This is the BEST Banana Bread! Moist, tender, and full of banana flavor, this recipe has been given a healthy makeover with whole grains, natural sugars, and less fat. This Healthy Banana Bread is JUST as good as traditional recipes and is sure to satisfy that sweet tooth!
Healthy baked goods can get a bad rap. Most are dry, flavorless, or have an artificial taste thanks to sugar replacements. This banana bread recipe, along with Zucchini Bread, Peanut Butter Banana Muffins, and Spiced Apple Bread, proves that just because a recipe is better for you, does not mean it has to make ANY sacrifice on taste or texture.
There is something about a slice of warm banana bread that is irresistible. As a child, it was one of my favorite treats, and now is one of my children's favorites as well.
But a healthy make-over means nothing if the bread is not delicious--right?!
Don't worry, this healthy banana bread is incredibly delicious. It has the perfect amount of sweetness and even with the whole wheat flour, it is still incredibly moist and tender. It is perfect served alone or with a slathering of peanut butter.
- Whole Wheat Flour: In place of all-purpose flour, whole grain flour is used. White wheat flour or 100% whole wheat flour both work for this recipe. Whole white wheat will keep the bread a bit lighter and the flavors of banana more pronounced--and don't worry it is still 100% whole grains!
- Oil/Butter: Because of the number of mashed bananas added to this bread, only ¼ cup of oil is needed. Feel free to use canola oil, melted butter, or melted coconut oil.
- Honey: Instead of refined sugar (a lot of banana bread recipes use over 1 cup per loaf), this recipe uses honey as a natural sweetener that adds moisture and flavor to the banana bread. Feel free to use maple syrup in place of the honey.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch loaf pan with butter or coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk or sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. It is really important to sift your dry ingredients to get rid of the lumps that your baking soda or baking powder has. If you don't want to take the time to sift, whisk ingredients really well to break up any lumps.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, vanilla, and egg. Add in the mashed bananas and stir well. Be careful to not over mix, to keep this bread tender and light.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients gently until just combined.
- Do not over mix as this will cause your bread to become rough.
- Pour the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Step Five: Bake the Banana Bread
- Bake until banana bread is no longer wobbly, or when a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out dry.
- Once banana bread has been baked, remove from oven and place on a cooling rack and let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a butter knife to loosen bread from pan and then allow to finish cooling completely on a cooling rack.
Can you use Frozen Bananas?
YES! I love to store overripe bananas in the freezer.
- Place peeled bananas into a freezer-safe bag.
- When you want to make banana bread, remove 3 bananas.
- Microwave bananas for 1 minute and mash.
- Microwave an additional 30 seconds if needed.
- Let cool before adding to wet ingredients, so you won't scramble eggs.
More Healthy Banana Recipes
- Gluten-Free Banana Oat Pancakes
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bars
- Banana Sushi
- Paleo Banana Bread Muffins from Healthy Seasonal Recipes
Healthy Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ cups whole white wheat flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup canola oil or melted coconut oil or butter
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed banana 3-4 bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In mixing bowl, sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In large mixing bowl, combine oil, honey, vanilla and egg. Add in mashed banana and mix well.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove from pan and finish cooling before slicing.
- Maple syrup can be used in place of honey.
- Be sure bananas are super ripe for the most flavor!
- This recipe will also yield 10 mini banana bread recipes. Make as directed and then bake for 25-30 minutes in greased mini loaf pans
- Egg -Free Banana Bread: In place of the egg, mix together 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Using Frozen Bananas: Microwave 3 frozen, peeled bananas for 1 minute and mash. Microwave an additional 30 seconds if needed. Let cool before adding to wet ingredients, so you won't scramble eggs.
- Add up to 1 cup of chocolate chips into the banana bread batter before baking for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
- Whole wheat banana bread is very moist, and has no preservatives, therefore, it can grow mold quickly. Allow to cool fully before wrapping well or placing in air-tight container. Store for 2 days at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and freeze for up to 3 months.