This is an easy recipe for a classic sausage breakfast casserole that has been modified for the pressure cooker. This Instant Pot Breakfast casserole is quick and easy to prepare, making it perfect for busy mornings.
I love breakfast casseroles.
The great thing about breakfast casseroles is that they can be prepped ahead of time and baked in the morning for an easy, hearty breakfast perfect for a crowd.
But when using the Instant Pot, a breakfast casserole can be ready in less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
This breakfast casserole is hearty, filling, cheesy, and EASY to make.
Hash browns, sausage, eggs, and cheese are the stars in this easy gluten-free breakfast dish.
- Hash browns: You can use defrosted shredded or cubed hashbrowns. In fact, you can even use frozen tater tots, you will just need to add 10 minutes cook time to account for the frozen hashbrowns.
- Cheese: Use any sharp, melting cheese to top this casserole. I think cheddar, Colby, or Swiss are perfect options for this casserole
- Sausage: I love using homemade breakfast sausage to add flavor and bulk, but you can opt to omit the sausage and add sauteed veggies, or use bacon, etc.
Step One: Saute Sausage
- Turn pressure cooker to saute and let heat.
- Add in sausage and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Remove cooked breakfast sausage from the instant pot.
- Add in 1 cup water to the inner pan of the instant pot and add trivet into the pressure cooker.
Step Two: Make Egg Mixture
- Whisk together eggs with milk and seasonings until well combined.
Step Three: Layer Breakfast Casserole
- Lightly grease an oven-safe 7 inch by 4 inch baking dish.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with defrosted hash browns.
- Sprinkle sausage over hash browns.
- Pour eggs over the sausage and hash browns.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Step Four: Pressure Cook
- Tightly cover the baking dish with foil.
- Place casserole on a trivet in a pressure cooker.
- Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes, using a manual button.
- Allow pressure to release manually for 5 minutes and then do a quick release
More Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Instant Pot Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Hash
- Instant Pot Egg Bites
I would love for you to give this fast breakfast casserole a try and be sure to leave a review below. I love to hear from you!
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
- 3 cups hash browns defrosted
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup colby cheese shredded
- Turn pressure cooker to saute and let heat. Add in sausage and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove cooked breakfast sausage from the instant pot. Turn the Instant Pot OFF.
- Add in 1.5 cups cold water to the Instant Pot and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot to prevent burn notice. Place the trivet inside the inner pot.
- Whisk together eggs with milk and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Lightly grease an oven-safe 7 by 3 inch baking dish. Cover the bottom of the pan with defrosted hash browns. Sprinkle sausage over hash browns. Pour eggs mixture over sausage and hash browns. Sprinkle with cheese and cover with foil.
- Place casserole on a trivet in the pressure cooker. Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes, using the manual button. Some people find 25 minutes is more to their liking.
- Allow pressure to release manually for 5 to 10 minutes and then do a quick release and serve.
- Be sure your hash browns are fully defrosted. If not, this casserole will take MUCH longer to cook.
- If you use a super heavy duty foil to cover this casserole, you will want to increase cook time by 5 minutes.
- If you happen to only have a 6-inch pan, increase cook time to 23 minutes on high pressure.
- I have made this with tater tots in place of hash browns. I used one layer of FROZEN tater tots and then cooked for 25 minutes on high pressure.