Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread: Farm fresh zucchini and crushed pineapple are the stars in this tender, healthy zucchini bread.
I can remember summer days as a child when I would be sent out into my family’s garden to harvest zucchini.
There was always zucchini and tons of it.
I crave the zucchini from my parent’s garden because that meant my Mom’s Zucchini Bread.
Healthy Zucchini Bread
I know a lot of people say their recipe for zucchini bread is best, but my mom’s Pineapple Zucchini bread truly is the best!
She combined zucchini with crushed pineapple for a loaf that was both sweet and incredibly moist. So in my opinion, zucchini bread must have crushed pineapple in it, just like hers. Zucchini and Pineapple were just meant to be paired together.
This is the ONLY Zucchini Bread I will be baking. And after one taste, I think it may be the only Zucchini Bread you will ever crave again too. Not to mention this is a healthy version!
How to Make Healthy Zucchini Bread
Step One: Prepare Baking Dish
- Lightly grease two 8 inch loaf pan with butter or coconut oil, or use a silcone baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step Two: Mix together dry ingredients
- In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
Step Three: Mix together the wet ingredients
- In another bowl, mix together eggs, honey, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
Step Four: Prepare the zucchini and pineapple
- Grate 1-2 large zucchini, to yield 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini. You can use a hand held grater or a food processor.
- Drain a can of crushed pineapple, reserving the pineapple juice to use in other recipes.
Step Five: Combine the wet and dry ingredients
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients gently until just combined.
- Mix in the zucchini and pineapple.
- Do not over mix as this will cause your bread to become rough.
- Pour the zucchini bread bread batter into the prepared loaf pans.
Step Six: Bake the Zucchini Bread
- Bake until zucchini breads are no longer wobbly, or when a toothpick inserted into bread comes out dry.
Step Seven: Allow Zucchini Bread to Cool
- Once zucchini bread has been baked, remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Let zucchini bread sit in pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove zucchini bread from loaf pan and allow to finish cooling completely on cooling rack.
How to Store Zucchini Bread
In the Fridge
- Whole wheat zucchini bread is very moist and can therefore grow mold quickly.
- Allow bread to cool completely.
- Place in sealed container and store in fridge for 3-5 days.
- Feel free to warm up or toast before serving.
In the Freezer
- Allow Zucchini Bread to cool completely.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and then foil or place in freezer safe bag.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost bread for 12 hours in refrigerator and then use within 5 days.
Tips on Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread:
- I used whole wheat flour for this recipe, but all-purpose flour or even 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour blend work.
- I used honey in this recipe as the sweetener, but maple syrup works as well.
- Be sure to use canned pineapple in 100% juice.
- For the zucchini, I used 1 large zucchini for about 2 1/2 cups.
- Drain the crushed pineapple before mixing into the batter. Then save the pineapple juice for Dairy Free Pina Coladas or Instant Pot Chicken Breast.
More Delicious Zucchini Recipes
- Skinny Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini Bread Pancakes
- Grilled Vegetable Lasagna
- Summer Vegetable Saute
- Vegetable Nuggets
Whole Wheat Pineapple Zucchini Bread Recipe
Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
A tender whole grain loaf of naturally sweetened zucchini bread made with crushed pineapple.
- 3 cups whole white wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup canola oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 to 3 cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 8x4 loaf pans.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
In another bowl, mix together eggs, honey, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the zucchini and pineapple.
Divide batter between the loaf pans and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Sometimes, this may take up to 60 minutes depending on your oven.
Cool in pans for 15 minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely.
- Melted Coconut Oil can be substituted as well for canola oil.
To Make Homemade Zucchini Bread, You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!