Healthy Hasselback Sweet Potatoes: Roasted sweet potatoes are baked with a fancy streusel of maple, coconut oil and pecans, for an elegant and easy side dish.
Aw, for the love of sweet potatoes.
I am a bit obsessed don’t you think? I have sweet potato pancakes, sweet potato chili, sweet potato nachos, sweet potato burritos, sweet potato egg boats, and a sweet potato quiche–just to name a few!
You need to check out all my Easy Sweet Potato Recipes!
But how can you blame me?
Sweet potatoes can be used in sweet or savory preparations and are full of fiber and vitamin A. Plus they just taste good.
Today, I am sharing with you one of the EASIEST, not to mention tastiest, sweet potato side dish.
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Have you seen Hasselback Russet Potatoes?
Sliced pototates that melted butter, cheese and seasonings are poured over the top and baked into the potato itself?
Well let me introdcue you to the Sweet Potato version of Hasselback potatoes.
How to Make Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Slice about 10 slits into sweet potatoes 3/4 of the way through. Use dowels or wooden spoon handles on either side of your sweet potato so you don’t cut through the sweet potato, when cutting the slits.
- Drizzle with melted coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, maple syrup, and chopped pecans.
Tips on Paleo Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- If you aren’t paleo or dairy-free, you can use melted butter instead of melted coconut oil.
- You can also use any nuts you like for these Baked Streusel Topped Sweet Potatoes–I personally like pecans or walnuts.
- I like to use 2 chopsticks or 2 wooden spoons to place on either side of the sweet potato when slicing, to ensure I don’t slice all the way through.
- It is best to use a pastry brush to get the glaze inside the slits of the sweet potato.
- It is important to par-bake the sweet potatoes, before slicing. This way the potato will dry out (plus it is easier to slice.)
- You can “par-bake” these sweet potatoes in the instant pot by cooking large sweet potatoes for 10 minutes on High Pressure in the Instant Pot, instead of baking them in the oven.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Baked Eggs in Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato Nachos with Avocado Cilantro Cream
- Vegan Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
Hasselback Sweet Potato Recipe
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and slit 8-10 slits across the potato-- 3/4 of the way through the flesh of the potato and slightly fan out.
- Mix together spices, syrup and oil and pour over each potato--being sure to get into the slits of the potatoes. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.