Instant Pot Steak Fajitas: Tender steak fajitas are only minutes away with the help of your pressure cooker!
You guys I LOVE Mexican food.
And you guys LOVE Mexican Food as well.
In fact, many of you have asked for me to adapt my Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas for the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
Just like my slow cooker steak fajitas, all you need is a can of diced tomatoes, a bag of frozen pepper and onion strips, taco seasoning, and a flank or sirloin steak.
And then it is a simple to dump into the instant pot and dinner is DONE.
A Few Notes on Pressure Cooker Fajitas:
- I love to use a less expensive cut of beef like flank steak or sirloin for Instant Pot fajitas. But you can certainly use boneless skinless chicken breasts to make Instant Pot chicken fajitas if you would prefer. Just shred the chicken using a hand-held mixer before serving–watch that tip in action here.
- It is best to serve the meat using a slotted spoon to drain off excess liquid. This will retain all the peppers, onions, steak and flavor but not leave you with a soggy tortilla.
- If you want to serve these instant pot fajita meat over rice, the extra sauce is delicious poured over the rice.
- I use a bag of FROZEN pepper and onion strips because it makes these Instant Pot Steak Fajitas super easy and more economical in winter months when peppers are not in season. You can certainly use fresh onions and peppers if you would like. I would use 2-3 fresh peppers (any color) and 1 large onion cut into strips and saute in the Instant Pot on the saute function in 1 tablespoon oil until soft and tender. Then add in the remaining ingredients and proceed with the recipes.
- If you are gluten-free, you can use gluten-free tortillas to make Gluten-Free Instant Pot Steak Fajitas, or you can serve the steak fajita meat over lettuce for fajita salad or cilantro rice, or even cauliflower rice to keep this dish paleo.
- Steak Fajita meat will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and freeze for up to 3 months.
- I only add in 1/4 cup extra cooking liquid. As you know from my Instant Pot Basics, you need at least 1 cup of liquid to cook in a pressure cooker. HOWEVER, the tomatoes and the juice from the onions and peppers will provide more than enough liquid to cook these Steak Fajitas along with an additional 1/4 cup water, beer, or beef stock (if not gluten-free, I highly recommend beer for flavor in these pressure cooker fajitas.)
What if you want to use FROZEN steak for these Pressure Cooker Fajitas
I have also used FROZEN sirloin steak strips before, I just increased the cooking time to 15 minutes instead of 8 minutes.
But if you would like to cook a frozen solid cut of sirloin or flank steak, place the frozen cut of meat in your instant pot with 1 full cup of beer or stock, sprinkle with taco seasoning and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Once pressure has released, remove the cut of meat, slice into strips and place back into Instant Pot top with the frozen peppers and onion mix and tomatoes. Set on high pressure and cook for an additional 5 minutes on high pressure.
Let’s Make Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
- 1 pound flank steak sliced against the grain into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 16 ounce bag frozen pepper and onion strips
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/4 cup beef stock or beer
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped optional
- 2 limes juice and zest
- Place the flank steak and pepper and onion mix in inner pot of Instant Pot. Season with the taco seasoning. Pour in 1/4 cup beer or beef stock and pour tomatoes over top and spread to cover meat.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once cooking time is finished let pressure release naturally and then, mix in the zest and juice of the limes and cilantro if using.
- Serve with a slotted spoon for fajitas or with the cooking liquid over rice or quinoa.
For this Fajita Recipe I recommend:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!
(And in case you misplace your Floating Valve, you can get an extra to fit your model on this here.)