You will ditch the boxed brownie mix forever once you try this easy recipe for Homemade Brownies. With crispy edges, fudgy centers, and rich, decadent chocolate flavor, these homemade brownies are the absolute best!
When the craving for a rich, chocolatey dessert strikes, you need this recipe for homemade brownies.
It is everything you crave in a brownie. Rich, moist, gooey, fudgy--a true chocolate lover's dream come true.
Some people shy away from making brownies at home because let's face it, those boxed brownie mixes are not only easy to make, they are pretty tasty as well.
However, with a few tips and tricks, you can have homemade brownies that are ALMOST as easy to make as boxed brownies and MUCH better tasting.
Notes on Ingredients & Equipment
- Flour: Use either all-purpose, whole white flour, or an all-purpose gluten-free 1:1 flour, if you need these brownies to be gluten-free.
- Butter: For the best flavor, butter is key in homemade brownies. Use unsalted butter for best results. I have tried this recipe with non-dairy butter sticks and while good, the brownies do not turn out as rich or fudgy in texture.
- Cocoa Powder: Be sure you are using a good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder, not hot cocoa powder.
- Chocolate Chips: Using both cocoa powder and chocolate chips gives these brownies the most outrageous, deep chocolate flavor. Use sweet, dark, or milk chocolate chips.
- Espresso Powder: For the best-flavored brownies, espresso powder is key. The espresso powder does not add a flavor of coffee but instead helps to enhance the rich chocolatey taste in these brownies. Trust me, it is a secret to really good brownies.
- Baking Dish: A glass square 8x8 baking dish is best for baking brownies. Metal pans heat up faster, which can cause the edges and bottom of the brownie to crisp up more than desired.
- Parchment Paper: While parchment paper makes it much easier to remove the brownies from the baking dish and cut them evenly, you can simply grease the baking dish with butter or nonstick baking spray, if you don't have parchment paper.
How To Make Homemade Brownies
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add espresso powder and sugar to the melted butter and whisk to combine.
- Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes until the sugar dissolves into the butter, whisking often.
- Remove from stove and let cool slightly, while you sift dry ingredients.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder over a large mixing bowl. It is REALLY important to sift the ingredients to remove all clumps and evenly distribute the baking powder and salt through the flour.
- Add the chocolate chips to the flour mixture and toss to coat. This keeps the chocolate chips suspended through the brownies so they melt evenly into the batter flavoring every bite.
- Add the eggs and butter mixture to the flour mixture and mix together with a wooden spoon or spatula until JUST combined. Do NOT overmix or brownies will become tough.
- Line square glass baking pan with parchment paper or grease well with butter.
- Pour the brownie batter into the pan and spread gently so that the brownie batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake the brownies until the center is set, but still soft. A toothpick will come out clean with a few crumbs still attached.
- Once brownies have been removed from the oven, let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Gently lift parchment paper from the pan and allow it to cool on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices and enjoy.
Secrets to the Best Homeamade Brownies
Remember these tips to make the most perfect brownies.
- For the best-flavored brownies, use both espresso powder and vanilla extract. Both vanilla and espresso powder work to boost the rich chocolaty taste in the brownies. You don't taste the espresso--you simply taste rich fudgy chocolate.
- Sift the dry ingredients. I know it is an extra step, but NO one wants to bite into a clump of flour or baking powder.
- Do not overbake the brownies. Be sure to only bake the brownies until JUST set--after all, gooey, fudgy brownies are the BEST!
- Don't slice the brownies immediately. While warm, gooey brownies are hard to resist, if you want your brownies to stay intact, it is best to allow them to cool slightly before slicing.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Instant Pot Chocolate Cheesecake
- Easy Chocolate Bark Recipe
- Dark Chocolate Panna Cotta
- Instant Pot Lava Cakes
- Crockpot Candy
If you tried these homemade brownies, I would love for you to leave a review below and I hope they satisfied your chocolate craving.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8x8 square glass baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add in espresso powder and sugar and whisk to combine. Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes until the sugar begins to melt into butter, whisking often. Remove from stove and cool while sifting dry ingredients.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add in chocolate chips and toss to coat.
- Add butter mixture, vanilla, and eggs to dry ingredients. Mix together with a wooden spoon or spatula until JUST combined. Do NOT overmix or brownies will become tough.
- Pour brownie batter into the prepared pan and spread gently for brownie batter to be evenly distributed in the pan.
- Bake brownies for 30-35 minutes, or until the center is set, but still soft. A toothpick should come out clean with a few crumbs still attached.
This post was originally published in 2019 but has been updated with a video and tips in 2022.