Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread: Farm fresh zucchini and crushed pineapple are the stars in this tender, healthy quick bread.
I can remember summer days as a child when I would be sent out into my family’s garden to harvest zucchini.
There was always zucchini and tons of it.
Isn’t that what you hear everybody say who has a garden? It seems like zucchini is the invincible plant.
Well, except if you walk into my garden. No zucchini. Just a blank slate of dirt with a few random weeds. I have no luck growing anything. Even the weeds struggle.
So while most people are in search of people to give away their zucchini to, I am one of those people begging others to pass some my way.
Pineapple Zucchini Bread
I know a lot of people say their recipe for zucchini bread is best, but my mom’s Pineapple Zucchini bread truly is the best!
She combined zucchini with crushed pineapple for a loaf that was both sweet and incredibly moist. So in my opinion, zucchini bread must have crushed pineapple in it, just like hers. Zucchini and Pineapple were just meant to be paired together.
So when someone graciously gives me their harvest of Zucchini, this is the ONLY Zucchini Bread I will be baking. And after one taste, I think it may be the only Zucchini Bread you will ever crave again too. Not to mention this is a healthy version!
Tips on Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread:
- I used whole wheat flour for this recipe, but all-purpose flour or even 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour blend work.
- I used honey in this recipe as the sweetener, but maple syrup works as well.
- For the zucchini, I used 1 large zucchini for about 2 1/2 cups.
- Drain the crushed pineapple before mixing into the battter. Then save the pineapple juice for Dairy Free Pina Coladas.
- After I let the loaf of Zucchini bread cool, I wrap one loaf in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze one to pull out after the first loaf is gone. This will keep it perfectly fresh. The zucchini bread will store in the freezer for 3 months.
Let’s Make Whole Wheat Pineapple Zucchini Bread
Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
A tender whole grain loaf of naturally sweetened zucchini bread made with crushed pineapple.
- 3 cups whole white wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup canola oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 to 3 cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 8x4 loaf pans.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
In another bowl, mix together eggs, honey, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the zucchini and pineapple.
Divide batter between the loaf pans and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Sometimes, this may take up to 60 minutes depending on your oven.
Cool in pans for 15 minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely.