How to Use Your Pressure Cooker as a Slow Cooker: It is not as straightforward as you would think to use your Instant Pot as a Slow Cooker. This walks you through the modifications you need to know when using your pressure cooker as a slow cooker.
It is not as easy as hitting the slow cooker function on your Instant Pot and expecting the Instant Pot to cook the recipe just as the slow cooker would. I briefly cover using the slow cooker function on Instant Pot Functions, but this delves into the topic a bit more deeply, giving you the recipe for success when using an Instant Pot as a Slow Cooker.
The Instant Pot Slow Cooker function is not equivalent to the temperatures on a slow cooker, which can make using your instant pot like a slow cooker tricky.
How to Use Your Pressure Cooker as a Slow Cooker
Instant Pot Slow Cooker Conversions
- Low on the Instant Pot Slow Cooker Function is like keep warm on a traditional slow cooker.
- Medium on the Instant Pot Slow Cooker Function is like low on a traditional slow cooker.
- High on the Instant Pot Function is more like medium high on a traditional slow cooker.
To further explain:
- The low setting on a crock pot is about 190-200 degrees and the high setting on crockpot is between 225-275 degrees,
- For the slow cooker function on your instant pot the low an is about 170 degrees, normal is 200 degrees, and high is 210 degrees.
Tips for Using Your Instant Pot as a Slow Cooker
- Always be sure that there is at least 1 cup of liquid in the recipe.
- Hit your Slow Cooker Function on your Instant Pot and then hit the adjust button to change the setting to “normal” or “high.”
- If you want to cook a recipe like you would on low in a slow cooker, adjust your slow cooker to “normal” on the slow cooker function and cook for as the recipe calls to cook on low.
- If you want to cook a recipe like you would on high in a slow cooker, adjust your slow cooker to “high” on the slow cooker function and cook for as long as the recipe states PLUS an additional 15 minutes for every hour.
Recipes adapted from Slow Cooker to Instant Pot
While this post was designed to teach you how to use your pressure cooker as a slow cooker, the whole purpose of the Instant Pot is to SPEED up cooking.
Here are some of my favorite Slow Cooker Recipes adapted for Pressure Cooking:
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas to Instant Pot Pork Tacos
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas to Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti to Instant Pot Creamy Pasta
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork to Instant Pot Pulled Pork
Click on Picture to access DOWNLOAD