Baked Ravioli delivers the flavors of lasagna without the work! This simple casserole is made with just three ingredients to create a cheesy, comforting, easy meal your family will love!
Baked Ravioli is a simple cheesy pasta bake that mimics the flavor of lasagna, without the work!
Instead of cooking lasagna noodles, making a ricotta cheese filling, and layering everything together with spaghetti sauce as you do with traditional lasagna, this recipe for Baked Ravioli skips the labor-intensive steps and uses cheese ravioli as a massive time-saving shortcut.
After all, cheese ravioli is just pasta stuffed with a cheesy ricotta mixture, making it the perfect ingredient to use to deliver classic lasagna flavors without the work.
Baked Ravioli is creamy, cheesy, and the perfect simple recipe to turn to on busy nights. It is one of my family's all-time favorite recipes.
Notes on Ingredients
There are only 3 needed ingredients for this recipe. That said, I do encourage you to add some dried spices, especially if you opt to use jarred spaghetti sauce.
- Ravioli: Cheese or spinach and cheese ravioli is the way to go, as the filling will give you the same taste you know and love in lasagna. You can use either fresh or frozen ravioli with delicious results.
- Spaghetti Sauce: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce. Keep in mind if selecting store-bought sauce, you will want to ensure it is one with really good flavor to make the most delicious baked ravioli.
- Cheese: Use mozzarella or an Italian blend of cheese for this casserole. If you have it on hand, adding parmesan cheese as well is always a good idea. For best results, shred the cheese yourself, so that it melts uniformly.
- Spices: As I stated, this is optional, but adding garlic powder and oregano really helps to amp up the flavors in this simple dish.
How to Make Baked Ravioli
- Grease a baking dish with a bit of olive oil or nonstick spray to prevent the casserole from sticking to the pan.
- Spread a thin, even layer of spaghetti sauce over the bottom of the pan.
- Spread half of the ravioli, in a single layer, overlapping slightly if needed, over the spaghetti sauce.
- Top the ravioli with half of the remaining sauce, spreading to cover, and then top with half of the mozzarella cheese. If using, now is a great time to sprinkle the cheese with a ¼ teaspoon each of garlic powder and oregano, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Repeat the layers.
- If desired, add grated parmesan cheese to the final layer of cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake, uncovered, for 20-25 more minutes or until the ravioli is cooked through and the cheese is nice and melted.
- Let the baked ravioli set up for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve Baked Ravioli with freshly grated parmesan cheese, Homemade Garlic Toast, and a Copycat Panera Greek Salad for one delicious family meal!
Baked Ravioli with Meat
While this Baked Ravioli is hearty and delicious without any need for adding meat, if desired, you have a few options for meat.
- A fast way to impart a lot of flavor to this ravioli lasagna is to add a layer of thinly sliced pepperoni in between the layers of ravioli.
- Use leftover Bolognese Sauce in place of the spaghetti sauce, for an incredibly rich baked pasta.
- Make a quick meat sauce by browning 1 pound of ground Italian sausage or lean ground beef in a large skillet until cooked through. Stir in the spaghetti sauce and use as directed in the casserole.
Store leftover Baked Ravioli in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat individual servings by heating them for 30-45 seconds in the microwave on a heat-safe plate covered with a damp paper towel. The paper towel will help keep the pasta from drying out when reheated and prevents a mess in the microwave.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you tried this Baked Ravioli, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
- 24 ounces package fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with a thin layer of spaghetti sauce. Spread half of the ravioli, in a single layer, overlapping slightly if needed, over the spaghetti sauce. Top the ravioli with half of the remaining sauce, spreading to cover, and then top with half of the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle the cheese with a ½ teaspoon each of garlic powder and oregano. Repeat the layers.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for additional 10 minutes if using fresh or defrosted ravioli and 20 minutes if using frozen ravioli.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve with Parmesan Cheese if desired.