Gluten Free Sweet Potato Waffles: Rich, warming spices, and sweet potato are blended into an easy gluten-free blender waffle batter that is transformed into the perfect fall breakfast.
Yet, I have only shared one basic whole wheat waffle recipe.
So it is high time I give some waffles some love–especially since I love waffles more than pancakes myself. It is those crispy edges and pockets for syrup that get me! So today I am sharing with you one of my fall favorites, Sweet Potato Waffles.
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Waffles
The best part about these sweet potato waffles is the rich warming fall flavor that comes through in every bite.
I love to make them the day after Thanksgiving and sub out my leftover Sweet Potato Casserole for the sweet potato puree. But you could use canned pumpkin or even pumpkin pie –why not?!
How to Make Sweet Potato Waffles
Start with Sweet Potato Puree
- To make sweet potato puree–roast sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until fork tender. Scoop out inside of sweet potato and mash or put in blender and puree until smooth.
Blend Waffle Batter
- Add remainder of ingredients into the blender that you blended the sweet potato puree in.
- Blend until batter is smooth.
- Heat waffle iron to medium-high heat.
- Brush with melted butter or coconut oil.
- Pour 1/3 cup waffle batter unto waffle iron an cook until crisp.
- Finish with bit of syrup and maybe a few toasted walnuts, and hello, breakfast!
Sweet Potato Waffles with Flour
If you are not looking for a gluten-free recipe, you can easily make these waffles with flour for traditional Sweet Potato Waffles.
- Replace the oats with 2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour.
- Mix the flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Mix together the wet ingredients and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Pour by 1/4 cup onto prepared waffle iron.
- Cook through.
Notes on Sweet Potato Waffles
- You can use gluten-free oats, old fashioned regular oats, or quick cooking oats for these sweet potato waffles. Do NOT use steel-cut oats.
- Instead of sweet potato puree, you can use leftover sweet potato casserole or canned pumpkin puree and these would become Gluten-Free Pumpkin Waffles, instead of Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Waffles
- Any variety milk works well in this easy waffle recipe. Use coconut milk or almond milk to keep these dairy-free sweet potato waffles.
More Sweet Potato Breakfast Recipes
- Baked Eggs in Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Pancakes with Spiced Apple Compote
- Healthy Baked Sweet Potato Oatmeal
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Hash with Cilantro Pesto
- Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
Sweet Potato Waffle Recipe
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Waffles
- 2 cups Sweet potato puree or leftover sweet potato casserole or pumpkin puree.
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Oats gluten-free
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg ground
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract--omit if using leftover casserole
- Grease and preheat the waffle iron according to manufacturer instructions.
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth and incorporated.
- Ladle 1/3 cup of mixture unto each waffle iron mold and cook until golden on both sides.
- Serve with toasted walnuts and maple syrup if desired.
To Make Sweet Potato Waffles
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.