Hasselback Sweet Potatoes are sweet potatoes that have been thinly sliced and then baked with a sweet maple glaze until tender and perfectly sweet. These sweet potatoes make a decadent, yet healthy, impressive side dish.
Today, I am sharing with you one of the EASIEST, not to mention the tastiest, sweet potato side dish that is a spin-off on Hasselback Potatoes.
Instead of russet potatoes that are slathered in butter and cheese, this sweet potato version is made with a sweet glaze that perfectly compliments the earthy flavor of the sweet potato.
In fact, Hasselback Sweet Potatoes mimics the flavors of my Sweet Potato Casserole--but require much less prep-work!
And this recipe is gluten-free and adaptable to be paleo-friendly, vegan-friendly, and dairy-free.
Notes on Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes: Select sweet potatoes that are even in size and fairly about 3 inches in diameter, so that the potatoes cook evenly and have enough width to be sliced and glazed.
- Coconut Oil/Butter: Both coconut oil and butter work well with the flavors in Hasselback Sweet Potatoes. Use coconut oil if you are dairy-free, vegan, or paleo, or use butter if you do not have dietary restrictions.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg: Cinnamon and nutmeg are a MUST when preparing sweetened sweet potatoes. They add so much depth of flavor to the sweet potatoes.
- Maple Syrup: The maple syrup helps to add moisture and sweetness to the sweet potatoes. It also gets gooey and a bit sticky when baked, giving the potatoes are delightful texture.
- Nuts: Use chopped pecans or walnuts as they pair best with the flavor of sweet potatoes. Or omit the nuts for a nut-free recipe.
How to Make Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Par bake the sweet potatoes until just begging to get soft. This way the potato will dry out, plus it is easier to slice. You can "par-bake" these sweet potatoes in the instant pot by cooking large sweet potatoes for 10 minutes on High Pressure in the Instant Pot, instead of baking them in the oven. This will save you a bit of prep time.
- Slice about 10 slits into sweet potatoes ¾ of the way through. Use dowels or wooden spoon handles on either side of your sweet potato when cutting. This will ensure you don't cut through the sweet potato fully when cutting the slits.
- In a small bowl mix together melted butter or coconut oil with the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and dash of salt.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over the sweet potato getting in between each slice. That will allow every bite of your sweet potato to sing with flavor.
- Sprinkle with the chopped nuts if using.
- Bake until the sweet potatoes are tender and the nuts are golden.
Preparing In Advance
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes are a great dish to serve during the holidays. You can get a jump start on this recipe by par-baking your sweet potatoes up to 3 days in advance. Refrigerate the sweet potatoes for up to 3 days and then when ready to serve, slice and glaze the sweet potatoes and bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until warmed through and fully tender.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
If you enjoyed this easy recipe for Hasselback Sweet Potatoes, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Par bake the potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and slice about 10 slits into each sweet potato, cutting only ¾ of the way through. Use dowels or wooden spoon handles on either side of your sweet potato to prevent slicing through fully.
- Melt butter or coconut oil in a small heat safe bowl in the microwave. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix together.
- Gently fan the slices of the sweet potato out and then use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over the sweet potato getting in between each slice. Sprinkle with chopped nuts if using.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Serve immediately.