Tuna patties are an easy and budget-friendly recipe that is filled with flavor. Baked instead of fried, this recipe for Tuna Cakes is every bit as delicious and crispy as the classic–just a whole lot lighter.
Canned tuna fish is one of the most affordable pantry staples to keep on hand for a source of lean protein and a base for fast, economical meals.
I love to dress up tuna in recipes like Avocado Tuna Salad and these Baked Tuna Cakes.
This a really basic recipe that is made with classic flavors. From a little bit of mayonnaise for creaminess and lemon juice and zest for acidity, these Tuna Patties are a classic recipe.
The only difference here is that this recipe for tuna patties is BAKED, not fried. Which results in a lighter, healthier version. But don’t worry these tuna patties still get ridiculously crispy.
Notes on Ingredients
You probably already have all the ingredients on hand for these Easy Tuna Cakes.
- Tuna: Use canned tuna or tuna in a pouch that has been packed in water, not oil.
- Lemons: Be sure to use FRESH lemons and zest your lemon before juicing. You will only need 1 lemon for the patties, but it is best to serve the tuna cakes with additional wedges of fresh lemon.
- Seasoned Salt: If you don’t have homemade seasoned salt on hand, replace it with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
- Mayonnaise: The mayonnaise adds creaminess and richness to the tuna cakes. Feel free to replace with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
- Breadcrumbs: Panko breadcrumbs are best for this recipe. They keep the tuna patties light and crisp up beautifully. Feel free to use regular, whole wheat, or gluten-free panko breadcrumbs.
How to Make Tuna Patties
- Mix together eggs, panko bread crumbs, green onions, seasoned salt, and the zest and juice of the lemon together.
- Add tuna to the mixture and stir to just combine.
- Using your hands or an ice cream scoop, form tuna cake mixture into a patty–sort of like a tuna burger. Each patty should be made with about 1/3 cup and be even in size.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully flip and bake for another 10 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce if desired.
Step Five: Make Avocado Cream
- While these Healthy Baked Spicy Tuna Cakes are baking, make the avocado cream.
- In a blender, mix together cilantro, lime juice, avocado and salt until smooth.
Step Six: Serve Tuna Patties
- Serve each tuna cake with a wedge of lime and avocado cream.
More Delicious Seafood Recipes
- Easy Avocado Tuna Salad
- Easy Skillet Tilapia Veracruz
- Chili Lime Pan Seared Tilapia
- Salmon Patties from Self-Proclaimed Foodie
Easy Tuna Patties
- 10 ounces flaked tuna drained, well
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise defrosted
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together eggs, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, seasoned salt, and the juice and zest of the lemon together.
- Add in tuna and mix gently until just combined.
- Form into 8 patties--about 1/3 cup each with your hands or ice cream scoop.
- Place on Baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce.
In place of seasoned salt, add in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon paprika.