Creamy mashed potatoes and cheese are layered in between lasagna noodles to create Pierogi Lasagna--a carb lover's dream come true! This Mashed Potato Lasagna is the PERFECT recipe to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
Whether you use Classic Mashed Potatoes, Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes, Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, or your family's leftover mashed potatoes, this is the BEST recipe for leftover mashed potatoes. It tastes like a giant pierogi--with a whole lot less work!
At my house, we ALWAYS overestimate how many mashed potatoes we need to make for large gatherings. I mean GROSSLY overestimate. While we all love potatoes, I forget I do not need to prepare 3 pounds of potatoes per person, especially when they are often the side dish to Roasted Turkey or Instant Pot Ham.
However, leftover potatoes are NOT a bad thing if you plan to use them to make pierogi lasagna.
Making a lasagna with mashed potatoes may seem absolutely insane, but think about it. By layering creamy potatoes between layers of soft pasta, you replicate the taste and texture of pierogis. This recipe for Mashed Potato lasagna just happens to be a whole lot easier than making homemade pierogis from scratch. In fact, I think of this recipe as Lazy Pierogis!
Bottom line, if you love pierogis and you have found yourself with leftover mashed potatoes--this Mashed Potato Lasagna or Pierogi Lasagna is a MUST make! It is pure comfort food! It is the absolutely perfect way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. But truthfully, I would gladly whip up mashed potatoes any day of the week to have this for my dinner!
How to Make Pierogi Lasagna
This is a really simple recipe to make when you have leftover mashed potatoes on hand.
Start with layering leftover mashed potatoes with cooked noodles. A pro-tip is to reheat your mashed potatoes with a bit of milk or cream to soften them up and make them easy to spread over the noodles.
And then, of course, smoother in cheese--because in my book the pierogis with added cheese to the filling are the best!
Bake the lasagna until the potatoes are warmed through and the cheese is melted. It is important to bake the potato lasagna covered with foil for the majority of the bake time. If not, your potatoes will get very dried out.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Serving: I recommend topping with crispy bacon and serving with sour cream on the side for dipping. I also love to add caramelized onions if I have them on hand. Not much goes better with pierogis than bacon, sour cream, and onions! I also have served this with Sauerkraut for a nice kick and contrast in flavors and textures.
- No-Boil Noodles: This recipe does not work using no-boil noodles. It is important to use pre-cooked noodles.
- Storage: You can store leftover Pierogi Lasagna for 4 days in the refrigerator.
More Lasagna Recipes
If you made this Pierogi Lasagna, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
- butter for greasing pan
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes this was from about 5 pounds of potatoes
- 3-4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 lasgana noodles boiled (I used whole wheat)
- 4 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled optional
- sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously butter a 9x13 pan. Spread 2 cups of mashed potatoes on the bottom pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Place 3 noodles over the layer of cheese. Repear layers. For the final layer, spread the remaining potatoes over the last layer of noodles. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese (use anywhere from 1-2 cups on this final layer), bacon (if using) and then cover with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes and then remove foil. Bake for another 20 minutes, until cheese is browned.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
- Serve as is, or with caramelized onions and a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Use any of your family's favorite mashed potato recipe for this leftover potato casserole
- This recipe does not work with the "oven-ready" lasagna noodles, to the lack of excess moisture in the mashed potatoes.
- Leftovers can be store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. This lasagna does not freeze well.