This is the BEST Banana Bread! Moist, tender and full of banana flavor, this Healthy Banana Bread is made with whole wheat flour and naturally sweetened with honey.
There is something about a slice of warm banana bread that is irresistible. As a child it was one of my favorite treats, and now is one of my children’s favorites as well.
Healthy Banana Bread
I have given the traditional banana bread recipe a healthy make-over. Refined sugar has been swapped for honey and white flour is exchanged for whole wheat flour.
But a healthy make-over means nothing if the bread is not delicious–right?!
Don’t worry, this healthy banana bread is incredibly delicious. It has the perfect amount of sweetness and even with the whole wheat flour, it is still incredibly moist and tender. It is perfect served alone or with a slathering of peanut butter.
Ingredients for Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Flour–white wheat or all purpose flour can be substituted for the whole wheat flour.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Oil/Butter–feel free to use canola oil or melted butter in place of the coconut oil.
- Honey–maple syrup can be substituted for honey.
- Egg–if you need Egg Free Banana Bread, substitute a flax egg for the egg.
- Bananas–1 cup mashed banana, or 3-4 bananas. Be sure bananas are super ripe for the most flavor!
- Optional: Add up to 1 cup of chocolate chips into the banana bread batter before baking for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
How to Make Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Step One: Prepare Baking Dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch loaf pan with butter or coconut oil, or use a silcone baking pan.
Step Two: Mix together dry ingredients
- In mixing bowl, whisk or sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Step Three: Mix together the wet ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, vanilla, and egg.
- Add in the mashed bananas and stir well. Be careful to not over mix, to keep this bread tender and light.
Step Four: Combine the wet and dry ingredients
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients gently until just combined.
- Do not over mix as this will cause your bread to become rough.
- Pour the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Step Five: Bake the Banana Bread
- Bake until banana bread is no longer wobbly, or when a toothpick inserted into bread comes out dry.
Step Six: Allow Banana Bread to Cool
- Once banana bread has been baked, remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Let banana bread sit in pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove banana bread from loaf pan and allow to finish cooling completely on cooling rack.
Can you use Frozen Bananas?
YES! I love to store overripe bananas in the freezer.
- Place peeled bananas in freezer safe bag.
- When you want to make banana bread, remove 3 bananas.
- Microwave bananas for 1 minute and mash.
- Microwave an additional 30 seconds if needed.
- Let cool before adding to wet ingredients, so you won’t scramble eggs.
How to Store Banana Bread
Whole wheat banana bread is very moist and can therefore grow mold quickly if left out at room temperature for more than two days.
- Allow bread to cool completely.
- Place in sealed container and store at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Feel free to warm up or toast before serving.
To Freeze Banana Bread
- Allow Banana Bread to cool completely.
- Place in freezer safe bag or container.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost bread for 12 hours in refrigerator and then use within 5 days.
More Healthy Banana Recipes
- Gluten Free Banana Oat Pancakes
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Healthy Banana Split Sundae
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Sushi
- Paleo Banana Bread Muffins from Healthy Seasonal Recipes
Healthy Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted or butter or canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed banana 3-4 bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In mixing bowl, sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In large mixing bowl, combine oil, honey, vanilla and egg. Add in mashed banana and mix well.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove from pan and finish cooling before slicing.
- Maple syrup can be used in place of honey.
- Feel free to use all purpose or white wheat flour instead of whole wheat flour.
- Canola oil or melted butter can be used instead of coconut oil.
- This recipe will also yield 10 mini banana bread recipes. Make as directed and then bake for 25-30 minutes in greased mini loaf pans