Instant Pot Chicken Orzo Soup is a quick and easy recipe for chicken soup featuring tender chicken and perfectly cooked orzo in a light and bright broth kissed with lemon.
Inspired by my recipe for Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup, this flavorful recipe for Instant Pot Orzo Soup is made with everyday, wholesome ingredients to deliver a comforting, healthy Instant Pot Chicken Recipe in under 30 minutes!
Why You Will Love Instant Pot Orzo Soup
- Super Flavorful. Thanks to the dry white wine, the garlic, and the fresh lemon juice, this recipe delivers nuanced, restaurant-quality flavor with minimal effort.
- Family-Favorite Recipe. Everyone loves this soup! it is made with picky-eater-approved pasta and chicken.
- Healthy 30-Minute Dinner Recipe. From start to finish, this flavorful Instant Pot Soup comes together in 30 minutes. Quick and easy!
- Comforting & Soul-Satisfying Soup. Just like Chicken and Vegetable Soup and Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, this recipe is loaded with antioxidants and rich chicken broth that will help you feel better when you are feeling under the weather.
Notes on Ingredients
- Chicken: Use either boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs.
- Aromatics: Just like most recipes for chicken soup, this recipe calls for using a combination of onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. For best results, use a yellow or white onion.
- White Wine: Dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay, adds a depth of flavor and richness that cannot be duplicated using just broth.
- Chicken Stock: Use your favorite low-sodium store-bought, homemade chicken stock, or Instant Pot Chicken Stock.
- Orzo: Orzo is the best choice for this soup. Changing the type of pasta will change the cooking time and results.
- Lemon: Adding the zest and juice of a lemon will really make the flavors pop and take the soup to a delicious new level.
- Alcohol-Free: Omit the wine, and replace it with additional chicken stock.
- Make it with Leftover Chicken: In place of sauteeing the chicken, stir in 2 cups of diced leftover rotisserie chicken or cooked, shredded Instant Pot Chicken breast along with the orzo.
- Keep the Soup Vegetarian: Use vegetable broth in place of the chicken stock and in place of the cubed chicken, add 16 ounces of canned chickpeas, that have been rinsed and drained.
- Add some Spice. Add up to 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the soup for a bit of heat.
- Add more flavor: Feel free to add in 1 sprig of fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon of dried thyme, which pairs well with the chicken and lemon in this soup.
∗ Tips to Remember ∗
This Instant Pot Orzo soup recipe is not at all hard to make, and you can find the detailed instructions in the recipe card, but I do have a few tips to keep in mind to ensure the best results possible.
- Tip #1: Saute the Chicken and Vegetables. It only takes a few extra minutes to saute the chicken with the carrots, onions, and celery, but it really helps to add depth of flavor to this soup.
- Tip #2: Deglaze with Wine. Adding wine to the inner pot and scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the inner pot, works to not only add acidity and balance to the soup but also helps to prevent a burn notice.
- Tip #3: Let Pressure Release for Exactly 10 Minutes. This will ensure your chicken and orzo are perfectly cooked.
- Tip #4 Finish with Lemon. Adding the zest and juice of a fresh lemon brings this soup to life and gives it a memorable flavor
- Refrigerate: Store leftover cooled orzo soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Transfer the cooled soup to an airtight, freezer-safe container, leaving 1 inch of room for expansion, and freeze for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Reheat: Allow the soup to defrost in the refrigerator overnight if needed. Simmer over low heat or microwave in 30-second intervals until warmed through. Keep in mind that the orzo will absorb liquid as the soup chills, so you may need/desire to thin out the soup with additional broth or water.
More Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you tried this Instant Pot Chicken Orzo Soup, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
Quick & Cozy Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Orzo
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs cubed into 1" pieces
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small yellow onion minced
- 2 ribs celery minced
- 2 large carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic *see note
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dried orzo
- 1 small lemon
- Using the sauté function, turn the Instant Pot on, add in the oil, and let the oil heat briefly.
- Once the oil has heated, add in the cubed chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add in the onions, celery, and carrots, and saute until the chicken is golden and the onion has begun to soften. Once softened, add in the garlic and toast for 30-60 seconds, just until your nose begins to smell the garlic.
- If using wine, add it to the inner pot. If not using wine, add in ¼ cup of chicken stock, and using a wooden spoon or spatula, scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the inner pot. Let the wine (or stock) cook for 1 minute, then hit cancel to turn off the sauté function.
- Add the chicken stock, orzo, and bay leaves to the inner pot. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and be sure the venting knob is sealed or the lid is locked. Using the manual or pressure cook button, set the cooking time to 2 minutes on high pressure. Once the cooking time has elapsed, allow pressure to release for exactly 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, use the handle on a long utensil to carefully knock the vent knob from sealed to venting.
- Open up the Instant Pot, add in the zest and juice of a lemon, and stir to combine. Remove the bay leaves and dish up the orzo soup.