Quinoa Spinach Salad is a refreshing and light easy quinoa salad served over spinach with a fresh lemon dressing. This simple vegan quinoa salad is the perfect lunch, meatless entree, or compliment to grilled meat.
Hello Spring! My fingers are crossed that warmer weather is here to stay!
And when welcoming in the warmth and sunshine into my life, my cravings changes from warming soups and comforting casseroles to light and fresh salads and pastas, like Tortellini and Spinach Bowl and Southwestern Chicken Cobb Salad.
However, I still need my protein–with the sun shining and warmer temps, my family is out and about. Whether it is on a hike, a long neighborhood walk, a run around the park, or shooting hoops. And therefore we need quick, filling options to power me through my day and to get me back out into the sunshine (or back to work–but you know which one I am hoping for!)
And that is why prepping protein rich salads in advance, makes eating healthy EASY despite a busy schedule.
Quinoa Spinach Salad
This summer quinoa salad comes together in less about 30 minutes, is versatile enough to use whatever produce I have on hand, and is packed full of the nutrients and protein my body needs, making this a meatless, yet high-protein option perfect for a quick lunch or a light dinner.
How to Make Easy Quinoa Salad
Step One Cook the Quinoa
- Use my method for Instant Pot Quinoa
- Or boil quinoa on the stove.
Step Two: Add Spinach to Quinoa
- Once the quinoa is cooked, toss it with fresh spinach. Feel free to use any lettuce you have lying around. Personally, I like the way spinach wilts when tossed with a warm grain.
Step Three: Add Toppings
- Diced cucumbers
- Roasted red peppers
- Fresh peppers
- cherry tomatoes
Step Four: Make the Lemon Dressing
- Whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, capers and olive oil.
Step Five: Dress the Salad
- Finally, drizzle the fresh lemon dressing.
This quinoa salad is EASY and versatile–because that is how I like to roll.
Tips on Spinach Quinoa Salad:
- This quinoa salad is great as it sits. I will make it the day before a party or while I am prepping meals for the week to have on hand for quick lunches.
- As I mentioned, I love spinach in this fresh spring salad, but arugula or other green lettuces also work well.
- Feel free to use rice instead of quinoa, the flavors will be just as good–just call it Spinach Lemon Rice Salad 😉
- If you like really spicy foods, increase the red pepper flakes to 1/2 teaspoon.
- If the texture of capers is off-putting to you, throw them in the blender with the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and blend until smooth and then toss with the remaining ingredients in the salad. This will give you amazing flavor without biting into a whole caper.
More Quinoa Recipes
- Banana Nut Quinoa Porridge
- Quinoa Spinach Salad
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Mozzarella and Tomato Quinoa Bake
- Veggie Packed Quinoa Burgers
Quinoa Spinach Salad
- 2 cups vegetable broth chicken stock, or water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 2 cups fresh green beans trimmed into 2 inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 English cucumber diced into half moons
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers diced
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Bring stock, quinoa, green beans, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed liquid. Allow quinoa to cool slightly for about 5 minutes, if desired.
- Place spinach in large bowl and toss with cooked quinoa, mixing together allowing spinach to wilt slightly.
- Add in cucumbers and peppers and toss.
- In small bowl, combine the juice and zest of a lemon with 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, capers, and olive oil. Pour over quinoa and toss together.
- Eat immediately or chill for later consumption.