Lasagna Roll-Ups are an EASY way to prepare classic lasagna. A creamy ricotta mixture is rolled up in lasagna noodles with your family’s favorite meat or vegetable toppings. Smothered in tomato sauce and cheese, these lasagna roll-ups are absolutely irresistible.
Why these Lasagna Roll-Ups are Perfect for Families
- These Lasagna Rolls are NOT at all complicated or time-consuming. Lasagna gets a rap for being a complicated, time-consuming dish to prepare, but this recipe is quite simple to prepare.
- Customizable. Parents of picky eaters rejoice! You can add whatever fillings you like to each lasagna roll-up. Add spinach and sauteed mushrooms for the adults, pepperoni for the kids, and cheese for the vegetarians. Everyone can have what they want in these lasagna rolls!
What You Need
- Lasagna Noodles: Use whole wheat, regular, or even gluten-free noodles. Just do not use oven-ready noodles as they will not work for this recipe.
- Ricotta: Feel free to use cottage cheese in place of ricotta in the filling if desired. If using cottage cheese, it is best to drain by placing the cottage cheese in a fine-mesh strainer for at least 4 hours before preparing the filling. This will keep the roll-ups from being watery.
- Tomato Sauce: Use your favorite homemade tomato sauce or store-bought sauce for this recipe. A meat sauce will work for this recipe as well.
- Filling Options: Use ANYTHING you like to sprinkle on the ricotta mixture to flavor the lasagna roll-ups. Spinach, pepperoni, cooked sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.
Step-By-Step Directions for Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Cook the noodles according to package directions and drain well.
- Grease a casserole dish with a bit of olive oil or cooking spray. Spread a think layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Mix together the ricotta with seasonings and egg.
- Spread a thin layer of the ricotta mixture on cooked noodles.
- Add a thin layer of your favorite toppings to the lasagna roll-ups. Be careful to not overstuff the rolls, or you will make it hard to roll the lasagna noodles up.
- Carefully roll up each lasagna noodle and then place them into the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with Marinara Sauce or your favorite meat sauce. Sprinkle generously with cheese and bake.
Store Lasagna Noodles in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Reheat in a microwave-safe dish for 2-3 minutes or heat in an oven-safe dish at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until warmed through.
Alternatively, you can wrap individual leftover baked and cooled roll-ups in foil and then place them into a freezer-safe bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge. Place in an oven-safe dish and top with additional tomato sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until warmed through.
Preparing in Advance
Just like traditional lasagna, lasagna roll-ups can be prepared up to baking and frozen to pull out of the freezer and bake as desired.
- Instead of using a classic casserole dish, use a freezer to oven baking dish or a disposable oven-safe foil pan.
- Prepare the lasagna roll-ups as directed up to baking.
- Cover the pan with two layers of heavy-duty foil.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To cook from frozen, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 1 hour covered. Uncover and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes until the cheese is melted and the dish is warmed through.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Remember, you can add any toppings to the lasagna rolls your family likes. You can even make each roll different to accommodate different tastes.
- Be careful to not overstuff the rolls, or you will make it hard to roll the lasagna noodles up.
- If using vegetables in the filling, it is best to saute them first, as fresh vegetables will give off liquid as they cook and can make the rolls soggy.
More Lasagna Inspired Recipes
- Mexican Lasagna: A Tex-Mex spin on a classic Italian favorite.
- Easy Homemade Lasagna: An easy lasagna recipe made with meat sauce and a cottage cheese filling.
- Instant Pot Lasagna: Classic Lasagna made FAST in the Instant Pot.
- Ravioli Lasagna: Out of this world lasagna made with cheese ravioli.
- Pierogi Lasagna: Mashed Potatoes, cheese, and noodles baked in lasagna form. This dish tastes just like pierogies!
I hope your family enjoys these pizza-like Lasagna Rolls as much as my family! And be sure to leave a star review if you do give it a try!
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- 12 lasanga noodles
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1/2 to 1 cup desired pizza toppings like pepperoni, crumbled cooked sausage, sauteed mushrooms, and peppers
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a 7x11 baking dish (or 2 quart baking dish) by spreading just enough marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish just to cover.
- Prepare the lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Mix together the ricotta, Parmesan, oregano, garlic, and egg together.
- Spread the lasagna noodles with a thin layer of the ricotta mixture and then top with a thin layer of desired pizza toppings and carefully roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Cover with remaining marinara sauce and top with Mozzarella Cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.