Take dessert outside with this delicious Grilled Mixed Berry Crisp. Made with juicy, plump berries and a buttery oat topping, this simple grilled dessert creates one easy and satisfying summer dessert.
Triple Berry Crisp
But many summer days are simply too hot to bake. And that is when I love to turn to the grill for preparing desserts.
This Triple Berry Crisp features juicy summer berries but instead of being baked in the oven, it is easily prepared outside on the grill.
The berries get soft and sweet and a little bit smokey from the grill. And the crisp topping gets golden and a bit crispy, just as you would expect from an oven-baked crisp.
This is a simple summer dessert that is perfect to enjoy when it is simply too hot to bake.
- Berries: This recipe calls for 6 cups of berries. Use a combination of any berries you like. I prefer a mixture of blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Frozen or fresh berries can be used for this recipe.
- Lemon Juice: Will brighten up the flavors of the berry mixture. It is a key ingredient you don’t want to overlook for the best flavor.
- Cornstarch: The berries will release a lot of natural juices as they cook and the cornstarch helps to thicken up the mixture.
- Maple Syrup: I sweeten the berry mixture with a bit of maple syrup, but you use brown sugar or granulated sugar if desired.
- Crisp Topping: This is a traditional oat crumble made with flour, oats, butter, and sugar. Simple, yet delicious. Use gluten-free all-purpose flour to keep this crisp gluten-free.
How to Make a Grilled Crisp
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Grease a cast-iron skillet with butter or coconut oil.
- Combine berries with cornstarch, lemon juice, and sweetener and then pour into prepared pan.
- Prepare the crumble by mixing together flour, oats, cinnamon, sugar, and butter together until crumbly. I find this is best done with hands.
- Evenly spread over berry mixture and cover with foil.
- Place on the grill and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes, until berries are bubbly and thickened.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
More Favorite Recipe for Grilling
Grilled Mixed Berry Crisp
- butter or coconut oil for greasing pan
- 6 cups of berries frozen, fresh, or a combination is fine
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- squeeze of half a fresh lemon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For Crisp Topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats old-fashioned or regular cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Grease a 12 inch cast iron skillet with butter or coconut oil.
- Combine berries, maple syrup, lemon juice, and cornstarch together and pour into cast iron skillet.
- Blend flour, oats, sugar, butter, and cinnamon together with hands until mixture is crumbly. Spread evenly over berry mixture.
- Cover cast iron skillet with foil. Place on the grill. Cover the grill and cook anywhere from 20-30 minutes. My crisp was bubbling and hot at 20 minutes, but this will depend on your grill's heat and level of your flames.
- Serve plain, with whipped cream, yogurt, or ice cream.
- This recipe calls for 6 cups of berries. Use a combination of any berries you like. I prefer a mixture of blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Frozen or fresh berries can be used for this recipe.
- In place of the maple syrup, use brown sugar or granulated sugar if desired.
- Use gluten-free all-purpose flour to keep this crisp gluten-free.
This recipe was updated in 2020 but originally published in 2017.