Baked Ravioli delivers the flavors of lasagna without the work! This simple casserole is made with just three ingredients to create a cheesy, comforting, easy meal your family will love!
Baked Ravioli is a simple cheesy pasta bake that mimics the flavor of lasagna, without the work!
Instead of cooking lasagna noodles, making a ricotta cheese filling, and layering everything together with spaghetti sauce as you do with traditional lasagna, this recipe for Baked Ravioli skips the labor-intensive steps and uses cheese ravioli as a massive time-saving shortcut.
After all, cheese ravioli is just pasta stuffed with a cheesy ricotta mixture, making it the perfect ingredient to use to deliver classic lasagna flavors without the work.
Baked Ravioli is creamy, cheesy, and the perfect simple recipe to turn to on busy nights. It is one of my family's all-time favorite recipes.
Notes on Ingredients
There are only 3 needed ingredients for this recipe. That said, I do encourage you to add some dried spices, especially if you opt to use jarred spaghetti sauce.
- Ravioli: Cheese or spinach and cheese ravioli is the way to go, as the filling will give you the same taste you know and love in lasagna. You can use either fresh or frozen ravioli with delicious results.
- Spaghetti Sauce: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce. Keep in mind if selecting store-bought sauce, you will want to ensure it is one with really good flavor to make the most delicious baked ravioli.
- Cheese: Use mozzarella or an Italian blend of cheese for this casserole. If you have it on hand, adding parmesan cheese as well is always a good idea. For best results, shred the cheese yourself, so that it melts uniformly.
- Spices: As I stated, this is optional, but adding garlic powder and oregano really helps to amp up the flavors in this simple dish.
How to Make Baked Ravioli
- Grease a baking dish with a bit of olive oil or nonstick spray to prevent the casserole from sticking to the pan.
- Spread a thin, even layer of spaghetti sauce over the bottom of the pan.
- Spread half of the ravioli, in a single layer, overlapping slightly if needed, over the spaghetti sauce.
- Top the ravioli with half of the remaining sauce, spreading to cover, and then top with half of the mozzarella cheese. If using, now is a great time to sprinkle the cheese with a ¼ teaspoon each of garlic powder and oregano, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Repeat the layers.
- If desired, add grated parmesan cheese to the final layer of cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake, uncovered, for 20-25 more minutes or until the ravioli is cooked through and the cheese is nice and melted.
- Let the baked ravioli set up for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve Baked Ravioli with freshly grated parmesan cheese, Homemade Garlic Toast, and a Copycat Panera Greek Salad for one delicious family meal!
Baked Ravioli with Meat
While this Baked Ravioli is hearty and delicious without any need for adding meat, if desired, you have a few options for meat.
- A fast way to impart a lot of flavor to this ravioli lasagna is to add a layer of thinly sliced pepperoni in between the layers of ravioli.
- Use leftover Bolognese Sauce in place of the spaghetti sauce, for an incredibly rich baked pasta.
- Make a quick meat sauce by browning 1 pound of ground Italian sausage or lean ground beef in a large skillet until cooked through. Stir in the spaghetti sauce and use as directed in the casserole.
Store leftover Baked Ravioli in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat individual servings by heating them for 30-45 seconds in the microwave on a heat-safe plate covered with a damp paper towel. The paper towel will help keep the pasta from drying out when reheated and prevents a mess in the microwave.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you tried this Baked Ravioli, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
- 24 ounces package fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with a thin layer of spaghetti sauce. Spread half of the ravioli, in a single layer, overlapping slightly if needed, over the spaghetti sauce. Top the ravioli with half of the remaining sauce, spreading to cover, and then top with half of the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle the cheese with a ½ teaspoon each of garlic powder and oregano. Repeat the layers.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for additional 10 minutes if using fresh or defrosted ravioli and 20 minutes if using frozen ravioli.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve with Parmesan Cheese if desired.
This dinner was easy to prepare and so delicious! My husband and I really enjoyed it. I will be adding this into my dinner rotation!
I LOVE hearing this is going to be a regular Brandy! Thanks for sharing!
Just as good as regular lasagna but so much easier. Thanks for the recipe!
So much easier! I am so glad you to hear you enjoyed the Ravioli Taryn!
Should I thaw the frozen ravioli before placing it in my baking dish? Thanks.
Do you cook the ravioli before placing in oven? What if it’s frozen?
Hi Diane! You can use either fresh or frozen ravioli with delicious results. There is no need to defrost the ravioli, simply layer and bake as directed. It will defrost and cook in the allotted time.
I'm making this tonight, but in a doubled, large pan version because I have a 15 year old with a hollow leg! 😂
It looks great and I can't wait to try it, but I missed the "mix the spinach with the cheese" step so it got sprinkled on instead!
I hope you enjoy Erika! This is one of our favorites! And no worries about sprinkling with spinach 😉
Eating cookies while you're in pain. Not fair! Being a new mom is so special. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe my baby boy is 11! Happy Birthday to Tate! ❤️️
LOL!! That is my husband for you! And our babies grow so fast! So hard to believe!
Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Love this recipe, Kristen! SO creative!
my daughter is so fussy with dinners, and lasagna is her all time favorite, but man it can be time consuming to make, I LOVE how easy this is. now she can have lasagna any time she wants
Heather, this will make your daughter so happy and your life SO much easier!!
Abby @ Heart of a Baker
I'm a sucker for anything that will get me to lasagna for dinner faster!
Well then you found your new favorite lasagna!!
Megan @ MegUnprocessed
This is creative! Great recipe idea!
Katrina @In Katrina's Kitchen
Okay this is fabulous! Happy birthday to your son!
Thanks Katrina! I hope you give it a try 🙂