Moist, tender, and full of banana flavor, this recipe for Healthy Banana Bread is made with whole grains, naturally sweetened, and lower in fat, yet just as delicious as the classic recipe.
When you find yourself with an abundance of overripe bananas, it is time to make Homemade Banana Bread. And this recipe for Healthy Banana Bread is the BEST Banana Bread recipe ever!
Healthier Yet Just as Delicious
Healthy baked goods can get a bad rap. Most are dry, flavorless, or have an artificial taste due to artificial sugar replacements. This healthy banana bread recipe, along with my recipes for Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread, Healthy Blueberry Muffins, and Spiced Apple Bread, all prove that just because a recipe is better for you, it should not sacrifice taste or texture.
Instead of being made with copious amounts of refined sugar, this recipe for banana bread is naturally sweetened with simply overripe bananas and honey. Not only does this combination give the bread just the right amount of sweetness, but it also adds moisture to the banana bread. That moisture keeps the banana bread light and fluffy even though it is made with whole grains. It also cuts back on the amount of oil needed, which keeps this recipe lower in fat.
Even though this recipe is healthier, it truly is the best recipe for Banana Bread--perfectly sweet, tender, and full of banana flavor.
Notes on Ingredients
- Flour: In place of all-purpose flour, use whole white wheat flour or 100% whole wheat flour both work for this recipe. Whole white wheat will keep the bread a bit lighter and the flavors of banana more pronounced--and don't worry it is still 100% whole grains!
- Oil/Butter: Because of the number of mashed bananas added to this bread, only ¼ cup of oil is needed. Feel free to use canola oil, melted butter, or melted coconut oil.
- Honey: Feel free to use maple syrup in place of the honey.
- Bananas: Select bananas that are be beginning to turn brown and soft to the touch. This recipe uses 1 cup of mashed banana which translates to about 3 bananas.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, butter, or coconut oil.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt over a large mixing bowl. It is really important to sift your dry ingredients to get rid of the lumps that your baking soda or baking powder has. If you don't want to take the time to sift, whisk ingredients really well to break up any lumps.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, vanilla, and egg. Add in the mashed bananas and stir well.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Be careful to not over mix, to keep this bread tender and light.
- Pour the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan and evenly spread out with a spatula or by gently tapping the pan on the counter.
- Bake until banana bread is no longer wobbly, or when a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out dry.
- Once banana bread has been baked, remove it from the oven and place it on a cooling rack, and let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a butter knife to loosen bread from the pan and then allow to finish cooling completely on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, slice and serve.
Storing Banana Bread
Whole wheat banana bread is very moist and has no preservatives, therefore, it can grow mold quickly. Allow the banana bread to fully cool to room temperature before wrapping it in plastic wrap or placing it in an air-tight container. Store for 2 days at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This banana bread can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, allow the loaf to cool FULLY to room temperature. Wrap in a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil and then place into a gallon-size freezer-safe container and store in the freezer. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
Recipe Modifications and FAQs
YES! I love to store overripe bananas in the freezer to use to make banana bread. For best results, use my fail-proof method for freezing bananas so they won't stick together. When you want to make banana bread, remove 3 bananas or about 2 cups of banana chunks. Place the bananas into a heat-safe bowl and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Mash well and let cool slightly, before adding to wet ingredients, so you won't scramble eggs.
To make egg-free banana bread, mix together 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water, let sit for 5 minutes to set up, and then use in place of an egg.
This recipe for banana bread is already dairy-free, but to make it vegan-friendly use maple syrup in place of the honey and a flax egg in place of a regular egg.
Add 1 cup of chocolate chips into the sifted flour mixture and toss the chocolate chips into the flour. This helps to keep the chocolate chips suspended in the bread instead of sinking to the bottom of the loaf.
Yes! Add up to 1 cup of chopped walnuts to the sifted flour mixture and toss to coat with the flour. This helps to keep walnuts from sinking to the bottom of the loaf.
Yes! This recipe will also yield 10 mini banana bread loaves. Prepare the batter as directed and then bake for 25-30 minutes in greased mini loaf pans.
More Banana Recipes
- Gluten-Free Banana Oat Pancakes
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bars
- Banana Sushi
- Paleo Banana Bread Muffins from Healthy Seasonal Recipes
- Banana Cake
- Banana Baked Oatmeal
If you tried this recipe for Healthy Banana Bread, I would love for you to leave a comment and rating below.
Healthy Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ cups whole white wheat flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup canola oil or melted coconut oil or butter
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed banana 3-4 bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In mixing bowl, sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine oil, honey, vanilla and egg. Add in mashed banana and mix well.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove from pan and finish cooling before slicing.
This recipe was originally shared in 2017 but was updated in 2021 with a new video and pictures.