake your taco pizza until golden brown and bubbly.
Step Four: Serve with Toppings
- Slice up and serve this taco pizza with with your favorite taco toppings. I personally love smashed avocado or guacamole and shredded lettuce. My husband prefers sour cream and diced onions.
More Pizza Recipes
The next time you find yourself with leftover ingredients for tacos or just want to change up pizza night, I hope you give this Taco Pizza a try! And let me know in the comments how much you enjoyed–I love to hear from you!
For the Pizza Dough
- 3/4 cup warm water 100-105 degrees
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup flour
For the Taco Meat
- 1/2 pound ground beef or chicken or turkey
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
For the Pizza
- 1 cup refried beans
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, avocado, olives, sour cream, etc
For the Pizza Dough
- Combine the water and yeast and let sit for about 5 minutes in a large mixing bowl (or bowl of your stand mixer with dough hook attached
- Mix in the honey and oil. Add the flour and salt slowly and mix in as you go. With dough hook or large spatula mix together dough until well combined.
- Once mixed, knead for 5 minutes by hand on a lightly floured surface or with your dough hook on low-medium speed.
- Place dough in oiled bowl and cover and leave in warm spot for 20-30 minutes.
- Brown ground meat in skillet over medium high heat, breaking into small chunks as it browns. Once browned, drain off excess grease. Return meat to skillet and add in tomato sauce, water, and taco seasoning. Simmer on medium for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
For the Taco Pizza
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out your pizza dough onto a lightly greased pizza pan.
- Spread refried beans out evenly over pizza crust. Top with salsa. Sprinkle meat over salsa and then top with cheese.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until crust is cooked through and cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Pizza Dough--Feel Free to use any pizza dough you like.
- Salsa--This is one instance where fresh is NOT best. Jarred salsa is best because it is thicker and will not water down the pizza as much as a fresh salsa would.
- Vegan Taco Pizza--If you would like to have a Vegan Taco Pizza, use sofritas instead of taco meat and omit the cheese. Top with avocado after baking if desired.